SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Babylock Melody or Viking Opal 670??? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Babylock Melody or Viking Opal 670???
Buying a sm for daughter
luvfabric
luvfabric
Advanced
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 8/15/13 1:09 PM

I want to get my dd a good sm that will last her for a good long time. She wants to do some clothing, but mostly quilting and crafts. I have found a new Babylock Melody and a new Viking Opal 670 for the same price but they are that price only for a VERY short time. I have not used a Babylock but was impressed with the demo. I own Viking sm and am very familiar with other Viking models. I live thousands of miles away from her so I would not be able to help her if she has a question. Whcih machine would be best?

Char in KS
star
Char in KS
Advanced Beginner
Kansas USA
Member since 7/9/10
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/15/13 1:19 PM

I don't know which one yet . But those were two that I wanted to look at this weekend. Have you checked the websites? I was able to at least download general information about each.

Is your daughter need any dealers for these two machines? She could go at least see a demo to see if she has a preferance.

Capella
star
Capella
Advanced Beginner
Kansas USA
Member since 6/25/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/15/13 2:11 PM

I vote for the Viking Opal, simply because I love mine so much. It free motion quilts like a dream and walks over the seams of jeans. Has a lot of beautiful decorate stitches. It also has a wonderful extension table that you can purchase for it. I'm totally biased:) I have no experience with the Babylock line.

------
Pfaff 7570
Singer 9960
Singer HD4411
White 1934D

Melinda In Tulsa
star
Melinda In Tulsa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/03
Send Message

Date: 8/16/13 0:39 AM

Don't know how you could go wrong with a Baby Lock. 😍

------
Melinda

We had to get rid of the kids, the dogs are allergic

Babylock Unity, Symphony, Serenade, Imagine Wave, BL Coverstitch, BL Emore, BL Embellisher, Juki TL2010Q, Pfaff 7570, Kenmore 385.1915, Kenmore 158.1914, Kenmore 158.1430, Brother PE 150, 1938 Singer Featherweight, 1896 Singer 27 Treadle...Member of SMAD

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 8/16/13 0:55 AM

I own the Opal 670 and just love it. I did check out Melody when looking for a backup/travel machine and chose the Opal for all the wonderful features. Don't get me wrong, obviously I love BL, too, but the 670 is so feature rich and has the advantage of the sewing advisor and a nice touchscreen which is really helpful, especially for someone new to sewing:)
I agree it would be great if she could try each out to see which one fits her better.
Good luck with your decision!
Oh and what a nice gift!!

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 8/16/13 1:22 AM

I'd be more likely to say the viking only because you said you have some familiarity with them. It would potentially be easier for you to answer a machine question remotely. :)

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 8/16/13 1:38 AM

You will be able to share your presser feet with the Opal...a plus.

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 8/17/13 11:27 AM

The Melody comes with tons of feet, some dealers might even throw in an extension table, and the dealer closest to me (25 miles) offers free lifetime lessons. The Opal comes with a few less feet (I think you have to purchase the quilting feet separately, not sure) but it has more space for quilting, has the sewing advisor feature which is great for those new to sewing, and the viking feet are really awesome. Our Viking dealer does 2 free lessons, has a monthly club for viking owners where they do projects and socialize, and offers the first year cleaning free.

I think I personally might go for the melody for the extra feet and lifetime lessons, plus its been out forever (though for being out forever its pretty expensive), but then again the extra space for quilting on the Opal might make that a better choice for an aspiring quilter.

luvfabric
luvfabric
Advanced
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/18/13 3:14 PM

Update- My daughter did go to both dealers and had a demo. She had the Opal demo first and was sure that was what she wanted. Then she went and had the Baby lock Melody demo. She was sold!! The Melody does have some features that the Opal doesn't that she loved. The horizontal directional stitching was a big plus for her. As she is always mending her husbands clothes and sewing on scout patches. The Melody came with an extension table that she would have had to buy extra ($150) with the Opal and it came with a walking foot that would have been an extra $130 with the Opal. The Baby lock dealer offered unlimited classes for the machine and the Viking dealer offered 2 classes. The presser feet for the Melody start at $15.99 each versus the Viking feet start at $25 (I know because I have spent a lot of money on presser feet). The cost of both machines were the same-$999.00 on sale.
I also went to the Baby Lock dealer here where I live and had a demo of the Melody and was quite impressed. I am a Viking girl (I never have checked out Baby Lock machines before, so who knows!) but I think that this machine will serve her well for many years. I let it be her choice and I believe that she made a good one, especially for her.

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/18/13 8:36 PM

I think she made a great choice and will really love the machine. It really is important to bond with the machine you'll be spending countless hours working with. I know because my laptop and I haven't totally bonded, all my work is computer based and sometimes I really want to chuck it out the window. Congrats on new machine :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Babylock Melody or Viking Opal 670???

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.