SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Very tempted to buy used Bernina 1260, whats your thoughts? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Very tempted to buy used Bernina 1260, whats your thoughts?
signemarie
signemarie
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 2/10/12
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 4:46 AM

Hi all

First message on these boards, hope I'm doing everything right.

I am looking to buy an old Bernina machine. Called a dealer I have used a lot in the past to ask about an old activa he had, but it had juuuust been sold.

Instead told me he had a used Bernina 1260 just in, tells me it's a wonderful machine, just what I'm looking for etc. etc. But it's a 12-15 year old machine and he's asking $500.

It comes with all presser feet, accesory box, covers and knee lift.

I think it sounds like a good offer, but would like to hear what you say in here. I read the reviews and am sure it's a great machine, I just don't have any idea if it's wise to pay $500 for such an old machine.

This is a timed offer, he said he would list it for $600 later today if I don't want it.

So. Please give me your thoughts, is this machine in good condition worth $500 today?

Thanks for replying :-)

signemarie
signemarie
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 2/10/12
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 5:35 AM

Forgot to mention, he is including 2 years warranty on the machine, pedal and cables as well.

Aaarh, can you tell I am VERY tempted? Hm...

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/3/13 7:00 AM

Signemarie, welcome!! $500 is an excellent price for this 1260 especially when serviced the great 2-yr warranty! That fact eliminates all the risk of buying a used machine. It should last as long as a newer Activa. Consider it was TOL in its day vs the entry-level Activas...smaller, lighter, etc. At $500 you are paying, it will retain almost all its value for a long time. It was your lucky day to miss out on the Activa and be able to get this instead at such a great price.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to signemarie <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/13 7:02 AM

With a 2 year warranty, I'd take it!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/13 7:13 AM

I agree....take it!!!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 7:19 AM

For kicks, I checked ebay and didn't see many sold listings for the 1260 but quite a few recent sales for the 1230 in neighborhood of $700 - $1300. Some sold for much less but they were missing integral parts such as power cords, foot pedal or extension table.

Connie F
Connie F
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/8/13
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 8:10 AM

2 year warranty?! I would have to say GO FOR IT!!!!!

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 10:33 AM

Most definitely, yes! I was very happy to pay over twice that amount last year for a 1230. That is the last TOL non-embroidery Bernina has produced....the 1530 is same but track ball frustrated a lot of people. (I love my 1530 too).

I bought a 630 with no embroidery unit later....just to have a newer model but still sew on my 1530 if that is any indication.

signemarie
signemarie
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 2/10/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/3/13 11:06 AM

Thank you so much for the answers. I am on a different time than most of you, so I had to take or leave the offer before I had any replies. I had to call a friends mother (sewing teacher) for advice.

She basically told me to take it or she would, and so I bought it. I trust this dealer, and that helps. He already texted me that it will arrive tomorrow and now I can't wait! All of a sudden I am quite happy my boyfriend is going away this weekend, so I can bond with my new machine...

I searched the boards here but it does not look like there are any 'known issues' eith this model - actually not much has been written about it at all. I wonder what the reason is?

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/3/13 11:36 AM

Congrats! Enjoy it!

The 1260 is basically a special edition, with extra stitches and alphabet, of the 1230. Somewhat similar also to the earlier 1130. Great, much-loved models.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Very tempted to buy used Bernina 1260, whats your thoughts?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

New Look 6901

photo
by: Mollymax

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2011-103

photo
by: tiadia

Review
Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.