Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Help with choosing a Babylock Sewing Machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help with choosing a Babylock Sewing Machine
The dealer was most unhelpful and I am very willing to look elsewhere
nikoniko
nikoniko
Member since 9/28/11
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/31/13 3:59 PM

Hi all! I need some advice. I am looking for a new sewing machine. The local Babylock dealer is having a Labor day sale so I thought I'd look there. The sales woman I spoke to was not helpful.
So I walk into the dealer and say ďHi! Iím looking for a sewing machine.Ē The sales lady asked me what features I wanted and what my price range was. The only part she actually seemed to care about was how much she could get out of me. She instantly jumped to selling me the Melody which is on sale for $1000. Surprisingly (sarcasm!) $1000 is the max I am willing to spend but only if I REALLY love that machine, otherwise Iíd rather stay closer to $500.
No matter how many times I told her Iím kind of meh on the whole computerized shtick (neither a positive or negative) and that I do not quilt and do not need 100+ stitches she kept trying to sell me that machine based on those features. The only differences she could really tell me between the Melody and less expensive models like the Elizabeth $850 or Grace $400 were the features I told her I did not care about. But of course she kept pushing the Melody. She didnít even willingly show me the manual machines. I had to ask what those machines over there were. And her attitude when showing me the much less expensive manuals was pretty contemptuous. The Molly $280 caught my eye.
I am an intermediate sewer who mostly makes flannel pajamas and costumes. I need a machine that can handle fabric from tulle to several layers of denim without dying on me. I already own a surger and am much more interested in stitch quality than the stich type quantity. I also want a nice button hole. So after researching I think either the Molly or Grace would suit me. Any thoughts here? Besides the embroidery stuff are the other models worth the price? I appreciate any input I can get on these machines.
Also, Iíve been told babylocks are good machines but I am so irritated at the sales lady I dealt with that I am very willing to look somewhere else out of spite.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08

In reply to nikoniko <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/31/13 4:19 PM

You needn't look elsewhere out of spite. You would be looking elsewhere to protect your financial investment and your enthusiasm for sewing.

There are some great sales but there are always more great sales later. Do not feel forced to purchase this weekend.

Did you take all of your fabric samples in to try on the machines?

I fell for a similar ploy and it left me with a very bad impression of the brand. Fortunately I moved on, learned from my mistake, and much later got the gumption (with the help of many PR comments and reviews) to try the brand again. Delighted to have done so as I really enjoy my serger.

Yes, when I tried again it was with a different dealer. And I do fault myself for the previous bad experience. It was my initial foray into the computerized sewing machine market. I was unprepared. Also, I had had my head buried in the sand after a long period of caretaking. I should not have come out of that phase with an open checkbook.

I learned a lot from that experience. I also learned that many customers from my area drive two hours to the new dealer - that's telling. Good for you to have your intuition kick in. Luckily I ran from another area dealer that closed shortly after offering a too-good-to-be-true deal on another machine. Oooh, that lesson would have been much more expensive than the one that I learned by.

Take your time. Enjoy the process but keep in mind that it's a business and financial transaction. And, don't forget the fabric samples.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

lilymom
lilymom
Member since 7/13/10

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/31/13 4:43 PM

The dealer should be serving YOUR needs, not theirs. I wouldn't go back to a dealership that treated me like this. I refuse to buy a Bernina because at our local dealer, if you aren't buying a TOL expensive embroidery machine, they ignore you.

You might want to consider a Brother machine. Many of the mid to upper level Babylock and Brother machines are identical except for a few decorative stitches.

Another option might be a good used mechanical machine especially if you don't need a lot of fancy stitches. You could even consider a Singer 201 or 301, which wouldn't cost too much.

Good luck with your search!

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WA USA
Member since 12/24/12

Date: 8/31/13 4:47 PM

I have a Grace, and I have had a Brother NX450 (the Brother version of the Elizabeth). If I was going to use it as my primary machine, I would personally recommend the additional features on the Elizabeth (thread snips, better needle threader, one touch select, etc). I bought the Grace to use as a class machine.

IIRC, the Elizabeth had better lighting too.

------
i'm a PFAFF girl at heart that has an occasional affair with other brands.

http://thetruthaboutsewing.blogspot.com

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 8/31/13 4:48 PM

Look at what other dealers have to offer. The various companies, including Babylock have a website that gives an overview as well as options to help you find a dealer near you.

That is how I found a different dealer when mine started hiring nincompoops!

-- Edited on 9/1/13 12:26 PM --

------
ďI donít give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think itís Hell.Ē ó Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

bonnie1345
bonnie1345
Advanced
UT USA
Member since 7/1/09

Date: 8/31/13 5:31 PM

I love Babylock machines and have two of theirs plus an Evolve serger. I'd as what they have as trades. Some sales people are over eager and do not always reflect on the management. Thus said the moderately priced machines in the $500 range (more or less) are all decent machines. I'd go back, tell her i'm interested in one in that range and see what is shown, or better yet talk to another sales person and tell them straight out you don't like heavy sales tactics.

------
Bonnie
Babylock, Pfaff, Singer Featherweight and more

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06

In reply to lilymom <<

Date: 8/31/13 6:15 PM

Quote: lilymom
I refuse to buy a Bernina because at our local dealer, if you aren't buying a TOL expensive embroidery machine, they ignore you.

Isn't it amazing that even if a business owner doesn't actually care about customers as people...that a business owner or staff would not care about making a sale...any sale.

From the dealer's shops that I've been to from nearly 30 years ago to just a couple of weeks ago are
not so busy that any customers' sales can be ignored.

From my personal experience at a Janome dealer's and posts on PR about various dealers pushing computerized sms on customers who are specifically asking and wanting mechanicals tells me that dealer's and sewing machine manufacturers should take notice!

I must say that in the past month I've been to two dealerships...one I can't remember the "brand"...and the other a Bernina...and both have been very friendly and never pushed me toward a purchase. The first one I went in to specifically buy sewing machine oil...and only that. They treated me so well...it was as if I had just bought a TOL sm. I will go back there again.

The second one...the Bernina shop...was to take my old Singer for a camstack repair estimate. The shop's owner is the repair guy and the only repair person in a 100 mile radius...so he has the sm repair market
sewn up...pun intended. So...the shop so to speak is in position to be snooty but they are not...they were extremely nice...talking to me like a long time friend.

So...all that is to say...why don't all the other snooty shops realize they are chasing away customers? Well...that was meant as a rhetorical question.
AminaHijabi
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10

Date: 8/31/13 6:45 PM

Make a list of the kinds of sewing you do, the features you want in a machine, and your budget. It could be she was pushing you to the Melody because she felt like a) you could afford it b) it would do everything you ever wanted to do c) that person personally like the Melody (it is a good machine according to reviews, and comes with a lot of extras)

When you come loaded with that stuff it's harder for them to push you into the machine THEY want and easier for you to get the machine YOU want.

I have no idea about machine prices, but the Melody does come with a lot of feet, extension table and it has 82937419 stitches. It gets solid reviews and Babylock as a company has a reputation for good service.

Of course, there are other machines and brands out there so it's not like Babylock is your ONLY choice for a good machine, especially with your budget.

ajoseph
ajoseph  Friend of PR
Member since 10/10/12

In reply to nikoniko <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/31/13 7:04 PM

u wouldn't be looking somewhere else out of "spite", you'd be looking somewhere else because you were not happy with the salesperson or dealer. imagine what it would be like if u needed to take classes or needed service. i wouldn't buy there. if u have decided on the Molly or Grace(i know nothing about either). find a BL dealer that u are comfortable and happy with, and leave your money there. yesterday, i went into a shop asking for some $1200.00 embroidery software. the shop keep asked what i was going to do with embroidery. i told him. he said the $1200.00 package would be a waste of $ for me. he guided me to $799.99 software that would do everything and then some of what i wanted. when shopping. tell them what u r seeking. what u want the machine to do. let them show u machines that fit your needs. not how much $ u have to spend. leave price out. or give them a low price and u yourself work your way up from there until u get all the features u want.
-- Edited on 8/31/13 7:13 PM --

nikoniko
nikoniko
Member since 9/28/11

Date: 9/1/13 0:58 AM

Ok. Rant time.
So I went back to the babylock dealer to try out the Molly. The same woman helped me with the machine. I guess Iím her commission now. She didnít really know how to use it and made a few off hand remarks about it being a ďmechanicalĒ. I wanted to test some of the stitches especially the one step buttonhole. If I didnít want a machine with a buttonhole stitch I would probably get a nice strait stitch machine. (Someone above talked about the old Singer 201. So pretty. Want. Want now. But google search failed to turn up a dealer in my area and eBay is doom.) So the buttonhole stitch was not working. We got the manual out and tried to figure it out all the while there was a woman floating around the shop who knew how to use it. Why wasnít she showing me this machine? Was this a commission war or something? Anyway the stitch failed. Stitch failed. Stitch failed again. Stitch jammed so bad the machine had to be semi taken apart to get the fabric out of the feed dogs. This did not inspire confidence. The woman who knew how to use the Molly came over and fixed the problem in about 2 seconds. Again, why wasnít she helping me? Well anyway, the stitch length was looser than I like so I tried adjusting the stitch length to make it denser. Problems happened. Of course my sales lady didnít know how to fix it and she just watched me fiddle with it saying that Iíll learn how to do a button hole in the class. The class I take AFTER I buy the machine. Um no. After all the problems Iíve seen here I think I want to make sure this machine can make a button hole BEFORE I buy it. Eventually I fixed it but I mean really. The way she was acting youíd think it was unreasonable for me to want to know if the machine made a decent button hole before I bought it. I also tried the strait stitch only Juki TL2000. It sewed through 4 layers of canvas like it was butter. But its $800 and I still need a button hole stitch-canít justify both. But the stitches were so pretty!
Later I went to Joanns to check out their Vikings. THE VIKING WOMAN WAS EVEN WORSE THAN THE BABYLOCK DEALER!!! But at least she knew how to use her machines and when I asked her about motor size she tried to find the information. The hell? Is this normal? Cause it really should not be. Rage. End rant.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Help with choosing a Babylock Sewing Machine

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Online Sewing Classes
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Ottobre Design Magazine 06-2008-6 Dolly Dress
photo
Review by Sandi S on 11/30/08
Read Review

Oliver + S Reversible Bucket Hat Digital Pattern
Oliver + S Reversible Bucket Hat Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $0
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse & Shorts Digital Pattern (Size 5-12)
Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse & Shorts Digital Pattern (Size 5-12)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1650
photo
Review by BiKe on 2/23/14
Read Review

Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern
Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 16-24(Cup B-DD) )
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 16-24(Cup B-DD) )

Details
Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8899 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 8899 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $25.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1284 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 1284 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $32.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN