SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Japanese pattern books ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Japanese pattern books
They look inviting at Amazon, but
Padmé

Padmé
Member since 7/12/06
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 1:05 PM

They scare me a little. I'd fall between a M and a L, but there are a lot of them and I was wondering which seem to be the most popular, well loved book, designer, always has the mostest book or books?

Cheddar4
Cheddar4
Intermediate
Member since 3/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/13 6:27 PM

I like the shape shape books, which are a little avant guard, but really interesting. Some of the patterns are for accessories. The drape drape books are neat too, but use a lot of knits (and obviously there is a fair amount of draping). The pattern magic books are about how to add interesting designs to a sloper. They are helpful for making unique clothing. Those are the ones I have and I enjoy them if only for inspiration.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 9/3/13 7:05 PM

Our library has the book "Simple Modern Clothing" and others with free patterns enclosed. You might check these first to compare to other patterns. "Shape Shape" 1 # 2 are others you may find, or look at them in a Barnes & Noble first.

They are all soft dressing in linens and only use mainly beige neutral colors. Don't know if this is Japanese "couture" or casual chic. Remember Japanese designers are marketing for their petite figures. Didn't try any yet, it would be easy to dress this way but also different,
like a skirt buttoning into palazzo pants?

-- Edited on 9/4/13 12:08 PM --

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

Date: 9/4/13 11:27 AM

Where do you find Japanese patterns?

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 9/4/13 11:43 AM

I bought the Simple Modern Book and love the designs, but overall the sizes are too small for me; probably would not fit most women over a RTW 14. Check a library copy before you buy....

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Padmé

Padmé
Member since 7/12/06
Send Message

Date: 9/4/13 11:56 AM

amazon web page

I bought Pattern Magic 1 and 2 years ago. I have not attempted anything from them, but I do read them, (mine are in Japanese) and study the pictures.

Sweet Dress Book

I've added this book to one of my son's college book orders.

IreneDAdler
star
IreneDAdler
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 6/12/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/5/13 5:05 PM

The books have a fairly wide variety and I think which ones you'll get the most usage out of probably depends mostly on your personal style. Yoshiko Tsukiori is probably the most popular designer, and her style is very girly (lots of gathers and bows), and most designs are very loose-fitting. Machiko Kayaki is my personal favorite, she's also very prolific and has probably 8 or so books in print at the moment, and her designs are more minimal and streamlined, sort of split between loose-fitting casual wear and more structured tailored looks. The Drape Drape series is similar in aesthetic to Pattern Magic, much like RTW pieces from Alexander Wang and Helmut Lang. And then there are seasonal publications that are kind of like Burda, which tend to have fairly basic, very casual designs that are mostly meant to be made in woven fabrics.

A good place to browse is this etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/pomadour24. She posts a few pictures from each book so you can get an idea of what sorts of designs are in them. Her selection is pretty extensive and can be overwhelming, but I have a lot of fun looking through the books.

------
Visit my little corner of the sew-o-sphere: http://yousewlikeagirl.blogspot.com/

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/5/13 5:30 PM

I think PR is where I first saw this, but I ordered it last May for my DD, and it is a really nice book and has paper patterns included:

Feminine Wardrobe: Town, Party, Resort

:)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

zora
zora
Intermediate
Germany
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 9/7/13 8:22 AM

I love Mrs Stylebook and the Pattern Magic books.

Padmé

Padmé
Member since 7/12/06
Send Message

Date: 9/7/13 10:25 AM

I went through my hard drive looking for my posts on the Stylebook magazine. I thought it had gone out of business, as no one really posted about it any more.

Sweet dress book came and I've looked through it. The picture on the cover has 2 back ties in that view, and I think that would be perfect as a top over my clothing during the day. It also comes finished up the back, and there are a few cute day type dresses and tunic style tops.

Coming out of the summer, I am looking for cooler clothing I can wear over a camisole or T, with leggings or sandels for day to day ease of wear for a homemaker. I want to be able to pull it off easily if I want to change to go out, or even put on over a swimsuit in my yard. It's just hard to run a vacum, pull a weed or two, cook a batch of something without resorting to pants all the time.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Japanese pattern books

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

New Look 6386

photo
by: julliams

Review
Butterick 5510

photo
by: JUNIPERJUN...

Review

Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.