SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Help me get started ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help me get started
Lost
zynx1234
zynx1234
Member since 3/5/12
Send Message

Date: 8/19/13 9:45 PM

I NEED to make my 17 yr old a quilt before she goes to college. She would like it to be twin size and I would line it to be easy. This would be my first quilt. I google quilts and quilts patterns but they can get complicated and I don't really understand the sizing/fabric amounts.

I was thinking rather that try my hand either a
1. Jelly roll
2. Charm pack
3. Desert pack
4. Layer cake

But what I don't get is how many packs of X do I buy?

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

In reply to zynx1234 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/19/13 10:25 PM

My advice would be to check out all the quilt shops in your area. When you find one where you like the quilts on display & the fabric in the store talk to them about what you should make. I went to a lovely quilt store years ago, liked the fabric but all of the quilts consisted of very tiny pieces with lots of angles. I did eventually find a nice easy book of nine patch patterns & the staff assisted me in picking out the fabric in the quantities I needed for the unlisted size.

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 8/19/13 10:49 PM

My first quilt was a log cabin from Eleanor Burns' "Log Cabin Quilt in A day."

It tells you exactly how much fabric to buy for each print/color for the size you are making.

You follow the directions for cutting, sewing, arranging, and sewing. and there are several ways to back it.

I taught this class to groups for several years and most agreed it was like magic to suddenly have a quilt.

Julia's suggestion is great, too, and you would have support.

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

sew4grands
star
sew4grands  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/23/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/20/13 8:24 AM

My first quilt was Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day too. Easy and straight lines and cuts. Google it.

------
Nancy B.
I sew with 4 Brothers and a Featherweight
Babylock Serger

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/20/13 8:40 AM

I would go to the library and find a book on simple quilts. Most libraries can request it from another library if they don't have one.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 8/20/13 9:13 AM

Here is some info on quilt sizes.

If you decide to use a standard pre-cut, just remember that you need to account for 1/2" seam allowance (1/4" each side).

A jelly roll is 2.5" width of fabric strips
a charm pack is 5" squares
a layer cake is 10" squares
I can't remember what the dessert pack is.
Most of the pre-cuts come in packs of 42, but make SURE you double check!

The simplest thing would be to use layer cakes and just sew them together as is. Since they are the largest pre-cut you will need less of them.

For a twin X-Long you'd need 2 layer cakes to make your quilt 8 rows by 10 rows.

To use a charm pack and just sew the squares together as is you'd need 15x21 rows, so you'd need 8 charm packs.

I can't remember the jelly roll sizes if you just sew them together as is, but lots of people here make jelly roll race quilts, and hopefully someone will let you know how the dimensions!

Suggested Bed-size Quilt Dimensions

These dimensions include a 15" drop on the sides and bottom of the quilt. No extra length is included for a pillow tuck. These sizes are designed for use with a dust ruffle. Quilting, if moderate to heavy, may reduce the finished size of your quilt by 1" to 3" or more and should be considered when planning the finished size of your quilt.

Twin 68" x 89"
Twin X-Long 68" x 94"
Full/Double
84" x 89"
Queen 90" x 94"
King 106" x 94"
Cal-King 100" x 98"

------
Cathryn

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to zynx1234 <<

Date: 8/20/13 9:20 AM

As far as starting you can start with something as simple as just squares the same size sewn together. You could do it as a pattern by using certain colors in a pattern.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

MapleCandy3
star
MapleCandy3
Intermediate
Member since 11/13/07
Send Message

Date: 8/20/13 1:48 PM

I've only made 3 quilts and I think my advice is to not over think it. I was overwhelmed at first my all the choices and was worried that whatever choice I made would be the wrong one.

I'll echo the log cabin suggestion. The last one I made was a log cabin quilt and I really love it! I made thick strips so I wouldn't have too much sewing and it still turned out great. And I didn't have to worry about buying x amount of fabric. I just bought a bunch of light and dark purple.

Good Luck and have fun with it :)

Melinda In Tulsa
star
Melinda In Tulsa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/03
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/20/13 2:22 PM

Check out this Eleanor Burns video. You can buy the pattern at your LQS or thru Quilt in a day. Very easy to make. Even if you are beginner.

Braid in a day

-- Edited on 8/20/13 2:25 PM --

------
Melinda

We had to get rid of the kids, the dogs are allergic

Babylock Unity, Symphony, Serenade, Imagine Wave, BL Coverstitch, BL Emore, BL Embellisher, Juki TL2010Q, Pfaff 7570, Kenmore 385.1915, Kenmore 158.1914, Kenmore 158.1430, Brother PE 150, 1938 Singer Featherweight, 1896 Singer 27 Treadle...Member of SMAD

Melinda In Tulsa
star
Melinda In Tulsa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/03
Send Message

Date: 8/20/13 2:31 PM

If that link doesn't work, go to Vimeo.com, search for quilt in a day, then braid in a day. The video convinced me to make this quilt. Super easy and uses only 1 jelly roll.

------
Melinda

We had to get rid of the kids, the dogs are allergic

Babylock Unity, Symphony, Serenade, Imagine Wave, BL Coverstitch, BL Emore, BL Embellisher, Juki TL2010Q, Pfaff 7570, Kenmore 385.1915, Kenmore 158.1914, Kenmore 158.1430, Brother PE 150, 1938 Singer Featherweight, 1896 Singer 27 Treadle...Member of SMAD

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Help me get started

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2007-117

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Ottobre Design Magazine 06-2009-25

photo
by: myraminx

Review
Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

More Info
Petite Plus 601 Pattern

Petite Plus 601 Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.