SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Some sad news.. ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Some sad news..
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 8/28/13 2:37 PM

We found out today the owner of my company and my boss even though he's mostly retired has cancer. He's in his mid 70's and as some of you know we've had our times disagreeing, however I wouldn't wish this on anyone. So immediately went there oh I should make him a quilt. I have mixed feelings about this. Even though I've worked for the company 7 years this past June. We aren't exactly close.However I do think he considers his employees here as part of his family. So I'm kinda of undecided about the quilt. This is the exact same timing as my sis and time of year. He's in the hospital right now recovering from his second chemo treatment. I have a lot of stuff going on in my life right now. I could whip up a flannel lap quilt in a few days I have lots of flannel. I remember my sis use to complain of being cold when she was getting chemo.
-- Edited on 8/28/13 2:39 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 8/28/13 3:03 PM

I always just follow my heart.. Problem is I am bighearted.. but I see no reason why you shouldn't if you would enjoy presenting him with it.. I am sure he will get use out of it .. and I bet no one else has thought of this in his family etc if they do not sew.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/28/13 3:40 PM

I saw lots of chemo patients when I took my dad and I can tell you a flannel lap quilt would be warm and generous gesture. He'll probably really appreciate it.

There's something about having things around that show the support of others that helps a lot. The ones who were there alone really broke my heart.

There's also plenty of smiles and encouragement there; I don't mean to paint the chemo treatment centers too darkly.

------
Mary

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 8/28/13 3:41 PM

My hubbie has been in remission for a nice long time now but he sure enjoyed the lap sized afghan my sister made for him. Most often, being still helped him with nausea and headaches during the day and a half after treatment that was the worst period for him. (All different for everyone.). The afghan sure helped him cozy in. He's fine now and I have taken it over. :)

Most of us would do whatever we could to help a stranger or a stray animal feel better. If you are moved to convey your concern to anyone and to offer them any little bit of comfort, why not? I have gifted bosses, and others, who have all the money in the world to buy whatever. They have always been moved to know that someone cared enough to make something or to pick out that one little special something to help make their day more pleasant.

A small lap quilt would be perfect for keeping warm, folding into a pillow, balling up against an upset stomach, using as a head rest on the long drive home after treatment... It is a wonderful idea.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/28/13 4:15 PM

Cancer sucks Wolf, and I am sure a flannel quilt made by you would be much appreciated.

------
Cathryn

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 14 members like this.

Date: 8/28/13 4:40 PM

Do it. You will never regret doing it, but will regret not doing it. Flannel would be most welcome during this time.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/28/13 4:48 PM

Lovely idea, and I agree, the only thing you would regret is NOT making a quilt.

I am not at all surprised that you thought of doing this.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/28/13 5:07 PM

I think making his a quilt is a wonderful idea.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/28/13 5:58 PM

I am another one who thinks making a flannel quilt is a great idea. I am sure he will appreciate it.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/28/13 6:20 PM

There is never a time for news such as this, I am sorry to hear it. About the quilt, you should do what would make you feel best. If you could make one quickly and you would feel good about it, then you could do that. If you didn't make one, and you would beat yourself up later, then maybe you should.

If, however, you would feel that it was too much, or wouldn't be appreciated, then you shouldn't do it.

Whatever seems best to you will be the best thing to do.

------
Barb

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Some sad news..

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 8795

photo
by: JillyBe

Review
Deer&Doe Robe Sureau

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
SewBaby Baby Doll Puppet Pattern

SewBaby  Baby Doll Puppet  Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.