SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Aria versus Symphony or Crescendo ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Aria versus Symphony or Crescendo
Baby Lock comparisons
Connietaylor01
Connietaylor01
Intermediate
Mississippi USA
Member since 8/19/13
Send Message

Date: 8/22/13 12:11 PM

Does anyone own an Aria? How does it compare to the Symphony and Crescendo in terms of features and pricing?

------
Sweettexasred

erinsluck
star
erinsluck  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/22/11
Send Message

Date: 8/22/13 12:20 PM

This is a new machine coming out tomorrow during the Babylock convention I believe.

------
Erin "Debbie" Wilson
Babylock Ellisimo Gold II, Bernina 350SE, Babylock Ovation, Janome 9900

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

Date: 8/22/13 1:04 PM

Based on comparable Brother machines I'm guessing the Aria is going to be the less feature rich version of the Crescendo at a more favorable price.
The Symphony is an older model, a good one, but does not include some of the things the Crescendo does, i.e. capabilities like the digital dual feed foot, laser pen guide, smaller bed, black/white vs. color screen.

------
Karen

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to Connietaylor01 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/22/13 1:04 PM

The Aria and the Crescendo are essentially the same machine with the exception of the needle/guide beam and laser sensor pen. The Crescendo has those and the Aria does not. Both of these machines offer some great advantages over the Symphony. The larger harp space, much better lighting, color LCD screen, automatic needle threader, digital dual feed foot, multi-function foot control, more stitches, etc are just a few.

I have a feeling the Symphony will be discontinued at some point seeing how the Aria is essentially an enhanced version with less options than the Crescendo. Probably a more economical model for some folks who want the larger harp, but don't mind not having the laser guide beam and pen.

Jim

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

Connietaylor01
Connietaylor01
Intermediate
Mississippi USA
Member since 8/19/13
Send Message

Date: 8/22/13 6:55 PM

I wonder what the price will be? There seems to be a huge range that varies from dealer to dealer on the crescendo. Can anyone take a guess? Also, would I be missing a lot NOT having the pen?

------
Sweettexasred

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/22/13 7:05 PM

The pricing does vary from dealer to dealer and then it also depends on where you live. The more dealers you have to go to, the better the pricing will be. However, choosing the best dealer that you're comfortable with is the most important.

I believe the Crescendo can be had for around $3500, give or take a few hundred. But that seems to be the average. So I would assume the Aria might be around $3k, but not sure. The Symphony sells for about $2k average, so maybe the Aria might be a little more in the middle....say around $2800. Is the pen really worth the extra amount? That would be up to you. The laser guide helps keep your stitching straight, but you could also use a seam guide for that. The pen itself also can designate where you want your stitches to stop. What's nice about this, is if you have a decorative stitch that you're using, the machine will adjust itself to end with a full pattern, rather than just stop mid-pattern where your stitching ends. To me, it's not a HUGE benefit to pay an extra 20% more for....but that's just me. Initially I thought the pen idea was pretty cool, but just not sure if would actually have a use for it at this point. Granted, I've never tried it, so I don't know.

If I were in the market for a new sewing only machine and I did not want to spend much, I'd probably opt for the Aria since it has the larger harp, the great color LCD screen and great lighting. With the Aria out now, I'm sure more people are going to opt for that than the Symphony.

Jim
-- Edited on 8/22/13 7:08 PM --

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

SewEverlasting
SewEverlasting
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/12/11
Send Message

Date: 8/22/13 9:54 PM

At first, I was not sold on the pen. However, I watched several wonderful videos at the Brother site for the Dreamweaver (which is essentially a twin to the Crescendo). The videos showed the pen in action.

If you quilt, the pen (and the laser beam that it can control) would be very, very useful. For example, the pen can tell the machine where to start sewing your quilt binding and where to stop. (This can be tricky when you are trying to determine if you are in that magical 1/4 inch zone for stopping and then pivoting the quilt to make the turn on the binding.)

Here's a link to the Brother videos (be sure to click on the Video tab when the page opens):
Dreamweaver videos
-- Edited on 8/22/13 9:55 PM --

------
Dreamweaver VQ3000, Babylock Ellisimo, Bernina 350SE (Dragonfly), Juki 2010Q, Juki F600, Brother 5234PRW Serger

Connietaylor01
Connietaylor01
Intermediate
Mississippi USA
Member since 8/19/13
Send Message

Date: 8/27/13 4:03 PM

Who went to the Baby Lock Convention this past weekend? Can you tell me more about the ARIA? Does it use the same feet as the Symphony or the Crescendo? Does it do a lot of things that Symphony doesn't do, if so, what? Did you find out the price? Other than not having the stylist and the laser light, would I be missing anything else? Does it have the wider Harp like the Crescendo? What does the Crescendo do that the ARIA does not? I am waiting and hoping someone will post a reply. Thanks!

------
Sweettexasred

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 8/27/13 4:36 PM

what is the difference between the digital dual feed foot and a standard walking foot?

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

Date: 8/27/13 5:00 PM

Did you read my post above? Pretty sure I answered most of your questions regarding the machines. Also, have you gone to the Babylock website and looked over the machines? All the brochures are available online for all these machines you are asking about. You can print them out and study the features.

And yes, all of these machines use the same type of feet.

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Aria versus Symphony or Crescendo

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

McCall's 6163

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
KnipMode Magazine 10-2012-02

photo
by: Sigrid.

Review
SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

Buy Now
HANDBAG CONSTRUCTION - A CD Book By Kenneth King

HANDBAG CONSTRUCTION - A CD Book By Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.