SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Obvious diagonal, what is suitable? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Obvious diagonal, what is suitable?
Beautiful wool, but what can I make with it
CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

Date: 9/5/13 8:55 AM

In my stash I have an absolutely gorgeous wool that is very soft, drapey, heavy and kinda loosely woven. But the problem, which I was unaware of when I bought it online, is that it is distinctly diagonal. It is a heavy twill showing distinct diagonal lines of black and pink and gray. I have had this fabric for years and I love it, love the way it feels, looks, hugs when it drapes. I do not know what I can do with it. Most patterns I see say not suitable for obvious diagonals and this is very obvious diagnol, it is a heavy soft woven with a hand like a knit. I would like to make a long, plain coat but need a pattern that can be used successfully with a diagonally patterned fabric. Can anyone offer suggestions, please. I have edited the post to correct the wording and added a couple of pictures. This fabric would really only be for outerwear, or a suit and I am not up to creating a suit from it.

DSCF0924

DSCF0922
-- Edited on 9/5/13 11:36 AM --
-- Edited on 9/5/13 12:49 PM --

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to CathrynR <<

Date: 9/5/13 9:33 AM

I see a lot of patterns that say 'not suitable for obvious diagonal' but I've never seen one that says 'not suitable for obvious vertical'. I should pay more attention!

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

Date: 9/5/13 10:14 AM

Maybe make a pair of pjs so they'll go the other way when you sleep. I've never seen a pattern that noted it was unsuitable for horizontals.

Margasweet

Margasweet  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/15/05
Send Message

Date: 9/5/13 10:45 AM

Hi Cathryn,

I have a linen blend with diagonal stripes, and after much time thinking about it, I've come up with 2 ideas for using it:
1. a bias skirt or dress, so the diagonal stripes are now vertical
2. a 4 gore a-line skirt, flipping every-other gore so the diagonal lines make Vs

I haven't tried either option yet, and for my fabric & needs I'm leaning towards #1. With your soft wool I would think #2 would be better, more stable. A simple vest would work the same way, too, with downward pointing Vs in center front & back, upward Vs at the side seams.

------
2007 fabric in: 7 1/2 yards; sewn: 7 yds
2008 fabric in, 23 yards; sewn 20 yds; given away 6 yds
2009 fabric in 41 1/4 yds, sewn 29 yds, given away 22 1/2 yds
2010 fabric in 91 1/2 yds, sewn 27 yds, given away 1 1/2 yds;
2011 fabric in: 55 yd.; sewn: 21 yd; given away: 20 yd
2012 fabric in: 60 1/4 yd., sewn 25 1/4 yds, given away 16 yds, thrown away 3 yds scraps; UFOs completed: 7
2013 fabric in: 28 yds; sewn 25.7 yds.; given away 5 1/2 yd.s; projects 8, UFOs 4

2014 fabric in: 40.5 yd
2014 fabric sewn: 16 1/2 yd
2014 fabric given away: 8 1/2 yd
2014 projects completed: striped maxi skirt, bl/wh maxi dress, brown/turquoise sweater-knit tunic
2014 projects started: turquoise tank dress, tank dress,
2014 UFOs completed: 9 (5 small gift bags, pieced & quilted table runner, blue/wh maxi dress, silk infinity scarf, blue squares sm. quilt)

CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 9/5/13 10:58 AM

oops, my error in message, my message title is correct in saying that it is a diagonal, but in the message I say "vertical" which is wrong. I will go back and correct.

CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

In reply to Vicsguy <<

Date: 9/5/13 11:40 AM

Thank you for the input, but this fabric would not be suitable for Pj's. And I apologize for getting the directional description wrong in my original post, it was all meant to be referring to "diagonal."

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

In reply to CathrynR <<

Date: 9/5/13 12:07 PM

Cathryn, that is luscious fabric and needs to come out of your stash! You might consider Christine Jonson's Swing coat pattern. I have sewn this pattern twice and love it. My two versions look quite different because I tinkered with sleeve shaping and width. The drape of your fabric would work nicely.

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

BrendaR
BrendaR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 6/13/13
Send Message

Date: 9/5/13 12:26 PM

I think since the weave is diagonal, you can use any pattern. My understanding of "not suitable for obvious diagonals" is that when fabrics are printed with a diagonal pattern (and it depends on the scale too--anything smaller than 1/8" is not an issue) you would have difficulty matching at the prominent seams.

CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

In reply to Patti B <<

Date: 9/5/13 12:55 PM

Patti, that is the type of pattern I was thinking of, I am wondering about the shoulder area though on that pattern, it looks to have "big shoulders" ala' 80's. And I am not sure about that center back seam. In front the direction of the twill would go R to L or L to R across the full front (not forming a V as would a bias cut). I believe the back pieces would do the same, and I am not sure how that would effect the drape. But you have given me the idea to look through the review gallery, as well as fiddling around with the drape on my "Betty." Thanks for the suggestion.

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 9/5/13 5:57 PM

Lovely fabric, I agree w/ BrendaR ,no need to limit yourself. I actually used a similar fabric for a simple outerwear jacket years ago. Let the fabric be the star.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Obvious diagonal, what is suitable?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

McCall's 5963

photo
by: ChrisS

Review
Kwik Sew 3374

photo
by: Donel

Review
SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.