SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > I just adopted a 'new' machine! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I just adopted a 'new' machine!
Kenmore 1931
Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 8/28/13 3:28 PM

I was talking to my stepmom about hemming my dad's pants, and I told her that she can NOT get rid of her old sewing machine no matter what, I wanted it when she didn't anymore. All the talk on here about older machines lately made me think of it.

She said it was sitting on her floor and she had no idea where to store it so I could have it now! She didn't want it going to Goodwill or heaven forbid the dump. She wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it as much as she always did.

It looks pristine except for a worn spot on one corner! She LOVES this machine and took good care of it. She bought it in 1975.

It has cams, which I have never actually seen before in my life so I have no idea what the heck to do with them. It has the instruction book and another little book about the cams I think.

So, soon it will be moving into my house, where I will make sure it gets loved and appreciated. She said she hasn't sewn on it for a few years, but last time she did it was working like brand new. I need to figure out how to KEEP it working well, I have NO CLUE about machines like this!

Hopefully the instruction manual will tell how to take care of it.
Does anyone know anything about this machine?

Here it is!

------
Cathryn

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/28/13 3:40 PM

Can't help with the question about upkeep, but wanted to say congrats on acquiring/rescuing this nice vintage machine. The mechanical Kenmores from the 70's are real gems...very reliable and durable. The first machine I ever bought new for myself was a basic Kenmore from that era. I was 18 years old at the time, and sewed everything from my wedding gown to quilts on that machine. I loved it!

Enjoy experimenting with those cams!!!!

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: I just adopted a new machine! Date: 8/28/13 3:41 PM

The cams just go in the top do do the various stitches. A similar machine at the time would have been a Singer Touch and sew. That is probably a great mechanical machine Cat. I would take her to the shop and have them clean and oil and lubricate her or him as it were lol.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 8/28/13 4:46 PM

That so many looks exactly like mine that I bought new in 1980. It was a TOL in its day in the Kenmore line. It is such a great machine and so many decorative stitches (forerunner to the embroidery machines of tody). It is easy to care for. I have never had it in for service. I keep it oiled. The manual should show you how to do it. You can take the top off and the bottom off to oil it. Is this a super high shank? Mine is and I was so glad that I bought almost all of the feet that were made at the time because they are hard to find now. I am planning on having it until I am gone. I know I will have it after my beloved Janome 6600 dies. OH you are so lucky to get it now!

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 8/28/13 4:50 PM

Ohh, look at all the pretty cams. Such fun to be had!

I can see you have a (temp) cure for SMAD. I hope you really love this machine and enjoy sewing with it.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/28/13 5:47 PM

Thanks everyone! I am getting so excited to try this machine out!

She should be here soon, maybe even tomorrow!

------
Cathryn

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 8/28/13 6:22 PM

I have a 1913 that looks nearly identical. It was a wedding gift in 1976. I won't part with it because it can sew through anything!

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

Karlyn M.
Karlyn M.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/8/02
Send Message

Subject: I just adopted a new machine! Date: 8/28/13 8:54 PM

Congratulations on your newly adopted machine. I recently bought a 158.19141 that looks much the same. The mechanical Kenmores have a great reputation, and it's even more special that it was your stepmom's machine.
Have fun stitching with it!

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 8/28/13 11:30 PM

Very special to have this stay in the family...and it has its original manuals...sweet!!!!

I agree...take it in for a spa day.

At the least...check the manual for its oiling points...clean out any bunnies if needed...then oil it as instructed...also move any knobs etc to see if they all move as intended before attempting to sew with it.

I am sure if a sewing machine could smile then it would be smiling right along with you. Enjoy.

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Subject: I just adopted a new machine! Date: 8/29/13 0:52 AM

Congratulations! It's the little gems in life that make us smile:)

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> I just adopted a 'new' machine!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

McCall's 6466

photo
by: facesunder...

Review
Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern

Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern

More Info
The City Bag

The City Bag

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.