SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > How do you keep the ruler from slipping around ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How do you keep the ruler from slipping around
Ruler slipping when cutting strips
KathleenNW

KathleenNW  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 5/20/06
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 5:12 PM

I'm not new to using a rotary blade, but there has to be a way to keep the ruler from slipping around so I can make exact cuts for piecing.

What's the secret?

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/24/13 6:39 PM

There are a number of things. Part is hand placement. There are things you can put on the bottom of your ruler to keep it from sliding. I bought a roll of this plastic film stuff from my local quilt shop and put that on the back of some of my rulers, it seems to help. There's this other thing called a Gypsy Gripper that I've seen (but never used) and other people here have recommended something called a quilters slidelock. The slidelock is probably the most expensive.

Kaktiki
Kaktiki
Intermediate
SPAIN
Member since 9/19/12
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 6:42 PM

When you position your hand on the ruler, place your little finger off the ruler on the fabric, that helps to stabilize it. Press the ruler down firmly, take a short cut, if you have to make a long cut, stop and reposition your hand on the ruler before you keep cutting.

There are also products to make the ruler less slippery (InvisiGrip, rubber dots or felt pads) that you can stick to the bottom of the ruler. The Creative Grids rulers already have non-slip dots on them. And there are some homemade techniques too – you can place dots of clear nail polish on the bottom side of the ruler and sprinkle them with salt. Leave to dry completely before using! Good luck

------
Pfaff Performance 5.0
Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118

lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 7:11 PM

I put masking tape (not the blue one, the white one) all along the center of my ruler for a makeshift none-slip strip.

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to KathleenNW <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/24/13 7:55 PM

I've been quilting for nearly twenty years... I had a whole set of Omnigid rulers... they slip. I have tried all the fixes but the truth is they slip even still. Except, Creative Grids rulers (nayy).

Hand and arm placement are important when cutting against a ruler. I always cut so the ruler is lined up with the side of my body and hand holding the rotary cutter. In other words, I do not let my hand holding the rotary cutter to cross over my body as I cut so as to exert pressure or force that will move the ruler in the process of cutting. It's hard to explain. Secondly, I place a good deal of weight on the ruler to keep it in place and lean into it as I push down. Since replacing all my rulers with Creative Grids I found there is no need to inch my hand up the ruler as I cut. I believe because of this I have effectively reduced the chance of sipping significantly. I currently work part time at a quilt shop and can cut hundreds of yards of fabric a day... all our cutting tables are equiped with Creative Grids.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to KathleenNW <<

Date: 8/24/13 8:42 PM

When I started using a rotatry cutter and 6" x 24" Dritz ruler, it slipped and slid when I tried to cut straight lines. I bought a pkg. of Fabric Grips and placed them at the four corners of the ruler. They held up rather well and the pkg of grips lasts for years. I just recently replaced the worn out ones with four more from the original pkg. The profile is thin enough that you still get enough contact with the fabric to hold it in place.

I also use the Gypsy Gripper with my large ruler and LOVE it. I had a smaller blue handle with suction cups on either end, but this beats that hands down. Here is a photo of the Gypsy Gripper. If you happen to have a Harbor Freight in your area, they sell a tool for gripping glass during installation, whether for doors or windows, that looks almost exactly the same except for the blue and white color. I checked their online listing, but couldn't find one. However, I was in the store a few months back and saw one and thought, darn, that would've worked just as well and cost at least half as much. Anyway, good luck solving your sliding problem.

------
Judy

emmyhonan
emmyhonan
Member since 9/1/06
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 8:59 PM

The best rulers for cutting strips are the June Tailor slotted rulers. I got my gripper at Harbor Freight and I love my Creative Grids rulers.

DonnaBT
DonnaBT  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 2/20/10
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 10:40 PM

After trying the rubber dots (which just fell off almost immediately)
I bought some Invisigrip which has worked really well and very easy to apply.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/24/13 10:50 PM

I bought a couple of packages of the sandpaper sticky circle dots at JAs and they work like a charm - you also have to position your arm and hand so as not to put directional pressure on the ruler. I also turn my cutting mat and fabric if I can so that I cut all the sides the same way. Two sides of a rectangle and then the other two sides after turning the stuff. I have been trimming 12" squares, and that's what I do. Those little sandpaper dots are fabulous.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Scheri
star
Scheri  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

Date: 8/25/13 2:13 AM

Steady Betty dots.

------
Scheri Manson
Edmonton, AB CANADA

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> How do you keep the ruler from slipping around

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Butterick 5257

photo
by: sewnaughty

Review
McCall's 6353

photo
by: beanchor

Review
Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.