SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Toddler pants with no inseam? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Toddler pants with no inseam?
Any pattern suggestions?
maezen
maezen
Intermediate
Member since 12/11/05
Send Message

Date: 8/25/13 4:17 PM

My friends' two year old boy has eczema on his legs and the inseam of pants and shorts are particularly irritating to him. Do you know of any pant/short patterns that font have the inseam?? Any other advice?
TIA

marisa.james
star
marisa.james
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 7/18/05
Send Message

In reply to maezen <<

Date: 8/25/13 4:48 PM

I don't know if you can avoid the inseam, but I know this book has some instructions for making comfortable seams. I think one of the authors has a kid with sensory problems.

Sewing for Boys

beginagain
star
beginagain  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kentucky USA
Member since 10/30/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/25/13 5:38 PM

My husband doesn't like the seams on his PJs. I do a french seam to the outside, then stitch it down. It looks a little like a flat fell seam that way.

------
If you wait for the perfect time to start, you'll never start.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/25/13 5:58 PM

You could use just any basic toddler elastic waist kind of pants pattern. It would work particular good in a soft bendable knit.

What you would do, is on a table lay out the font and back pattern leg pieces just side by side next to each other. Now slide them closer to each other so they are actually overlapping at the top inner crotch seam allowance on the inseam there, and in at the 5/8 of an inch sewing line. Stick another piece of paper under them. You want them to overlap there, as you are not going to have any seam or seam allowance on the inseam, just only the outer leg seam now instead. Tape all down to the spare paper underneath, and cut out as one piece, as now you have a only a 1 piece pants pattern with only seams on the outer leg. And you are just going to cut two of those.

Less leg shaping that way, but it's a toddler with a skin issue, not a fashion model, so I think would work just fine. Not so good on a woven or denim, or corduroy, as might be a bit bunchy to have more tube like legs like that, but in a soft knit, I think would work just fine for a toddler.l You could try that. Lots of pants are kind of made that way in the reverse with no side seams and front and back together, so you would just be doing the same thing, and instead having no inner leg seams instead. You are going to be still stuck with just the center front and back seam on the pants though, kind of hard to ever get rid of that one too, and the inseams at the same time.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 8/26/13 6:07 AM

Your friend may also want to explore if all seams are irritating or particular fabrics or styles.
While using the knit and cutting one piece is a a good, workable suggestion for now it becomes more difficult as the child grows.
I would use all natural knit fibers until it is improved. Then add back all natural wovens with the explained french seam technique. If all goes well, then expand to other fibers and fabrics. Sometimes they outgrow it.
I wish you the best. I know how rough this is on the family as both my husband and grandson have eczema.
-- Edited on 8/26/13 6:09 AM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

juliette2
star
juliette2
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 8/26/13 9:19 AM

I agree with beauturbo.

------
It's a custom-made designer original. I made it myself.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to maezen <<

Date: 8/26/13 11:43 AM

My son could not wear cotton diapers or disposable diapers with cotton fibers. (37 years ago and, thankfully, he grew out of his sensitivity to cotton).

Other suggestions......
Try the pants/shorts with no inseam in different fabrics.
FYI, Tencel has not been a good fabric for me in our humid climate. The wood pulp fibers suck the moisture right out of the air and seams and waistbands become irritating (to me).
Try a pair of shorts with no inseam out of comfortable wicking fabric, a men's athletic shirt could be a fabric source.
Consider no hem on shorts for around the house or hemming the shorts on the outside of the leg but trimming to an evened up plain raw fabric edge where he is irritated.
Sometimes steam pressing with no starch can make a fabric feel smoother.

Check some garments to make sure that the rinse cycle is getting out all of the detergent. We are a double rinse family.

Revisit the laundry detergents. We could use Tide and Whisk for years. Then something changed. Our detergent now is 7th Generation Free and Clear liquid. All (brand) Free and Clear seems okay'ish.

Skin test Monistat Chaffing Relief Powder Gel. If the Monistat passes the skin test, it could be tried on a two inch strip of skin under a seam.
Skin test California Baby Calming Powder. If it passes the skin test try dabbing on small amounts with a cosmetic type disposable pad instead of 'shaking' on lots of powder. Again, if it passes the skin test, suggest moving to a bit larger test patch in the affected area. With any product, slowly increase the amount of the skin test/patch area before trying on the entire affected area.

Hard to keep a two year old still......when our son was younger than two he had daily 'airings' on a blanket in whichever room had nice sun.

If the climate is humid try a mid day change of bottoms. The fabric could be clinging to moisture like the Tencel I had trouble with.

Hubbie used to use a very fine and soft powder - I think it was a powder designed for women. Can't think of the name right now. A quick search yielded up an ultrafine baby powder with arrowroot for absorption. This was before finding the California Baby products. The ultrafine powder did not act as abrasive on his sensitive skin.

If anyone one tries the California Baby Tea Tree and Lavender, try diluting it half and half with purified water. In this little guys case, I would dilute it more, perhaps one part Cal Baby and three parts water to start. And, of course, multiple skin tests.

He might be a candidate for seamless athletic compression type shorts, possibly fashioned from microfiber tights until he grows into a rtw version. A faux fly could be stitched on when he reaches an age of awareness.

I hope he becomes less sensitive. The fifth grade Catholic school uniform pants were killer. By then our son had outgrown his cotton sensitivity. But those uniform pants were like low grade starched cardboard. He had to wear something under them. Probably now a doctor's note would have allowed switching to more humane pants (they were truly awful).

Best wishes to your friend and her little guy.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to maezen <<

Date: 8/26/13 11:48 AM

Another wild 'out there' thought. Our doctor thought that straight juice was too potent for little systems. He was rather forward thinking in having us limit the juice - especially apple - and having us dilute juice to at least 50/50 with water. That did help our son.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to maezen <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/26/13 1:48 PM

It could even be the thread that irritates his skin, and not the inseam itself. Most RTW uses polyester serger thread. Some children are sensitive to polyester or any type synthetic thread. Perhaps a cotton thread would help, though it might not be as strong unless one of those super strong seams are done on the sewing machine, first.

Quickie
star
Quickie
NETHERLANDS
Member since 10/8/10
Send Message

Date: 8/26/13 3:08 PM

Jut a strange idea: Take a "normal"pajama-pant-pattern, cut a vertical line Half way the leg. Lay the inseams as good as possible on a piece of paper. You will perhaps have some places where the former inseams do not "reach" each other. See how big tgese gaps are and take that amount off from the side seam. Well perhaps this is not a shape that will be currently worn by many others, but does that bother you? You could still bring the seams to the outside and cover them with a trim. I also see possibilities for seams on the central front and back of the legs

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Toddler pants with no inseam?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Jeans for Real People DVD Set

Jeans for Real People DVD Set

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.