Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Pfoxxy the Pfaff Ambition 1.5 came home today ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pfoxxy the Pfaff Ambition 1.5 came home today
I was tempted and I fell
SewPaula
star
SewPaula  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MO USA
Member since 2/18/04
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 8/30/13 10:14 AM

I have read nearly every page of the 580+ thread about the PCPs, every thread about nearly PFaff machine currently made. I tried to convince myself I didn't want the IDT, didn't really need it, but I DO! I thought my Kenmore 19365 would do everything I could ever want and my Singer 401 would do whatever it couldn't handle, but I guess there is no denying it any more -- I have a bad case of SMAD.

DH and I and the youngest DD went last night to drop off my Kenmore 19365 for service and to play with the machines. The PCP was just way out of our budget but I played on a Quilt Expression 3.0 and the Ambition 1.5 and the Ambition came home with me.

--
Edited: She actually came home with me last night -- I am too excited to type correctly.
--
Unfortunately, both of the machines I test drove had tension issues, but fortunately, my new machine's tension is perfect. Love the LED lights -- my eyes are not what they used to be. LOVE all the stitches. My son and the little DD were standing over me all evening picking out stitches for me to try. I had a moment of panic when I tried to switch from a straight stitch to a zigzag and all it would do was stitch in the same spot over and over. I turned off the machine and turned it back on (I am a computer programmer -- always try rebooting first!) and it worked fine, so I don't know what button I pushed that was wrong, but I was able to recreate the process later and didn't have the same problem.

My dealer sells both Janome and Pfaff which is perfect for me as I have two Janomes and the Janome made Kenmore as well as this new Pfaff. Lessons on the machine are free and they have an in-house tech which I really appreciate after my Kenmore was beaten up in her last trip to the Sears service center.

I hope to spend much more time with it this weekend while they and their dad are visiting relatives. I have only DD #1 with me today. She is special needs and can't handle the drive, so we are going to hang out and I will sew while she plays in her wheelchair and watches TV. Hopefully she is in a good mood today.

I am hoping to test buttonholes and try out the IDT on a knit today. I have several projects in mind, but think I will start out with a button front knit shirt for DD#1. I do need to get a couple of surge suppressors (one for upstairs and one for down)

Here is a pic of my newest baby:

Her name is Pfoxxy, which is a take-off of my mother's email address (Phoxxy). I think she is so pretty -- even my 14 yo son said so!

More pics:
Practice Stitches
(The weird blur in the center is my son's name that I didn't want to show)

Straight Stitch, Overlock Stitch #20 and Blind Hem

This was my most important test. The main reason I chose the Ambition 1.5 over the QE 3.0 and the other Ambitions was the over lock stitches. I wanted to be able to bring this machine upstairs to the living room to sew just for days like today: I am alone with DD# 1 (she has multiple and profound special needs) and can't spend time in my basement sewing room. This one machine will do almost everything that my set-up in the basement will without hauling up the serger and cover stitch machines. DD can't handle the sound of the serger and this machine will do the over-lock stitches nicely and, more importantly, quietly.

Lots more to try out, but while she is asleep, I need to work on the nine valances I am helping to make for the church classrooms.

I am so glad I was able to bring it home last night. I am off today and Monday for the holiday weekend and I can play as much as I went. DH took DS and DD #2 to see the grandparents so it is just the one DD and I until tomorrow afternoon.

-- Edited on 8/30/13 10:18 AM --

------
If I were a sewing machine, all I would have to do is lift up my foot and all my tension would be gone.

Sewing with my lovelies: Pfaff Ambition 1.5 (Pfoxxy), Kenmore 385.19365 (Kenny), Babylock Imagine and BLCS, 3 brothers (PE150 aka Gary, 1034D aka Scott and 2340V aka Darrell -- named for my three brothers), and the Singer quartet (Rosemary the 401a, Judy the 15-88, Ella the 15-91 and Bessie the 128)

Connie F
Connie F
Advanced
NC USA
Member since 4/8/13

In reply to SewPaula <<

Date: 8/30/13 11:54 AM

Welcome to the Pfaff Pfamily! That is a great machine and especially for the price point!! I found the feed system on my little Essential to be absolutely beautiful.....when I reverse those stitches are right smack on top of each other and the fabric pretty much guides itself. I am making a tote bag right now and used 16 different decorative stitches just to play.....I had sew much pfun!! Enjoy your new baby and make sure to take your classes. I use to teach machine usage classes and would always encourage people to take the classes even if they had been sewing for a long time & or had lots of machines because we always learn something!!! Plus you get the excitement from other owners! Congratulations!!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05

In reply to SewPaula <<

Date: 8/30/13 12:30 PM

LOVELY machine - I have seen these but not sewn on them, but I do love this machine and the other Ambition as well - just on looks alone I would like one, but it is really nice of you to post pictures of stitches and a nice large bunch of pics as well! Just the right size!Happy sewing!

EDITED to ask - how long is that harp length? It look fabulous - and you will love IDT!
-- Edited on 8/30/13 12:31 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
ME USA
Member since 1/29/11

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/30/13 1:37 PM

Muffett - If I remember correctly it is 8 inches.

------
Quilting up a storm!

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 8/30/13 1:54 PM

Glad I realized I should go back and re-read Muffet's post, and yep sure enough, she had edited it.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

In reply to SewPaula <<

Date: 8/30/13 1:56 PM

Beautiful new sewing machine-baby, congrats! Lovely name, too.

The IDT is pFABULOUS! I leave mine on for everything unless there's a pfoot I need to use that isn't IDT-compatible. Luckily most pfeet are. You'll especially love the IDT on knits.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

SewPaula
star
SewPaula  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MO USA
Member since 2/18/04

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 8/30/13 2:19 PM

Quote: Mufffet

EDITED to ask - how long is that harp length? It look fabulous - and you will love IDT!
-- Edited on 8/30/13 12:31 PM --

It measures 8 inches from the needle at center position to the base.

Thank you all for the kind words!m I am working on a knit collared shirt with DD now. She doesn't seem to mind the sound of the machine and I am delighted with how it stitches.
-- Edited on 8/30/13 2:22 PM --

------
If I were a sewing machine, all I would have to do is lift up my foot and all my tension would be gone.

Sewing with my lovelies: Pfaff Ambition 1.5 (Pfoxxy), Kenmore 385.19365 (Kenny), Babylock Imagine and BLCS, 3 brothers (PE150 aka Gary, 1034D aka Scott and 2340V aka Darrell -- named for my three brothers), and the Singer quartet (Rosemary the 401a, Judy the 15-88, Ella the 15-91 and Bessie the 128)

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05

Date: 8/30/13 2:22 PM

Thanks Portland and SewPaula....I knew it was a good length! Lovely machine. :)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
HI USA
Member since 1/18/07

Date: 8/30/13 6:18 PM

Paula, I'm sew happy for you! Congrats - your excitement made sparks jump off my puter screen!! Please join us on the Purple Haze board any time - we like all Pfaffies there.

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

speattle
speattle
Member since 2/10/11

In reply to SewPaula <<

Date: 8/31/13 1:37 AM

Congratulations on your new Pfaff. I joined the Pfamily a few months ago when I bought a Passport 2.0 and LOVE the IDT too. I actually looked at the Ambition line too as the price was about the same and it had the alphabet characters, but in the end I decided to get the Passport because I really wanted the smaller size. (And I have a Brother that does alphabets anyway).

I think you are going to LOVe this machine. Too bad the blurred out letters of the name aren't really what the stitches look like. Now that would be an awesome stitch to have!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Pfoxxy the Pfaff Ambition 1.5 came home today

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Online Sewing Classes
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

EvaDress E40-6111
photo
Review by lauramae on 3/17/12
Read Review

Blank Slate Lazy Day Pajamas Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Lazy Day Pajamas Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Elaina Pintuck Party Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )
Peek-A Boo Elaina Pintuck Party Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCall's 5714
photo
Review by Pinkhibisc... on 10/4/08
Read Review

Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern
Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Favorite Things Little Wrap Dress Pattern
Favorite Things Little Wrap Dress Pattern

Details
Price: $14.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5160 Pattern( Size ONE SIZE )
Butterick 5160 Pattern( Size ONE SIZE )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1612 Pattern ( Size 10-12-14-16-18 )
Simplicity 1612 Pattern ( Size 10-12-14-16-18 )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN