SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Martha Stewart American Made ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Martha Stewart American Made
aliann1
aliann1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 12/8/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Martha Stewart American Made-Entreprenuer Contest Date: 8/28/13 9:49 PM

Here's something I just came across: Martha Stewart American Made. It looks like a contest for entreprenuers who produce American made products.

I just started looking at the nominees--there are 153 pages--and some of them are sewing related in the products they produce and there is at least one sewing lounge I've seen so far.

Anyhoo....just interesting...thought someone else might want to take a look.

Enjoy.
-- Edited on 8/28/13 10:43 PM --

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/29/13 4:18 PM

I saw on the Colette FB page that they've surpassed 10,000 votes for the contest already!

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to aliann1 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/29/13 5:46 PM

I really like this. I don't live in the U.S., but I think it's important for all countries to keep making products and supporting their local craftspeople. We've gotten so dependent on artificially inexpensive imports, sometimes I worry that people in Western countries will forget the art of making things.

-- Edited on 8/29/13 5:46 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: rosebush in the snow

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to aliann1 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/29/13 7:40 PM

Interesting because isn't all her stuff made in China?!

Good luck to all the nominees!

------
Stash: 184.5 yds. @ 12.16.14

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 8/29/13 10:19 PM

Quote:

I don't know. We don't get many Martha Stewart products in Canada. Can anyone confirm this?

------

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 8/30/13 9:30 AM

The premise of the contest is great! I'm wholeheartedly in favor of it. The contest voting website is sh**. It hangs, blanks out, is missing icons at times, won't let me sort to find the company I want to vote fore, and therefore the business I wanted to vote for the past three days lost 18 votes because of website issues. The website admin has admitted to high volume traffic causing the problem, but it has hampered the voting process. The outcome, imo, will be tainted because of this. It's a shame that my favorite food company couldn't get my 18 votes from the past three days, and it's questionable if I'll be able to vote today or in the future. At first I tried in 3 different browsers thinking it was a software issue on my end, but it's not. My food company checked with the voting website, and problems with high traffic volume were acknowledged.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3, Singer Model 99, Singer 221/Featherweight. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Embroidery/Sewing Combo: Brother Dream machine. Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 8/30/13 12:24 PM

I also am concerned that the art of making things built well could be forgotten in another generation. Sure there are some small companies making things, but most of the larger things are from China. This is so sad. I look for American Made if I can find it.

The idea of the contest is a great one and I hope they fix the website so many others can vote. I have not tried it myself.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 9/1/13 12:51 PM

Quote: PattyE

Good luck to all the nominees!

I believe if you read the "made in..." on most of her branded products yes, or elsewhere. I really like the concept of the contest, program in general, but the fact that it's sponsored by a company that does just the opposite positions it as a marketing device to cast a positive light on the MS image/name vs an altruistic support of American Made products. I applaud the artisans whose work is recognized and am pleAsed there are sewing related things but this has reaffirmed my commitment not to support the sponsoring enterprise.
-- Edited on 9/1/13 9:46 PM --

------
Karen

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Karen31 <<

Date: 9/1/13 6:02 PM

Quote:
I really like the concept of the contest, program in general, but the fact that it's sponsored by a company that does just the opposite positions it as a marketing device to elevate the MS image vs an altruistic support of American Made products.

Very well said.

------

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 9/1/13 7:57 PM

Thank you. I'm a marketing professional (sadly in layoff mode right now) and I admire clever marleting but this seems so transparent (to me). It's up there (in my mind) with WalMart's green product schtick a few years ago (please don't look at the fact we're assaulting the planet otherwise by compelling vendors to produce in places without environmental restrictions to drive down manufacturing costs) or American Express's Small Business Day promo around holiday season (we'll give you a $25 credit for shopping small businesses that day and using your card, we can afford to since we charge them so much more than other cc's so the very enterprise we're trying to make you think we want you to help is actually making less by doing this than if you simply patronized them and paid cash/check (or even visa/mc)just to - help them).
Ok we now switch from this rant about poorly veiled corporate hypocrisy back to the sewing machine and Law&Order marathon....

------
Karen

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Martha Stewart American Made

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

New Look 6843

photo
by: MiniandMer...

Review

Pattern

Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.