SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > buttonhole feet ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
buttonhole feet
how interchangeable are they?
kalniete

kalniete
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/28/08
Send Message

Date: 9/1/13 9:06 AM

I have a Janome MyExcel 4014, which has a 4-step buttonhole. Right now I have the little clear presser foot with a center ridge, but I want to be able to more accurately measure and duplicate buttonholes, so I'm looking at the kind that slides and has markings on the side. I'm puzzled - is there any difference between the $11 model and the $7 model? What if I just get the $4 model? I know that one's plastic and the other two are largely metal, but it looks like the basic design is identical. What am I missing?

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 9/1/13 11:34 AM

Looks like the $11 and $7 are for different types of machines. The $11 will allow you to make larger buttonholes. Forget the $4.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

kalniete

kalniete
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/28/08
Send Message

In reply to sewplenty <<

Date: 9/1/13 11:38 AM

Well, they *say* they're for different types of machines. The attachment bar looks identical to me, and they each have 7 little marks on the side (probably 1/4 inch apart?) It looks like the same exact piece, just photographed from different angles. That's why I'm puzzled.

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/1/13 11:57 AM

I have had feet that looked like they should fit but wouldn't nestle properly in the shank so be careful. I have had the $4 in years past and it is smaller, especially in the width.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

kalniete

kalniete
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/28/08
Send Message

In reply to sewplenty <<

Date: 9/1/13 12:20 PM

I see the difference in width now, thank you.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/1/13 1:47 PM

note that Janome has different feet for rotary and oscillator sewing machines. If you get the wrong foot, the needle slot will end up being in the wrong place.

-- Edited on 9/1/13 1:59 PM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/1/13 2:08 PM

Janome buttonhole foot with button sizer

Basically, you size the buttonhole by physically placing the button on the foot and adjusting the gauge. It should make repeating buttonholes somewhat easier.

I'm not sure it will work on your machine, and it does have more plastic than the other feet.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

kalniete

kalniete
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/28/08
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 9/1/13 4:21 PM

Thank you for the heads up - mine is rotary. I've gotten 'universal' feet before and not had a problem (I do hand crank it through the first time, to make sure nothing's in the way of the needle) With this particular style of foot, it seems designed to be super open, and not in the way of the needle even on a wide swing. I decided to get the $11 one, with space to put in an extra wide bar-tack if I want to.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 9/2/13 7:18 AM

I was browsing my NN catalogue yesterday and saw something called buttonhole tape.
I had the precise lines for various sizes with different colored lines for each size.
It looked like the perfect solution for manual or 4 step buttonholes.
You lay the tape over the area, stitch over it with your machine stopping at the markings for your size. Fascinating!
I thought of trying to place marks on embroidery topper stabilizer and glue sticking it into place. But I might order Nancy's buttonhole tape just to evaluate it. Has anyone used it yet?

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 9/2/13 12:31 PM

I have that foot. Very nice foot - I bought it for the four step on my Janome Jem Gold. It fits drop in Janomes....and I have not tried it on the vertical bobbin machines. It should fit the 4014 as that machine has a drop in bobbin as well. Same width.
-- Edited on 9/2/13 12:32 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> buttonhole feet

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Colette Patterns 0003

photo
by: Joyatee

Review
Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Buy Now
BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.