SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 450 or newer machine - Help! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 450 or newer machine - Help!
sanchy
sanchy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 4/28/09
Send Message

Date: 8/12/13 9:05 AM

I saw a Bernina 450 demonstrator at the dealers for $1999. I want a 9mm machine for garment sewing. I am not sure if I should go for the 450 or look at one of the newer Bernina models. Do the newer ones offer a lot more?

Thanks

------
Sandy

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to sanchy <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/12/13 10:20 AM

Yes, the newer models offer more. More does not always mean better. It depends on what features you want. Take your fabrics and test drive all the models in your price range. You'll know which one is for you. Also, the 7 series are having issues. A new part/service packs seem to be clearing up those issues. You'll find a thread here on PR that addresses the issues specifically:
Poll on Bernina 780,750,710

You might also check into the Artista 640 and 730. Both are discontinued but have excellent reputations. I'd recommend the 630/635 as well but those are 5.5mm machines. All these offer a color touch screen and the ability to measure the button for a buttonhole on screen.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to sanchy <<

Date: 8/12/13 11:23 AM

For the $1999 price, I would wait, if possible, until the new B560 is released in the near future. Color touch screen, auto snips, optional embroidery at purchase or later.

B560 manual

------
I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to sanchy <<

Date: 8/12/13 11:41 AM

I totally agree with Lynn. But also with SewBusy on trying the machines and determining what is the right machine for you. The 450 is a black and white, push button machine. The newer 9mm machines are touch screen, with the multi-function knobs. I much prefer the newer configuration to the push buttons but that is just me. Many people prefer push buttons. But no scissors on the 450 either. I owned a 450 for about a year. It was a lovely machine with a great stitch. Good luck in your search

------
Bernina 880, Bernina350SE,

sanchy
sanchy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 4/28/09
Send Message

Date: 8/12/13 9:34 PM

Thanks to all for your input. I always struggle with choosing between the tried and true and the new and exciting. I am not that familiar with Bernina machines so now that I have a few recommendations, I will test drive those machines to see what works for me.
Thanks again!

------
Sandy

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/13/13 2:39 AM

Gosh it's gorgeous! Any ballpark on price?

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

Date: 8/13/13 3:15 AM

I'm assuming that since it has automated snips it's a 9mm machine. Is that correct? I haven't heard of Berninas with 7mm but I could be wrong.

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 8/13/13 1:46 PM

I only know the price I actually paid, no idea on MSRP or what the regular sale price will be, but best guessing is somewhere in the $3K range without embroidery.
-- Edited on 8/13/13 1:47 PM --

------
I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to KPM <<

Date: 8/13/13 1:48 PM

A 9mm, yes.

------

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 8/13/13 2:13 PM

There's a 640 on SewItsForSale for $1200. Due diligence yada yada SNAP IT UP!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 450 or newer machine - Help!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Controlled Exposure 35

photo
by: SteffieMar...

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 7513-1000

photo
by: DonnaH

Review
Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Little Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.