SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Practical Reasons for Adjusting Stitch Width? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Practical Reasons for Adjusting Stitch Width?
Shopping for a sewing machine, considering the Janome Sewist 509, can't find info on stitch width
Lorelai
Lorelai
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 8/6/13
Send Message

Date: 8/21/13 10:58 PM

I certainly hope there is no such thing as a silly question! Because I can't figure out if the Janome Sewist 509 has a stitch width adjustment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Janome-Sewist-509-Sewing-Quilting-Crafting-Portable-Easy-Free-Arm-FUN-/251319859643?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item3a83d4b9bb

A little about me: I want a machine that will be good for home decor (curtains, tablecloths, that kind of thing), garment construction and alteration (hello upcycling!), making bags, etc. I don't need a lot of stitches, and I'm a total beginner so I'm looking for a quality used machine. Pickings are slim on Craigslist around here, and I think that I probably have a better guarantee buying a machine off Ebay from a top rated seller with lots of good reviews to back them up (the machine I linked to above is from a very well reviewed seller who apparently sells a lot of sewing machines). I think the Sewist 509 will suit me just fine for a long while, especially because it's so affordable, but back to my original question regarding stitch width. When would I want to change that? And does anyone know if this machine has that option?
-- Edited on 8/21/13 10:59 PM --

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/21/13 11:04 PM

You would want to be able to change stitch width on a zig zag stitch and other stitches that aren't just a straight line. I can's say if the machine you're interested adjusts stitch width or not, but if it does a zig zag it probably does.
-- Edited on 8/21/13 11:04 PM --

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Lorelai
Lorelai
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 8/6/13
Send Message

In reply to Speech girl <<

Date: 8/21/13 11:19 PM

It does a zig zag - I think it has 9 stitches if you include the button hole. I know it does the straight stitch and the zig zag, plus some other more fun stitches, but I couldn't find information in the specifications, nor could I actually see a dial on pictures of the machine. Which was I asked here hoping someone who has the machine would chime in...

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/21/13 11:26 PM

Janome Sewist 509 @ Janome website

Click the Specifications button and you'll find screen with a clickable icon that allows you to download a PDF of the manual. The 509 does not appear to have the ability to adjust stitch width, only stitch length. If the ability to adjust the width of the zig-zag is important to you, then this is probably not the machine for you.

Often the simple "entry level" machines (of any brand) have stitch pattern settings that do not have stitch width adjustments, basically, the stitch width is "pre-set". I've seen some machines that have several pre-set zig-zag stitch selections, each with different widths, but no ability to make width adjustments.

CMC

Lorelai
Lorelai
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 8/6/13
Send Message

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 8/22/13 0:03 AM

Thank you for that link! It's really helpful. Basically, the other part of my question is why might stitch width adjustment be important for practical applications? I'm a total beginner shopping for my first machine, so I'm not sure what's important to me yet. But I'm doing my best to anticipate my needs.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to Lorelai <<

Date: 8/22/13 0:39 AM

Whether you will need stitch widths other than the ones pre-set on the Sewist 509 depends on what you may sew. One thing that comes to mind is sewing on buttons but it could be most anything that needs a smaller or wider setting than the pre-set ones.

Where would the 509 be sent from? I think that model # is not a US model...it maybe a UK model.

Lorelai
Lorelai
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 8/6/13
Send Message

In reply to bestgrammy <<

Date: 8/22/13 0:48 AM

It ships from Iowa... it looks a bit like the Sewist 500, but obviously without all the stitches. It might actually be an Australian model originally. Hmmm.

http://www.janome.com.au/sewing_machine_category.php?muid=sew&cid=mech

...does that matter? I wonder which machine is the US counterpart?
-- Edited on 8/22/13 0:49 AM --

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to Lorelai <<

Date: 8/22/13 1:03 AM

The address posted last was to janome.com in Australia.

So it's an Australian model. Not sure about the ebay listing shipping from Iowa as it's a bit much work for me to write down then enter into my computer.

FYI...when typing a post...above the post box there are HTML Code Buttons. Use the http:// to make a clickable link since you are typing out the entire address anyway.

How much is the price of the ebay 509?

Edited to add: The only US Sewist model is the 500. Maybe years back there were more...but for years now it's only the 500.
-- Edited on 8/22/13 1:04 AM --

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 8/22/13 3:52 AM

That one lets you adjust the zig zag width by just turning the the top dial, for plain zig zag stitches, but not any of the other stitches with a width to them at all. The way you know that, is when you look at the stitch choice dial there, there is an icon that is a curved line, going from wide to skinny right after stitch choice C, for zig zag there.

So if you see a marking like that, that's what it means.

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
online now
Send Message

In reply to Lorelai <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/22/13 9:28 AM

I personally adjust stitch width often. If I sew knits I use a narrow zig zag and when sewing elastic I use a wide zig zag, for example. If the machine you're interested in does have a range of pre-set zig zags of different widths, that may work fine for you, depending on what you're sewing. Two of my machines, a modern computerized and a 1960's mechanical, have adjustable stitch width, and I would not get a machine without this feature (my 3rd machine is straight stitch only). I think it's better to have a machine that you can grow into rather than one you'll grow out of.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Practical Reasons for Adjusting Stitch Width?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Simplicity 4047

photo
by: lauramae

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 286481-1007

photo
by: MariannaSe...

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Aurelia Cardigan

Sew Liberated Aurelia Cardigan

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.