SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 800DL or 1150MDA for first overlocker? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 800DL or 1150MDA for first overlocker?
Blue55Bird
Blue55Bird
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 2/11/13
Send Message

Date: 9/6/13 3:38 PM

Hi, I am in UK and thinking about buying my first overlocker. Everyone on this board seems to call them "sergers" so I hope they are one and the same. I know next to nothing about them and mainly want one just to neaten seams on curtains and garments, so don't think I need anything too fancy. The 1150MDA retails at 645 in UK where the 800DL is 428 so there is quite a bit of difference. (The Babylock Enlighten is 1129 so definitely not an option for me). I am worried that, not really knowing what to look out for I may regret it if I buy the cheaper 800DL. On the other hand, if the 1150MDA is too complicated I may never use it, but it may allow me to do more things in the future - when I find out what overlockers can actually do! I will never again be in a financial position to buy another one so would be grateful if anyone can advise me please. My dealer, although very helpful, does not keep any in stock so I cannot go to look first.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Blue55Bird <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/6/13 4:44 PM

I have the 1150MDA. I did test drive the 800DL but preferred the other. It does better rolled hems. If you can afford it, I'd get the 1150MDA. It's not complicated to use...just need to get to know how to thread it.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

craftysandy
craftysandy
Member since 12/11/05
Send Message

Date: 9/6/13 7:20 PM

If you sew on knits, for sure you will need differential feed. It's a knob that adjusts for how the feed dogs work so that the knit seams don't stretch. It's an absolute necessity!
Be sure to take the classes.
The Bernina makes a beautiful rolled hem. It adjusts for all kinds of thread, another plus.

teagg
teagg
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/25/05
Send Message

Date: 9/6/13 7:43 PM

Get the better one. Ask around if anyone has one that you can try out. And negotiate some time for a training class.
When I bought my Janome in the UK about ten plus years ago I had one lesson. It was great.
If you can get multiple short lessons v one long day that would be better.
Craftsy dot com has online lessons and it might be worth signing up to their emails then waiting until they offer you a great reduction and then getting one or more of their Overlocking/serving classes.
The singer reference library books re Overlocking are also fantastic resources.
All these other sources of info will help inform your decision!
But go for more rather than less - holding out a little longer if need be!!!
Good luck!
G

------
G
Sydney, Australia

cruzer2013
cruzer2013
Intermediate
Member since 8/11/13
Send Message

Date: 9/6/13 8:00 PM

They are both excellent quality sergers, made for Bernina by Juki. The 1150 is a little easier to thread and has the micro tension adjustment. The 800 has the lower looper threader, so it's not too difficult either. They both have the differential feed and do 2,3,and 4 thread functions. Both will sew well and last many years. The main difference is the ease of threading, not quality or number of functions. Hope this helps a little. Cheers!

Blue55Bird
Blue55Bird
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 2/11/13
Send Message

In reply to cruzer2013 <<

Date: 9/6/13 11:29 PM

Thank you all for such quick responses, that is very kind. Your opinions have helped a lot. Somehow I thought it would be better to go for the more expensive one and I very much like the sound of the 1150 being a little easier to thread. My dealer's shop is a long way away but there is an overlocker course locally very soon which I hope to get a place on. This is what has spurred me on to buy one now really.
Thank you, teagg, for the advice about the Singer book. I have had a quick look but cannot find one yet in the UK but will keep looking. I do prefer written instructions, as my memory gets worse every day and, a couple of weeks after a class, I can never remember what seemed so very straightforward at the time!

MochaB
MochaB
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 9/10/13 2:31 PM

I bought an 1150 two years ago and I was in the same quandary as you. I just wanted a serger. I had a nice one that died after 18 years of being loved to death. :-)

After a suitable mourning period, I went out to find a new one. I was overwhelmed. I finally decided on the 1150 because I liked it the best, even thought the 800 was more or less functionally equivalent. My thinking was that if this machine lasted as long as the last one, I would want something that I really enjoyed using.

Bernina has videos for the 1300, which is the 1150's more expensive sibling that does coverstitching and chainstitching. You can watch them to get an idea about how to thread them. The 1150 has a needle threader similar to the ones on the sewing machines. I love that feature. After I get the loopers done, the needles are the easy part. (The 1300 does not have the needle threader.)

Bernina has a video that explains how to thread and use the 1150.

rebe
star
rebe  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/28/05
Send Message

Date: 9/10/13 4:57 PM

I had an 800dl and loved it. It makes a very nice rolled hem.

------
Rebecca Pitts
Bernina 430
Singer xl-6000
Singer 9960
Babylock Imagine
Elna 740 Excellence
Ellisimo

Geejay
Geejay
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/7/13
Send Message

Date: 9/10/13 7:01 PM

Either machine would be brilliant..I have the 800dl it has continued to serve me well for many years.
A great book is ..the complete serger handbook.. By Chris James.lots of helpful information
Good luck with your decision either one will be the right one..😃

Blue55Bird
Blue55Bird
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 2/11/13
Send Message

In reply to MochaB <<

Date: 9/11/13 10:59 AM

Thank you for the info about the Bernina videos. I have found them and think they will be very helpful, especially on how to thread it - which looks like it may be the tricky part! Anyway I have taken the plunge and ordered the 1150MDA. It will be a couple of weeks before it arrives and I find I am quite excited about it.
Thanks Geejay, for the book details. It is good to have a recommendation for a book and I have found one on Amazon so think that my slip into my basket soon also.
Thanks to all for your advice.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 800DL or 1150MDA for first overlocker?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

No Pattern Used couch slip cover

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review
PerfectFuse Light White

PerfectFuse Light White

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Child's Hawaiian Muumuu Dress or Nightgown

Victoria Jones Collection Child's Hawaiian Muumuu Dress or Nightgown

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 1022

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.