SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Sewing a martingale dog collar ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing a martingale dog collar
Laurelqi
Laurelqi
Member since 3/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/14/13 12:56 PM

I just finished a 2" wide martingale collar with gorgeous upholstery fabric sewn onto cotton webbing (you know, greyhounds deserve the best!) The main collar portion had 1 slider on each end (2 sliders in all) to connect with the control loop. Main collar sewing was a breeze.

The control loop was tricky as it was 8" long and had to encompass 2 bulky sliders and 2 overlap seams to secure the D ring. There's so little room to sew, and the loop kept getting caught on the needle clamp screw as it traveled up and down. I did sew on the inside of the loop. Motor overloaded several times. Anyone have hints on how to sew in a small circumference??

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 8/14/13 3:42 PM

I've sewn several of these and don't recall having any problem sewing the loop, but I only used 1" ribbon sewn to nylon webbing. I know I used a zipper foot and had to sew going toward the d-ring. Sorry I have no more advice.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 8/15/13 4:43 AM

No problems here either. I think I used a leather roller foot once to get close on my bernina.
Used a zipper foot on the BL and just a narrow foot on my old Singer and Pfaff mechanicals.
But you may have more bulk from the upholstery fabric covering. I just use decorated webbing or stabilized fabric.
I stopped using the adjustible rings after the second one. They arent needed because I make it to the exact size needed to fit her neck. The looped section is 10". An inch needed on each side to secure down the ring that the leash will attach to. When looped it decreases to half and gives 4" of play.
The main web section has another ring securely attached to fall and lie in the lower section of her neck when standing. I put all her tags on a detachable clamp or small hinged D ring and they are easy to transfer from collar to collar.
I will edit this later to link it to my picture album.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 8/15/13 5:38 AM

Sorry for the long links but I dont get the Http embed option on PR when I post from my iTouch.

This one shows entire construction. I tested with recycled groomer bandana fabric. It worked fine for smaller dogs but after 2 mo it stretched too much for our basset hound.
http://www.dnsdickenson.net/SandisSewing/Sewing-Tutorials/Sewing-a-Martingale-Collar/

I had to add the martingale section to this one. Used length from the leash- just shortened it a bit.
http://www.dnsdickenson.net/SandisSewing/Sewing-for-Family/Embroidering-for-Tilly

Here is a close up that shows the detachable clips.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=105521831598596055558&target=ALBUM&id=5530136347328068225&authkey=Gv1sRgCLPN7Kn428P-bA&feat=email

------

Laurelqi
Laurelqi
Member since 3/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/15/13 11:37 AM

Thank-you both for your replies. I can see from Sandi's pictures that I would do better constructing the control loop first (since there's less sewing room with all those sliders and d-rings), then sew the main collar. Thanks for sharing the photos Sandi! Tilly is a cutie!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 8/16/13 7:56 AM

Glad they helped! We have done basset rescues for years, tilly is our latest- miss diva! I"ll pass a hug on to her. :)

------

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

In reply to Laurelqi <<

Date: 8/16/13 10:24 AM

I make lots of martingale collars and I usually see the one side of the control loop without worrying about the metal ring but you need to make sure you have it on the loop right if that make sense. Then I will pull it over to where it needs to be and sew the other half and secure it. I too use a zipper foot and I think your control loop size is kind of small. I make mine bigger by a couple inches so they are maybe 12 total then each side overlaps 2 and I end up with an eight inch finished loop.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 8/16/13 11:11 AM

Never thought about sewing a martingale collar for my greyhound . . . maybe I should?!

------
Kemish

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 8/17/13 6:59 AM

Greyhounds and bassets have the type of neck and head shape that allows regular collars to slip off when using a leash.

------

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
OH USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/20/13 1:25 PM

Miss my two dear whippets. BEST DOGS EVER! An amazing breed. Winslow and Bentley(who hung around 16 years providing the most gentle joy one could imagine) were awesome.

We still have a 14 year old greyhound laying around here and an ornery Italian greyhound who recently turned 10 but neither touched me like my whippets.

Anyway, no tips on sewing the collars but I was pleasantly reminded of my two best buddies when I read this thread. Thanks!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Sewing a martingale dog collar

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 8775

photo
by: lilikats

Review
Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.