SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > JCP 4102 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
JCP 4102
tension knob
DivaDog
DivaDog
Intermediate
Member since 8/18/13
Send Message

Date: 9/2/13 11:58 AM

Just bought a used JCP 4102fen machine. Can't find a manual for the style of tension knob, is anyone familiar with a built in tension knob that sits sideways? Want to be sure I am feeding the thread correctly.
-- Edited on 9/2/13 1:25 PM --

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to DivaDog <<

Date: 9/2/13 12:37 PM

Can you post a picture of the front of your machine?
Does the needle go in sideways due to a side inserted bobbin? More information please!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 9/2/13 12:38 PM

AAhhhh...I see why I was confused - you have started two of these threads!I knew I had posted......

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

DivaDog
DivaDog
Intermediate
Member since 8/18/13
Send Message

Date: 9/2/13 1:27 PM

Sorry, new to this site. How do you post pictures?

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 9/2/13 2:17 PM

When needle all the way up, and your thread take up lever all the way up, top thread goes downward through the tension device, continues down and around the lower metal piece, goes all the way back upwards staying to the right just like you were driving a car and staying in your own lane there, and then when you are back up and reach your thread take up, thread goes through the hole in that, feeding from right to left , then goes straight back down towards the needle, over that little metal piece so it can't wear a grove in the plastic of the machine, then goes into the thread guide under your needle set screw, and then through the needle, front to back.

I'm thinking you are not going to find your book easy at all, but try that.
-- Edited on 9/2/13 2:28 PM --

DivaDog
DivaDog
Intermediate
Member since 8/18/13
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 9/2/13 2:31 PM

Thank you, just to be sure I understand, since the groove in the tension knob lays front to back, I just pull the thread tight enough to lay in the groove, bring it down the right side to the metal piece at the bottom , wrap under and back up the left side through the eye at the top. I don't need to place the thread anywhere special when going through the tension knob or around the metal piece at the bottom.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to DivaDog <<

Date: 9/2/13 3:02 PM

I think so yes, but you should not even have to pull the thread tight or very tight at all, to just lay it into that tension device at all. As, when your pressure foot is up, the disks in it, should be pretty open and loose, and it should go into there and lay in there real easy. The tension disks should only clamp closed on it, and be too tight to lay the thread in there, when you later lower the pressure foot to go to sew. Or of course, if you forget and leave your pressure foot down instead while trying to thread up. So thread up, with the pressure foot up, just like on all machines. It''s really just much like a tension device sitting sticking out on the front of a machine, except it's just laid in there sideways instead. But, it still works much the same way.

Well maybe not exactly the same way, I'm thinking that the little wire tension spring that would normally be sticking out and showing on some older machine with a tension device stuck on the front of the machine, on yours, probably has that little wire, built into the lowest part of the metal there you need to loop your thread around. But when you do that, it should hopefull just catch it too, with out you having to do anything special at all, and every thing still work out fine. Just try it.

If no matter what and you have your pressure foot all the way up, and you still can't just easy lay your thread into the loose and open disks in the top tension, then you got something else going on, and your top tension device is unfortunate now clamped closed all the time. But if everything working right, that would not be happening.
-- Edited on 9/2/13 3:05 PM --
-- Edited on 9/2/13 3:15 PM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to DivaDog <<

Date: 9/2/13 3:17 PM

Always have the presser foot up when threading or removing the thread from the machine.

Have the presser foot down when adjusting or changing the tension.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 9/2/13 3:34 PM

oops!
-- Edited on 9/2/13 4:02 PM --

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to DivaDog <<

Date: 9/2/13 3:37 PM

Pics in link below...does it look like your sewing machine? Could not find a pdf manual from anywhere.

Lots of BIG closeups: jcp 4102fen

Scroll down the ebay listing to see big pictures...a lot of BIG pictures. LOL
-- Edited on 9/2/13 4:05 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> JCP 4102

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.