SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Need iron recommendations ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need iron recommendations
Current one is starting to not work
Kimbercrow
Kimbercrow
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 3/30/13
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 11:50 AM

My trusty Black and Decker iron of 20 years is slowly starting to die. This week the spray feature has stopped working. DH has a lot of dress shirts for work which need ironing so I can not be without one.

Any recommendations for a new one?

Thanks,

Kimber

wexford
star
wexford  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/9/12
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 7:16 PM

I love my Black & Decker D2030 I bought off of Amazon a year and a half ago. I chose it after having two $$$ made in Germany Rowenta Steamiums malfunction at the one year point (one was the heating element, the second was the automatic steam function).

Another sewist recommended the B&D and while it is not as heavy as my Rowentas were, it does a great job and is still going strong at a reasonable price.

------
Rebecca
-----------
Pfaff Ambition 1.5, Viking 500, Singer Featherweight, Singer 15-91, Babylock Evolution

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 7:31 PM

Personally, I have a hard time paying more that $100 for an iron. I have the Reliable Velocity v95 but the auto shut off is too short at 3 minutes. I know I'd love the V200 but I can't bring myself to shell out the cash. Right now I use the Black & Decker D2030 Digital Advantage which I like very much. The auto shut off is 8 minutes and as a quilter I can tolerate that fine, it heats quickly.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Evatgirl73
starstar
Evatgirl73
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 7/28/03
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 9:20 PM

Another happy user of the B&D D2030 here! I had one several years ago, it died after the dogs knocked it off my ironing board one too many times and for some reason, at that time it was not available in any stores or online. So, I bought a replacement B&D (all temp steam something) and while it was *ok* it was certainly not as good as the 2030. Fast forward a couple of years, all temp steam dies (weirdo death, B&D actually replaced it even though it was over a year out of warranty, yay for good customer service) and I bought myself a D2030 while I was waiting for the replacement iron from the company. I was so happy to see the 2030 in stores again!! I'm using that one while my replacement all temp steam is still in the box, although I will say that that iron does have nice steam and will be used as a steamer and back-up iron for sure. :)

------
EvaSAHM to 2 beautiful girls, born Sept'01 and June'04!

ASiverson
star
ASiverson  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 5/31/11
Send Message

Date: 8/25/13 10:38 AM

I used to have this B&D Iron also and loved it. Unfortunately, I myself (no dogs here) knocked it off my ironing boards one too many times. I then purchased a Rowenta and now have that and a EuroSteam, which I love, love, love. The EuroSteam was expensive but I use it on everything, ironing and pressing. Love it and it does work.

------
Annette

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 8/25/13 11:14 AM

tagging for search
ironingthread
-- Edited on 8/25/13 11:15 AM --

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
DH eye tumor is starting to shrink! Yipee!! This is very good news.
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ..Thank you +

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 8/25/13 12:43 PM

I am also a D2030 user! I actually ordered this to replace a cheap and old iron for my parents. Since they don't iron as often as I do, when my Rowenta started to occasionally spit, I swapped for the B & D. So far it's been doing pretty well, although it does ask to be cleaned quite frequently.

My only hesitation with this iron (and many of the ones on the current market) is how the electronic components will hold out over a prolonged period.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 8/25/13 2:10 PM

I adore my non-steam iron. I do have a steam iron as well, which I tend to use when ironing fabric initially and ironing washed shirts, but for all the ironing while sewing, I use the dry iron and if necessary will spray water on my press cloth (silk organza scrap). Since you specifically mention shirts, I don't know if you would like this, but since I love mine so much I figured I'd mention it.

Other options for you to consider would be a steam generator or gravity feed unit.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Kimbercrow
Kimbercrow
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 3/30/13
Send Message

Date: 8/26/13 9:05 PM

Thanks for your recomendations and link for past threads.

I lucked out and won a Reliable V100 on ebay for $11.50 with free shipping! Wow!!

Sibilance7
Sibilance7  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IL
Member since 8/10/11
Send Message

Date: 8/26/13 10:30 PM

I also have the Black and Decker 2030, and I'm going to confess a dirty little secret - I've had it for 6 years and I've never once cleaned it! I always use distilled water, though, so I don't feel too terrible about it. So I would highly recommend this iron, which has served me well even though I sort of neglect to take care of it.

------
My blog: www.feministstitch.com

I sew on:
Olivia, my Pfurple Pfaff Creative Performance
BabyLock Evolution

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Need iron recommendations

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Kwik Sew 3338

photo
by: LynnRowe

Review
Other Drape Drape

photo
by: Cation Des...

Review
Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.