Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Beginner's Forum > How do you keep track? Finished garment fabric care ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How do you keep track? Finished garment fabric care
Forgetful newbie is curious
reetsi
reetsi  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 4/21/12
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/16/13 9:33 PM

I was browsing around Fabric Mart (a dangerous past time) and started looking at all of the fabric care directions. I have a horrible memory, so I'm curious how other people remember which laundry cycle to throw their finished garments into. After the first two washes, I'm sure I would forget. I would have a harder time remembering instructions like "do not use steam with your iron" or "dry flat." Do people add their own labels? Just look at the fabric of the garment and know?

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/2/08

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/17/13 0:51 AM

With time you will pretty much know, possibly after many mistakes - lol. What you can do though, is if you order online the washing instructions are there. Print them out. If you shop in the store, take a piece of paper or use your "note pad" in your phone to record the instructions from the end of the bolt. If ever in doubt, you can usually hand wash in cold water and lay flat to dry. Happy sewing to you!

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB CANADA
Member since 4/8/08

Date: 8/17/13 1:11 AM

Because I have the labels on hand from my business sewing, I add a label to the items I sew with the care instructions. DH does the laundry so the tag is essential.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
27.5 yards sewn (as of 04/17/14)
20.125 yards purchased (as of 04/17/14)

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12

Date: 8/17/13 2:01 AM

I blog and keep a sewing journal. I may not blog for a while, so the journal is what I base my post on. My journal has the junk no one cares about, and swatches of fabric.

When I buy fabric, I take a screen shot of the order and add their washing instructions to a word file, so I have it even if they sell out. When I get it in, I write it on the sticker (fabric.com, as well) what the instructions were so I have them whenever I use it. Then when the garment is made, I stick that into the notebook.

I can keep up with the specialty fabrics, and if there IS special instructions, I sew the label with a red X on it, so I know to look.

But, yes, experience will give you some help in it.

bluefly
star
bluefly  Friend of PR
GA USA
Member since 8/19/06

In reply to reetsi <<

Date: 8/17/13 8:01 AM

I wash in cold water and hang to dry beforehand unless it is something like denim. After that I still wash in cold water and hang to dry. I think the dryer wears out clothes quicker so that is my practice. Since I do the same for all but denim, it is easy to remember. For specialty fabrics or extra directions for ironing, I enter it in the computer on the page where I have my patterns, yardages, fabrics and garments made listed.

------
"Let's make the most of this day"
bluefly

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09

Date: 8/17/13 8:03 AM

It depends on how you sew. Like others said, experience will come in time.
I am casual and sew for neices, nephews, grandson and charity. I like natural fibers and I prewash everything on hot- knits and wovens. I don't use wool- just cottons, silks and some rayons.
So I know everything can be washed and dried on any temp setting.
As for ironing- trickier. If I have any doubts I use a medium setting. I still tend to use a wet press cloth so its rare I ruin anything. But if the wrinkle won't budge and I need to go hotter and I am uncertain of the fabric then I test an inside seam. It would be rare to have to ever iron a polyester though since I never buy or wear it.

I use self fabric labels to mark the back of pants and tops for the kids. I stitch their name and age. The labels are soft and non irritating.

For me, no labels. I have sensitive skin. I can even feel the part that remains inside of store bought serged seams after I cut them out. So I have to remove stitches, remove labels and restitch the seam.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

JeanM

JeanM
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 6/25/05

In reply to reetsi <<

Date: 8/17/13 10:07 AM

I have no good answer.

DH (and he knows better) tends to wait until out of clean underwear and shirts, then do giant loads, in rather warm water, and then dry until 'dead', which takes long because of the size of the load...both sons also tend to the giant load (plus they don't sort even though both were taught how...grey whites, anyone?).

While the chance of 'help' with my laundry is much smaller than it used to be (one of the outcomes of this giant load habit is that each individual is responsible for their own laundry...especially after DH shrank several items of mine, even after being asked to not do my laundry), there is still that possibility, so I just make or buy clothes than can be washed and dried.

It probably helps that I don't really enjoy sewing with difficult fabrics, and that I'm not really into glitz or glam - so I tend to avoid fabrics that require special handling whether in sewing or in care afterwards.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to reetsi <<

Date: 8/17/13 5:05 PM

Since almost every piece of clothing I make is designed to be washable, I serge the cut ends of every new piece of fabric I get and then throw it into the washer and dryer as soon as it gets into the house. That way I know that everything in my stash can tolerate an ordinary wash and dry cycle. It cuts way down on the guesswork.

As to ironing, pretty much everything but certain lightweight silks gets a little steam and is ironed on "wool." You can always raise the temp if need be.

With this approach, I really don't have to worry about what care a certain fabric receives, because they all get the same thing.

reetsi
reetsi  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 4/21/12

Date: 8/18/13 12:05 PM

Great ideas! Thanks everyone! I think you've saved a few garments from destruction!

LDT2011
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11

Date: 8/19/13 8:52 AM

I use fabric that doesn't need special care. But even then mum usually hand washes all the stuff I make.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> How do you keep track? Finished garment fabric care

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Online Sewing Classes
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Fee: $34.00
(Regular $49.00)
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Ottobre Design Magazine 01-2005-18 Tunic
photo
Review by Christas on 1/21/10
Read Review

Oliver + S Art Museum Vest + Trousers Digital Pattern (5-12)
Oliver + S Art Museum Vest + Trousers Digital Pattern (5-12)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Salme Playsuit Digital Pattern
Salme Playsuit Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1778
photo
Review by rachellea7... on 3/20/13
Read Review

You Sew Girl City Bag Pattern
You Sew Girl City Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern
Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1303 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )
Vogue 1303 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $32.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1796 Pattern ( Size 20W-28W )
Simplicity 1796 Pattern ( Size 20W-28W )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN