SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Long throat sm? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Long throat sm?
sewknitcrochet
sewknitcrochet
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 6/29/13
Send Message

Date: 8/16/13 10:33 AM

What's a good mechanical sm with a long throat ie 9" or longer? :-)

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 8/17/13 7:18 AM

My mechanical Pfaff 6152 is 7" from feed dogs to right side of arm and 2.75" from feed digs to left edge so its about 10" across the entire flat bed.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to sewknitcrochet <<

Date: 8/17/13 7:22 AM

Juki TL98E or Q

Debbie

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

Date: 8/17/13 12:31 PM

I don't know if you want a wide harp due to quilting, but I just found this web site that discusses it and gives some suggestions:

http://www.machinequilter.co.uk/sewing-machines/what-to-look-for-in-a-sewing-machine/

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to SewLibra <<

Date: 8/17/13 12:57 PM

Quote: SewLibra
I don't know if you want a wide harp due to quilting, but I just found this web site that discusses it and gives some suggestions:

http://www.machinequilter.co.uk/sewing-machines/what-to-look-for-in-a-sewing-machine/

The site you have provided gets right to the point.

Thanks.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

Date: 8/17/13 3:10 PM

Your welcome! May I ask how can I learn to make a link in these posts? I just copy and paste the URL and it's not really a link. Thanks!

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/17/13 3:16 PM

I enjoy the space and speed of the Grand Quilter. I also enjoy how mechanical it is - but with the addition of a leg lift and thread cutter.

I stopped using the leg lift - but use the thread cutter all of the time and needle down. For me - I think the grand Quilter is the perfect machine.

You remember I had a machine like yours for awhile. I loved to FMQ with it - I was very new to sewing and determined to do things my way. With no pins or basting. - That worked fine for awhile and I quilted quilts in that machine.

But now, I baste big quilts and quilt sorta in quarters, from the center over and down -- I think most normal size machines can handle 1/4 of a most size quilts.

If I remember correctly - the things that was hard to get used to was my Viking (like yours) did not stop sewing as soon as I lifted off the gas. And that made it hard to stop quickly. Im finding the 15-91 to be the same way -- it gets going and wants to go a little more after I lay off the gas.

When I had a viking like yours I remember wanting the one that looked like it - but, had needle down/up -- for some reason my 150 made me have to turn the wheel an inch every time time to let the thread loose. PITA>

------
Quilting up a storm!

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to sewknitcrochet <<

Date: 8/17/13 10:44 PM

Janome 1600P-QC is a good machine as well as the Juki already suggested above.

Kaktiki
Kaktiki
Intermediate
Spain
Member since 9/19/12
Send Message

Date: 8/18/13 6:55 AM

I believe that the Janome 1600 does not have the possibility to lower the feed dogs, you have to use a plate to cover them, I think it even comes supplied with the darning foot specific to this machine. The Juki can lower the feed dogs with a lever.

I believe Babylock Jane and Brother PQ1500 are equivalent to the Juki TL98/2000/2010; the Elna 7100 is the same as the Janome 1600. Pfaff Grand Quilter and Viking Mega Quilter are the same, I donít know if you can lower the feed dogs on them, maybe someone who has the machine could confirm that. They are all straight stitch machines with 9Ē harp.

-- Edited on 8/18/13 7:05 AM --

------
Sew pleased to meet you!

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 8/18/13 7:53 AM

I am sewing on the Juki 98 (mom's machine) and it is a great machine. About 9" to right, needle up /down, and cuts thread. It also has a knee lift. It does almost as good as an industrial would. Most of these machines comes with a walking foot.
-- Edited on 8/18/13 7:55 AM --

------
sewing grammy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Long throat sm?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

McCall's 6613

photo
by: Ms. McCall

Review
Other none

photo
by: Learn To S...

Review
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

More Info
Fit For Real People DVD

Fit For Real People DVD

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.