SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fitting Woes > Full Tummy Adjustment? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Full Tummy Adjustment?
lestelle
lestelle
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/27/09
Send Message

Date: 9/2/13 10:24 PM

Not sure if there is such an animal, but I need one. LOL

I'm working on fitting Burda pattern 8157 view A. I need a little bit larger than the largest size, but only in the tummy & hip area. I need to add about an inch but I'm unsure whether to add it to the sides and center back seam or to do the slash & split on the center fronts. I think the pockets may be what's throwing me for a little loop.

Any suggestions?
-- Edited on 9/2/13 10:25 PM --

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to lestelle <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/3/13 8:52 AM

I have to do this to get skirts to fit. I slash and add to the center front seam. If you add to the side seam it does not add to the front. Here is a diagram that might help. pattern alteration Scroll down until you find the protruding abdomen alteration.
I need it pretty high so I slash about an 1 1/2 from the top of the pattern. You might have to experiment a little to get the right spot. HTH

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to lestelle <<

Date: 9/3/13 8:54 AM

lestelle, have you tried not making the darts? Start with leaving out the front darts. If all you need is an inch, that might work. If you need a little more, add it to the side seams. The pockets in this case create part of the side seam. To make adding on easier, just pin the pattern pieces together as though they are one, then add what you need. You can than unpin them after adding the extra and cut as you normally would. I did something similar to a Burda that I just finished. I didn't want the side pockets, so just pinned them on before tracing out my original pattern pieces.

lca
star
lca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 6/4/07
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 3:47 PM

Also, if the center front seam is slanted, you can get some more width by making it straighter.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/13 5:34 PM

"Full tummy" sound so much nicer than "protruding abdomen"! While technically correct, it sounds like a medical condition.

(I sometimes call mine my "butt in the front" )

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<

Date: 9/3/13 7:47 PM

I agree and also take issue with the name. I am not sure "butt in the front" is any betterIt is a mix of mid life and genetics (plus 2 babies). It is what it is but it adds to the fitting problems.

xtreme1
star
xtreme1
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 9/4/13 0:35 AM

I add whatever the CF allows me to in width until it is no longer slanted and if more width is required, ignore or narrow front darts if they are available. If there are no front darts I would split the remaining width between the front side seams. If there is too much remaining width, I would split the required amount between the front and back side seams at the tummy level.

limer
limer
Beginner
Member since 11/15/10
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 9/4/13 4:05 AM

Are the last 2 pages of the pdf you linked supposed to be blank? I'm just wondering if I loaded it to my computer properly.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to limer <<

Date: 9/4/13 10:16 AM

It looks like it is blank. I scrolled back through and I think it has all of the fitting issues that I remember seeing on there before. You can go to the site (New Mexico State University extension site) for all kinds of cool sewing stuff like this. It is a great site with lots of help and pdfs addressing sewing issues of all kinds.

shana707

shana707
Advanced
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/23/05
Send Message

Date: 9/5/13 5:07 PM

I have tried all of the methods mentioned but always wind up with way too much room at the waist. Making the waist fit negates to changes I made to fit tummy. What am I doing wrong?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Full Tummy Adjustment?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Loes Hinse Designs 5106

photo
by: Lisa Laree

Review
SewBaby Twirl Top and Pants Pattern

SewBaby Twirl Top and Pants Pattern

More Info
Jackets for Real People DVD

Jackets for Real People DVD

More Info
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-134

photo
by: Re Becca

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.