SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Plus Size Sewing > Plus Sized Jeans Pattern? ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Plus Sized Jeans Pattern?
please no mom jeans
KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 8/29/13 8:09 AM

I have been working on pants. So everyone knows my pain. But I have learned a lot and have a reasonably fitting pant block.

I am starting to realize that my problem is that I wear jeans so much that regular pants/trousers just don't feel right. I would like to look into making jeans in all kinds of fabulous fabrics but with that jeans fit and feel.

Any suggestions for nice plus sized jeans pattern as a start (I kind of hate starting over with the pant fitting thing)

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 8/30/13 3:40 AM

I am on this journey too. So are you saying that you have a well fitting pattern block but you want other pattern styles to change or apply your block pattern to?
I have learned that if the pattern block/pattern is tweaked to make the denim/jeans fabric a good fit it will not necessarily be transferable to other fabrics. Denim fabrics have more stretch than a traditonal pant woven fabric so it provides more ease.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

mgmsrk1
mgmsrk1
Intermediate
NY
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 8/30/13 10:55 AM

Several of the big name pattern makers have plus size jeans in modern cuts. I think I have all their patterns, I have not made any yet so I can't speak to fit.

------
1968 Kenmore 158. (AKA The Hulk)
Bernina 230
Janome 6600 (for sale)
Janome 7700
Juki 600
Elna serger
Kenmore serger
Janome 1000 CoverStitch
Juki 8500 Industerial

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 8/30/13 11:24 AM

My pants journey has come to a halt. I have spent months on this journey and have despaired that it will never end.
Like you I have figure out that I am trying to get the pants block to fit like the jeans I live in. When I came to this realization things got a little better but I also put the pants aside and cut out three blouses.

I have a muslin of Silhouette jeans pattern 3300 that Peggy fit for me when I went to a workshop 2 years ago. A couple weeks ago I dug the muslin out and transferred the alterations to the pattern. I don't think I did this correctly? That is one thing that you don't do in the workshop so who knows if I got it right. I need to buy some denim and make the jeans. Not sure what's holding me back? Fear of failure?

As for jeans patterns I bought Hot Patterns 1135 Weekender Boyfriend Jeans. I watched a video Trudy did and thought the design might be something that would work for me.

I will finish the blouses then get back to the pant fitting. Of all things to have issues with I can't get the waistband to fit. I have a tilted waist but then there is also something going on at the sides.

------
Ada

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/30/13 11:25 AM

There is an article in this month's Threads Magazine where three designers explain how they created their own personal jeans pattern. KD King has the simplest method (IMO), just use a pair of RTW that fit the way you like and copy them for your own personal pattern.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/30/13 11:47 AM

You know, I have a reasonably fitting jean and Kenneth King's class on cloning....DUH moment

I am going to check that out again

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 8/30/13 11:50 AM

i haven't made it, but i know there is a palmer/pletsch for mccalls

M5894

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

sleeping wolf
star
sleeping wolf
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 8/30/13 4:39 PM

If you can face tracing/taping a Burda Style pattern 01-2010-136 is a reasonably traditional straight leg jean. Here. It was also in the Autumn/Winter 2010 Burda Plus magazine. Sizing runs from European 44-52. Elaray has posted a review here.
This has been on the top of my to-do-list for over a year. I'm still trying to find time to perfect my pants block. I'll be interested to see how you get on adapting your block to make jeans which ever route you choose.
-- Edited on 8/30/13 4:40 PM --

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/30/13 8:42 PM

I like Hot patterns dressy jeans. It's a straight narrow leg, and has a contour wasitband. I don't like her fly front and added a cut on fly, which I prefer. But if you use the sewn on fly get a good set of instructions because i found hers confusing and useless. She does have a video tutorial on You Tube.
My 27 year old dd approved their style.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

sewingoffthechart
sewingoffthechart  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 4/5/09
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 12:49 PM

I love V1034 Sandra B's jeans V1034. I get rid of that double front pocket nonsense when I make them.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> Plus Sized Jeans Pattern?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Butterick 3523 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Belle Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Little Belle Skirts Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.