SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Joann's requires more than 1 yard to use coupon? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Joann's requires more than 1 yard to use coupon?
Lety

Lety  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 11/4/04
Send Message

Date: 8/19/13 9:00 AM

The other day my mother (who is a beyond frequent shopper at Joann's) took her cousin to buy fabric for a cushion. When she proceeded to use the 40% off coupon (it was a regularly priced fabric), she was told that in order to use the coupon she would have to buy more than one yard. My mother told the cutter that the coupon did not say anything about that and that had never happened before. The woman (who's worked there for years and is very rude) proceeded to insist that was their policy. Finally, the lady said that she would do it this "one" time in her usual rude manner. Has anyone encountered that?

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Beginner
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Subject: Joanns requires more than 1 yard to use coupon? Date: 8/19/13 9:18 AM

JoAnn's has had this policy in place since the 90s that I know of. When I was first told, I was much younger and the staff was much more polite about it. Funny enough, I got told that in Texas too.

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Joanns requires more than 1 yard to use coupon? Date: 8/19/13 9:24 AM

Wow! I never knew that!

No excuse for rudeness though :-/

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: Joanns requires more than 1 yard to use coupon? Date: 8/19/13 9:34 AM

But the coupon says "one or more yards" counts as one purchase! One yard is certainly not unreasonable.

------
JanieV

MaryDB
star
MaryDB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 2/9/08
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Joanns requires more than 1 yard to use coupon? Date: 8/19/13 11:32 AM

I am no longer surprised at anything any Joann employee says or does.

Had that been me, I would've politely and pleasantly said I no longer wanted the fabric and left it (and anything else I was purchasing) at the register and walked out.

Or - if I really, really needed that fabric - I would've left that yard at the register (after politely and pleasantly saying I no longer wanted it) and gone back to the cut counter and have them cut one and one-eighth yards.

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

Date: 8/19/13 11:46 AM

I agree re no excuse for rudeness, just curious, was she buying less than one yard? I wonder if coupon says (I don't have mine handy) "minimum one yard cut" and they read that "at least one yard" description as being MORE than one yard?

------
Karen

Lety

Lety  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 11/4/04
Send Message

In reply to Karen31 <<

Date: 8/19/13 11:59 AM

She was buying one yard since she was only making one cushion and is not a collector of scraps, she's fairly new to sewing and is not a hoarder of fabrics, unfortunately that minimalist attitude does not run in the family, it's more of an exception. The coupon states: A single cut by-the-yard merchandise equals one item.
-- Edited on 8/19/13 12:01 PM --

halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to Karen31 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/19/13 12:01 PM

I'm looking right at my coupon and it says "40% any one regular priced item"
"A single cut of by-the-yard merchandise equals one item". That to me doesn't state that you have to buy one yard or more. I would have raised hell but they know me at my Joann's and how much business I give them (I am there once a week buying something, sometimes twice a week) so I doubt that they would try that with me.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Joanns requires more than 1 yard to use coupon? Date: 8/19/13 12:55 PM

I've never heard of this. Could it be that I always buy more than 1 yard? I can't imagine that.

TinaLea
star
TinaLea  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/8/07
Send Message

In reply to Lety <<

Date: 8/19/13 3:18 PM

I wonder if different JoAnn's have different policies? I'm in MN, and the ladies at the Maple Grove, Alexandria and Minnetonka stores are fantastice every week when I see them!.

I just looked at my coupon, and it too says "A single cut of by-the-yard merchandise equals one item.....both on the "Save 40% off one item" coupon, and the "Save 60% off once regular-priced fabric" coupon. Absolutely nothing indicating there is a one yard minimum. Sounds like they might run different wording on their coupons in different areas of the country.

Edited to add - I have used my coupons in the past for less than a yard, both on trims and on fabric.

So sorry you had a crummy experience, especially when your mom brought someone else with her, not a good first experience for the cousin into the crazy wonderful world of sewing.
-- Edited on 8/19/13 3:19 PM --
-- Edited on 8/19/13 3:20 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Joann's requires more than 1 yard to use coupon?

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

New Look 6557

photo
by: Sew Melbou...

Review

Pattern

Jalie 2456

photo
by: TaylorMade...

Review
Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

More Info
Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.