SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Can't decide on Embroidery Hoop size needed ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can't decide on Embroidery Hoop size needed
Embroidery Machine Question
Sharon T
Sharon T
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/24/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/17/13 5:44 AM

Hi,

I'm a new member and need some help making a decision about a new embroidery machine. I own a Bernina 1130 which I adore, and a Bernette Deco 650. I bought the Deco 11 years ago, and it's been a wonderful little machine. (Turns out it was made by Brother!) The problem with the machine for me is the field; only a 4x4. I'm looking to upgrade. I'm very into Heirloom sewing, and there are things specifically I would like to do with my machine. I have found a couple of embroidery sites that have gorgeous designs for the Heirloom sewer (customkeepsakes.com) but for girls' dresses she requires a 6x9 hoop. I recently found a site for lace, and their hoop size description is rather odd. It will say it's for a 5x7 hoop, but then say the design is 5.17 x 7.12, which is larger than the 5x7 hoop. I'm still confused and scratching my head over that one. UD offers their designs in multiple sizes and I love them. Martha Pullen's embroidery designs are also geared to a 5x7 hoop.

So here's my dilema. I have a limited budget. I've seen some Youtube demos for the PE770 which offers a 5x7 maximum hoop size. I would love to have a 6x10 hoop, but money could be an issue. I would like to be able to do lace with my machine for tablecloths, etc. Have any of you used a 5x7 hoop for a corner? Does it work well, or would you recommend a larger hoop? Is a 6x10 hoop overkill in your opinion? I looked at the Brother designs and the Laura Ashley motifs are predominantly in 5x7. That would make me happy, but I hate the idea of not being able to use the designs from Advanced Designs or Custom Keepsakes because I don't have an appropriate hoop.

I know it's been said to get the biggest hoop for what you can afford, but I was wondering, is 5x7 more than adequate, or do you really need a hoop at least in a 6x10?

Thanks!

Sharon
-- Edited on 8/17/13 5:47 AM --

SewJoyfulNV
SewJoyfulNV  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/24/13
Send Message

In reply to Sharon T <<

Date: 8/17/13 3:06 PM

Sharon, so much depends on the types of projects you like to do. I can only tell you my experience. A long time ago, I had a Brother machine that did a 10 x 6. I then went to a Janome machine that only did a 5x7, thinking that was all I'd really need. However, before long I found I really (really!) missed the 10 x 6 capability, especially for doing things like long borders (I was doing a lot of bordered bath towels, sheets, pillowcases, etc. for gifts at the time). It seemed like every time I liked a design or wanted to do a project, my 5 x7 hoop was too small. I was still able to do those projects, but I had to deal with things like splitting designs and re-hooping. So it was a lot more work and took longer. I missed being able to just "hoop and go." Because of that, I eventually sold my Janome, went back to the Brother with the bigger hoop, and "lived happily ever after"

So I've found that for me at least, a 5x7 hoop capability is too limiting. But again, so much depends on what you like to do.

------
"I sing behind the plow..."

B880, B580, B635E, B1150MDA, V7 Software, TruEmbroidery for MAC, BLEnlighten, BLCoverStitch, BL Unity

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Subject: Cant decide on Embroidery Hoop size needed Date: 8/17/13 3:46 PM

Bigger is better, or so they say.

I prefer Babylock, but the dealer was what I was sold on. A good dealer is half the battle.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sharon T <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/17/13 3:54 PM

I have a very, very old Brother and I also have the large hoop for it. It's 4x9 or 10. What happens is that if I want to do a long design, such as a border, I move the hoop down a post and continue with the pattern, without having to rehoop. I'm pretty sure you could find one for the 5x7; just email Brother's website.

I would like to upgrade to the 770, but can't justify it because I don't do that much embroidery and the machine won't fit where I'd like to put it. So my large hoop, and very small hoop (smaller than 4x4) for my 4x4 Brother works fine.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Subject: Cant decide on Embroidery Hoop size needed Date: 8/17/13 6:04 PM

The multi position hoop for the brother is probably the best compromise, I had one when I had my 750d. Not having to rehoop makes it workable. 6x10 hoops/machines seem to be a big jump in price when most designs still cater for 5x7

ukdame
star
ukdame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Sharon T <<

Date: 8/17/13 6:13 PM

I have the Brother 780D with a 4x4 and 5x7 hoop. The 770 is same machine but w/no Disney added. Two of my gripes are hoops still too small for larger designs and difficulty I have w/hooping. So I would go bigger if finances permit. If course you can rotate designs or place fabric sideways ( as you can do w/hand towel) I expect to either sell mine 780D or try the magnetic hoop which is an extra $100 or so. Has anyone used these w/Brother?

------
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. ~ Franklin D Roosevelt 1843
Janome 19606 ,Janome My Excel 4023, Brother 1034D, White 1750C, Kenmore 158.1803, White 764, Brother 780D.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Sharon T <<

Date: 8/17/13 9:24 PM

I have the Custom Keepsakes christening 2 collection. It is well digitized to stitch out beautifully on batiste and other lightweight fabrics. They are gorgeous.

I think the larger hoop size is only necessary for the bodice and sleeve designs, and only then because they are digitized to stitch out the cutting and sewing lines. For that, I use the Large Oval hoop of my Bernina 730E. I can do and have done the other designs on my Bernette Deco 340, including the hem/edge designs.

I seem to remember in the general instructions that the cutting and sewing lines can be deleted with ME software to fit 5x7 hoops.

I have not tried to use the Deco 5x7 hoop for a corner only because I have not run across one yet in Kathy Harrison designs that I have stitched out.

Unless you want a good excuse to buy a new machine and you won't be making several dozen garments, the workaround for a 5x7 hoop would work.

SewJoyfulNV
SewJoyfulNV  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/24/13
Send Message

In reply to aslinnd <<

Date: 8/17/13 9:28 PM

Quote: aslinnd
The multi position hoop for the brother is probably the best compromise, I had one when I had my 750d. Not having to rehoop makes it workable. 6x10 hoops/machines seem to be a big jump in price when most designs still cater for 5x7

With the multi-position hoop, you can do a design bigger than 5x7 .... but you still have to split the design, don't you, because the machine can only "read" a 5x7 design. At least that's what I thought, but don't really know. IOW, you'd place the hoop, sew part A, move the hoop, sew part B, move the hoop, sew part C.... but how do you get the design that's bigger than 5x7 split into parts A, B, & C in the first place? Do you have to do in separate software or does your machine read a really big design and automatically break it into small chunks for you?

------
"I sing behind the plow..."

B880, B580, B635E, B1150MDA, V7 Software, TruEmbroidery for MAC, BLEnlighten, BLCoverStitch, BL Unity

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 8/17/13 10:50 PM

Spend some time at embroiderylibrary.com

They have many beautiful designs that will work with a 5x7 hoop. You might see that you'd be happy with that.

But having said that, if at the end of the day you really want to do bigger designs, then I would try to get the larger hoop if possible. The cost savings may be illusory if you wind up upgrading in a year or two out of frustration vs. buying what you really want and hopefully being happy with it for several years.

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

Sharon T
Sharon T
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/24/13
Send Message

Date: 8/18/13 2:59 AM

Thanks to all of you for your response! It was very helpful! Guess I have my choice made. Thanks again!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Can't decide on Embroidery Hoop size needed

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Simplicity 1723

photo
by: Larisa

Review
PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Buy Now
Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.