SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Very tempted to buy used Bernina 1260, whats your thoughts? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Very tempted to buy used Bernina 1260, whats your thoughts?
signemarie
signemarie
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 2/10/12
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 4:46 AM

Hi all

First message on these boards, hope I'm doing everything right.

I am looking to buy an old Bernina machine. Called a dealer I have used a lot in the past to ask about an old activa he had, but it had juuuust been sold.

Instead told me he had a used Bernina 1260 just in, tells me it's a wonderful machine, just what I'm looking for etc. etc. But it's a 12-15 year old machine and he's asking $500.

It comes with all presser feet, accesory box, covers and knee lift.

I think it sounds like a good offer, but would like to hear what you say in here. I read the reviews and am sure it's a great machine, I just don't have any idea if it's wise to pay $500 for such an old machine.

This is a timed offer, he said he would list it for $600 later today if I don't want it.

So. Please give me your thoughts, is this machine in good condition worth $500 today?

Thanks for replying :-)

signemarie
signemarie
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 2/10/12
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 5:35 AM

Forgot to mention, he is including 2 years warranty on the machine, pedal and cables as well.

Aaarh, can you tell I am VERY tempted? Hm...

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/3/13 7:00 AM

Signemarie, welcome!! $500 is an excellent price for this 1260 especially when serviced the great 2-yr warranty! That fact eliminates all the risk of buying a used machine. It should last as long as a newer Activa. Consider it was TOL in its day vs the entry-level Activas...smaller, lighter, etc. At $500 you are paying, it will retain almost all its value for a long time. It was your lucky day to miss out on the Activa and be able to get this instead at such a great price.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to signemarie <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/13 7:02 AM

With a 2 year warranty, I'd take it!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/13 7:13 AM

I agree....take it!!!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 7:19 AM

For kicks, I checked ebay and didn't see many sold listings for the 1260 but quite a few recent sales for the 1230 in neighborhood of $700 - $1300. Some sold for much less but they were missing integral parts such as power cords, foot pedal or extension table.

Connie F
Connie F
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/8/13
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 8:10 AM

2 year warranty?! I would have to say GO FOR IT!!!!!

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 10:33 AM

Most definitely, yes! I was very happy to pay over twice that amount last year for a 1230. That is the last TOL non-embroidery Bernina has produced....the 1530 is same but track ball frustrated a lot of people. (I love my 1530 too).

I bought a 630 with no embroidery unit later....just to have a newer model but still sew on my 1530 if that is any indication.

signemarie
signemarie
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 2/10/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/3/13 11:06 AM

Thank you so much for the answers. I am on a different time than most of you, so I had to take or leave the offer before I had any replies. I had to call a friends mother (sewing teacher) for advice.

She basically told me to take it or she would, and so I bought it. I trust this dealer, and that helps. He already texted me that it will arrive tomorrow and now I can't wait! All of a sudden I am quite happy my boyfriend is going away this weekend, so I can bond with my new machine...

I searched the boards here but it does not look like there are any 'known issues' eith this model - actually not much has been written about it at all. I wonder what the reason is?

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/3/13 11:36 AM

Congrats! Enjoy it!

The 1260 is basically a special edition, with extra stitches and alphabet, of the 1230. Somewhat similar also to the earlier 1130. Great, much-loved models.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Very tempted to buy used Bernina 1260, whats your thoughts?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

McCall's 6078

photo
by: JEH

Review
Lily Pocket Purse

Lily Pocket Purse

Buy Now
Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.