SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Zip Bind System ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Zip Bind System
Has anyone tried it?
sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 8/11/13 3:46 PM

Any opinions about this system?

I like to do all-machine binding with stitch-in-the-ditch on the front of the quilt as the final step. I've watched all the videos, and I think it would help me improve the accuracy of my bindings. But, boy, is it pricey! I'd like to hear what some of the PR quilting experts think of it.

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
AL USA
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

In reply to sewme47 <<

Date: 8/12/13 5:18 AM

I am definitely not an expert, only a beginner. I bought the system, watched the videos, thought I was doing it right, but the darned things kept slipping. Maybe I need an expert to teach me what to do, too.

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 8/12/13 8:56 AM

Thank you, Lisa, for your response!

The zip binder and stitch-in-the-ditch foot look so cool in the videos, don't they? But do they really work, is the question...your experience worries me. I have 12 quilts and 3 quilted totes to get done before Christmas, and I have recently lost some flexibility in my wrist due to an accident. I was really hoping these gadgets would help.

------

grey ann
star
grey ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/12/13 9:16 AM

I am not an expert, but sometimes these gadgets need so much tweaking and fiddling, etc. that you'd be better off to perfect the simple traditonal way to put on a binding. Just my opinion, and I have no experience with this.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to grey ann <<

Date: 8/12/13 9:46 AM

I agree usually if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. I found that out with pattern generated software.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 8/12/13 9:57 AM

I wouldn't use it if it was given away free, never mind spend money on it.

No matter what binding method you choose, you have to go through a learning process to get it right. This stuff does NOT change that. You STILL have to go through the same learning process to get it right, only for these tools the process is learning how to use the tools.

You might as well go through the learning process without them and save the money!

Especially that corner triangle clip thing for the mitered corner. WOW. All you have to do is fold your fabric! That tool actually turns that SIMPLE fold into a far more complicated thing. I can't imagine WHY they thought that was helpful in any way??

------
Cathryn

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 8/12/13 12:09 PM

that looks like a complicated tool

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 8/12/13 1:07 PM

Like this product, it takes practice and gives a less than desirable (IMO) result.

Neither product will give you the pristine look of hand stitching the binding to the back of the quilt.

Another option might be to first apply the binding to the back of the quilt and then flip to the front and use a decorative machine stitch to finish the application. Here are several samples.

-- Edited on 8/12/13 1:19 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/12/13 1:19 PM

Thank you, all. I guess I'll stick to the gadget-free binding method I've been using. You just saved me $80! Hey...now I can go buy $80 of fabric, right?

------

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 8/12/13 1:29 PM

well really since you are going to spend $80 anyway (that you would have spent on the gadget) you really should congratulate yourself for your frugality and splurge a little... maybe sped $100 on fabric :p

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Zip Bind System

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

StyleArc Creative Cate top

photo
by: Deepika

Review
Vogue Patterns 1313

photo
by: annie11

Review
Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson BaseWear One - Leggings, Top and Yoga Bodysuit

Christine Jonson BaseWear One - Leggings, Top and Yoga Bodysuit

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.