SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > I need help with my new Juki F300 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I need help with my new Juki F300
tension & thread nest issues
jenpr
jenpr
Advanced Beginner
Member since 8/27/13
Send Message

Date: 8/28/13 11:08 AM

Juki lovers - please help me! I was so excited to jump on the Juki bandwagon but my new F300 is doing this straight out of the box I've tried rethreading and playing around with the tension but there's no improvement. I'm also getting these thread nests every time I start a new stitch - I've tried holding the thread down with my thumb but that doesn't help either. And when I do manage to get a straight stitch, it doesn't stay straight the whole way through. Has anyone else encountered this with their new Fseries machine?

-- Edited on 8/29/13 12:21 PM --

mkhpaintsew
mkhpaintsew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IN USA
Member since 4/5/06
Send Message

In reply to jenpr <<

Date: 8/28/13 11:24 AM

Make sure you look at the threading set-up for this machine. When I bought my F600, I threaded it right up and it just didn't sew right. Finally, I looked at the threading pattern in the book and it was a bit different than what I was used to. I've been threading sewing machines for years, too. So, you might want to check that.

Also, if you use the scissor cutter on the machine, you will get those thread nests at the beginning of the next seam. Although it seems like a great feature, I quit using them because the thread tangles bugged me.

Good luck!

OBX
OBX
Advanced Beginner
NC USA
Member since 4/23/10
Send Message

In reply to jenpr <<

Date: 8/28/13 12:50 PM

I also recommend reading the manual for both top and bottom threading. Make sure the bobbin is inserted correctly and the thread is going in the right direction. I'd also reinsert the needle to make sure it is seated. My needle bar is fiddly and I have to check to make sure I have it right. You may also have some packing material stuck somewhere as Styrofoam pieces can lodge themselves in the smallest of nooks. I'd do a thorough cleaning by removing the bobbin case and checking for anything that may be caught. I have the 400 and have wonderful stitches, but I do have to adjust the tension for different weights of thread. If none of that works, I'd contact the seller for suggestions as it is always possible to have a faulty machine.

LindaBee58
LindaBee58
ITALY
Member since 7/10/09
Send Message

In reply to jenpr <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/28/13 3:31 PM

Are you threading the machine with the sewing machine foot up? This is very important to do. If you thread the machine with the foot down the thread will not go into the tension discs properly.
Try changing you needle. Use a universal 80 to start with if you are sewing on cotton fabric.
Check all the dials on your machine to see they are in the right position.
Do not pull or push the fabric under the machine, let the machine guide it on its own whilst you gently hold the fabric in position.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to jenpr <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/29/13 0:00 AM

Looked at the picture...while realizing the pic is a close up...still think the thread looks thick and the fabric looks coarse. So is that the fabric and thread for your project?

Thicker thread requires a larger eye needle...and that fabric may require a different type needle as well. What kind of fabric is it?

How about trying out the machine with different thread and a scrap of different fabric...then if the stitching is better you know the problem lies with the thread, fabric or both.

There are many other possible twirks (a name I made up) going on...wish I was right there to see each little nuance. But for now...let's clear up any issues about the thread and fabric...and possible needle size/type...btw...what needle is being used...the one that came with the machine is probably a 14 Universal...right?

Oh...forgot to welcome you to PR...glad you are here.

Edited to add: Looked at your sm's manual online...and the fabric and needle chart only suggest up to a size 16 needle...so no size 18 (and up) needle for it.
Might as well also add...be sure to use the right size spool cap for the size of the thread spool in use...and use the bobbins that came with the sm rather than some old ones from another sm you might have.
-- Edited on 8/29/13 1:14 AM --

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 8/29/13 3:24 AM

Look at your thread spool, and make sure it does not say it's "glaced hand quilting thread", as it does look thicker and not very bendable and kind of stiffer, than regular garment sewing thread would even be, to me in your photo. If it actually says for "glaced hand quiliting thread", just toss it even, and don't use it in a machine. If ithe thread has got no label anymore, and you can't even tell what it is, then try a whole another different spool of regular size thickness that you are sure is real garment sewing thread- and in the bobbin too. With that, and your fabric, try a new size 12 or 14 needle too. See if that does any good or a big difference at all.
-- Edited on 8/29/13 3:29 AM --

jenpr
jenpr
Advanced Beginner
Member since 8/27/13
Send Message

Date: 8/29/13 12:20 PM

Ok, I'm back. Unfortunately, I only get to play around with my machine at night time so my responses are a bit delayed. Thank you ladies for all your input. (And thank you bestgrammy for the welcome!)

I followed exact threading directions as stated in the manual even the first time I threaded but rethreaded two more times just to make sure that wasn't the issue.
I made sure the foot was up when rethreading.
I reinserted the needle to make sure it was fully seated - I'm using the needle the machine came with.
I also changed the bobbin thread yesterday to purple to help troubleshoot - please see new pictures. I'm using the bobbin that came with the machine and spool cap is correct size.
I didn't realize the picture made the fabric look so grainy and the thread so thick - it is your typical Gutermann all-purpose polyester thread. I'm not sure what the fabric is.. just cheapie 100% cotton I purchased at a local store to use for a muslin. Slightly lightweight.

Tonight I'll try different fabric and different needle size. Anything else?

kcurtis
kcurtis  Friend of PR
Advanced
CO
Member since 12/15/12
Send Message

In reply to jenpr <<

Date: 8/29/13 2:51 PM

Your needle tension is too loose. Set it to a higher number to tighten it up.

You should NOT be seeing that much top thread when viewing the bottom side of the fabric. It should be tight enough to pull it back up to the middle of the fabric. With thinner fabrics it can be really hard to make the top thread completely disappear, which I found with my test using muslin.

I sewed some Muslin and set the tension from 1 to 9. I also did a single stitch at the end of the section on tension #1 and I removed the thread from the tension disc to completely loosen it to exaggerate very loose thread tension.

Needle thread is RED
Bobbin thread is BLACK

(Hopefully these images are not too big. I had to make them this size to seen more detail)

Even with the tension set at the highest value of 9 on my machine you can still see a tiny bit of the top (Red) thread on the bottom. This test was done on a Janome HD 1000. It might be different on your machine.

Try turning your thread tension all the way up and see how it looks.

------
Just a hack that sews for a living. ;)

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to jenpr <<

Date: 8/29/13 3:22 PM

Maybe with this slightly light weight fabric..adjust the presser foot pressure.

Since you have stated the upper thread has been re-threaded several times and the manual instructions gone over several times as well...just wondering about checking the manual for the bobbin threading instructions too. You probably have done that...so if adjusting the presser foot pressure does not help...then I suggest contacting the vendor or dealer your sm was purchased from before your return time frame is up. Something may not be right with this particular sewing machine.

Did you keep its box and styrofoam packing??

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/29/13 3:40 PM

Does not matter if it's a brand new needle in a little package of sewing machine needles, or one from a big box of 100 sewing machine needles or a needle attached into a brand new machine. Unless it really had a test stitch out under it, and all that needle thread still firmly attached into all that stitching on the test sample at all. Just because needles are cheap and disposable, and even come brand new from needle factories bent up and misshapen sometimes. So, if anything ever not sewing good for you, you always need a new needle, to at least try with. Just the way it goes, as needles are not perfect often. So, still get that needle out of there, and use a new one.

I think normal thing to do, is have someone else try it, to rule out human error on needles, threading and a bunch of stuff. Maybe you have a neighbor or some sewing machine place near you that could just do that? So you could take it back to where ever you got it from, and just do that. They would know if machine problem or not in probably about 2 minutes. Most sewing/stitch kind of problems are really human error, in choices of how something is used, but not all of them, all of the time at all. If an internet/mail kind of purchase, I do think sending stuff by freight back and forth over huge mileage distances though is kind of stupid and kind of very expensive, and time consuming, if nothing is really wrong with anything at all, and just operator error in any way.
-- Edited on 8/29/13 3:42 PM --
-- Edited on 8/29/13 3:44 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> I need help with my new Juki F300

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Butterick 5794

photo
by: InbalSN

Review
New Look 6913

photo
by: psloniger

Review
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now
SewBaby Wearable baby blanket Pattern

SewBaby Wearable baby blanket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.