SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Pants...UGH!!! ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pants...UGH!!!
Let me vent...please!
Carol Mendoza
star
Carol Mendoza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

Date: 8/27/13 2:34 PM

I'm so very....oh, I just don't have the word for it! I wanted to make a pair of pants with an actual pattern, so I went to the ASG conference and paid to be fitted for the Eureka Pants pattern and bought the pattern. I made all the adjustments as given by the fit expert and then I cut my fashion fabric (you know the pants I tried fit as she was pinning so why not cut the fashion fabric..right?), I stitched them up and tried them on....HUGE! So, I unsew, then take in what was too large and sew again and then finish them after checking fit. They still seem a bit too large, but I thought I would just throw them in the washer and dryer, surely they will shrink a bit...but NO they are still huge. I can easily grab at least 2 inches in the back center seam where the zip is. Maybe it is the fabric??? So, I moved on to the next pattern I have, after signing up the Craftsy class with Sandra Betzina. I tried on a pair of her pants while attending the PR weekend in San Fransico and they fit perfectly with no adjustments. So I make the pair with actual muslin fabric this time and these are way too SMALL! I'm so frustrated .
Thanks for letting me vent! I feel better now and I know I'll go back to the muslin and make some adjustments and try it all again.....later, much later!

I know it can be done, because I've read that some of you have actually been able to make a great fitting pair of pants using a pattern. I've made a pair by copying a Talbot's pair that fit well, but I wanted to make a pair using a real pattern darn it!!

------
Bernina 730E; 440QE; Vintage 121; Babylock Evolution

lca
star
lca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 6/4/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/27/13 3:05 PM

I feel your pain! I get a different fit every time I make a pair of jeans even though I use the same pattern. Each demin is different. So what I do is buy enough of the "real" fabric for a muslin and real pants. If the muslin works out, fine, I have two pair of jeans. If not, I can make changes. Even the color of fabric can make a difference in fit. You don't have to make full length pants, nor do all details to access the fit.
-- Edited on 8/27/13 3:08 PM --

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Carol Mendoza <<

Date: 8/27/13 5:16 PM

Pants are the hardest of garments to fit for some of us. I made multiple muslins before I achieved my tnt pattern.
I suggest that you make another muslin and add in case sas to the side and inseams. I like to add another 5/8" to 5/8" sas for a total of 1 14". Mark your side seams and fit as you sew.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Carol Mendoza
star
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K <<

Date: 8/27/13 5:27 PM

Thanks! I'll get over it, I just had to vent!!

------

Carol Mendoza
star
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

In reply to lca <<

Date: 8/27/13 5:29 PM

Yes, I really think my first pair was a lot of fabric issues. It is a rayon fabric that I bought online because it said "great for pants"! I'm thinking it really isn't all that great for pants....in fact if I can get the fit better, I'm not really sure I'll want to wear them anyway because of the fabric.

------

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
Member since 12/21/02
Send Message

Date: 8/27/13 5:49 PM

It's hard, and unless you have special powers that the rest of us don't, trial and error is the only way. And then, even once you have a good pattern, always add extra on the the ss allowances, because every fabric is a little different.

Don't give up! I have over a dozen swatches pinned to my TNT - so I know I have made it at least that many times. So putting in the work to get that pattern to fit is time well spent, even if it is frustrating.

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
other artwork blogged here: http://robynjorde.com/blog/

Sewingmi
star
Sewingmi  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 11/8/05
Send Message

Date: 8/28/13 4:58 PM

I recently bought 2 pairs of jean on-line (Gloria Vanderbilt, in case you're wondering) They were the same size and style - and color...and yet they each fit differently! I was stunned. One pair fit perfectly and the other was so much tighter in the thighs. So it must be the fabric, and it must affect everyone from home sewers to professional companies!

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Carol Mendoza <<

Date: 8/28/13 8:42 PM

Have you tried a Burda pants pattern?

I'm not saying Burda pants will necessarily fit you perfectly, but a lot of people have found that they're drafted well to start with. Also Ottobre Woman.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Carol Mendoza
star
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 8/28/13 11:31 PM

I have and style arc as well. The style arc aren't too bad but I need to tweak them a bit, just not sure what to do to fix. I'll figure it out, I just am used to sewing tops, skirts, and dresses with no problems that I can't figure out how to fix.

------

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 7/10/13
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/29/13 8:13 PM

I will be watching all the discussions here. I am right smack in the middle of trying to figure out the whole pants thing myself.

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Pants...UGH!!!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Vogue Patterns 1027

photo
by: Jgpea

Review
Petite Plus 202 Pattern

Petite Plus 202 Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.