SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Unwanted "collectible" patterns ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Unwanted "collectible" patterns
Don't want it. Won't make it. Afraid to get rid of it.
Marge99
star
Marge99
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/8/10
Send Message

Date: 9/6/13 4:36 PM

I have a handful of patterns with collectible potential that I know I will never make. I am not a collector and I live in a tiny flat. Yet every time I tell myself that I am going to get rid of them I get cold feet. So I stare at them, turn them over a few times, peek inside the envelope and then put them back in my overcrowded pattern drawer.

One of the patterns is an Issey Miyake dress. When I did an internet search for it this afternoon, I got this link: Crazy Expensive Pattern. This is clearly a mistake of some sort, but the prices for some patterns do get a bit silly. It makes it really hard to decide what selling price would satisfy me.

I don't want to rip people off, but I also don't want to see a pattern I sold immediately reappear for twice my price on Etsy. And then of course there is my retirement to think of... what will these patterns be worth in 30/40 years' time?

What do folks on PR do when you have a pattern that you don't want, won't make, but are afraid to get rid of?

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Unwanted collectible patterns Date: 9/6/13 5:16 PM

Issey Miyake patterns do sell on ebay for a forturne if they are the older ones. I sold one for $35 dollars that I had a duplicate of. I have seen older patterns from famous designers go for outrageous amounts, especially if two or more bidders are determined to get it. I would put out for ebay and let the price go as far as the market will take it.

------
JanieV

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: Unwanted collectible patterns Date: 9/6/13 5:38 PM

Same as you.... "Don't want it. Won't make it. Afraid to get rid of it."

:)

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Datcat23
Datcat23
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/17/13
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Subject: Unwanted collectible patterns Date: 9/6/13 6:07 PM

The question is, even if the pattern fetches 3 or 4 .... or even 10 times the price its going for now, is it really going to impact on your retirement? I assume you have a pension plan/superannuation fund in place, so its unlikely that the sale of a vintage pattern is going to be needed to feed or house you. Very few things appreciate to the point of being able to support you financially.

A friend of mine is on a minimalist mindset at the moment, and she posted up an interesting statement this morning. If it stresses you to get rid of, then its precious and loved, so you keep it. If it stresses you to keep it, then it needs to go.

You need to work out which category these patterns fall into.

------
the barefoot seamstress ..... smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
www.castley.net/datcat

BriarRose
BriarRose
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/6/13 6:25 PM

Problem with that is sometimes the answer is- both.

------
I've quit fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

It's just fabric; we can out-think it.

Marge99
star
Marge99
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/8/10
Send Message

Date: 9/6/13 6:44 PM

To be honest, the comment about my retirement was meant as a joke - I'd have better luck buying lottery tickets than patterns as a retirement strategy!

Your friend makes a good point, and it made me think a bit. Perhaps the problem is that while I don't particularly value it, I know that other people do - and I don't really understand the value they put on it.

The thought of not having them does not bother me, but the thought of letting a mini-treasure go too easily does!

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Marge99 <<

Date: 9/6/13 7:17 PM

It might be worth the time to understand the range at which these patterns sell.

When DH passed away, he left me with 3 vintage automobiles for which I paid annual climate controlled storage, registered them, insured them and maintained them. The market was very different than when they were purchased. They sold at a significant loss. However, every year they represented a cost. I thought about it and after much research decided on a price I could accept/live with. It was a matter of knowing that there was a cost every year and a need to divest.

While there is a difference between an automobile and a pattern, the principle is the same. Find out what a rational price is and go with that if you truly want to divest.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to Marge99 <<

Date: 9/6/13 7:54 PM

Quote: Marge99
The thought of not having them does not bother me, but the thought of letting a mini-treasure go too easily does!

I've had those thoughts too. But I've also had the experience of NOT pulling the trigger (selling) when the demand was high.

On the other hand, I'm starting to think that if someone else has done enough research to be able to flip their purchase from me for a profit, then more power to them! That only holds if I'm generally happy with my return on investment ($$ and time to list on ebay or wherever.) I have some $$ in my pocket and stuff OUT of my house and fewer worries about finding a home for every little thing that I think has value in my house.

------

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to goodworks1 <<

Date: 9/6/13 7:59 PM

The unfortunate thing is that if the person disposing of your possessions has no clue that an item may have value, it can simply go to the dump... or hopefully better than that, but still not so good, is that the item might be given to Salvation Army or similar.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to EleanorSews <<

Date: 9/6/13 8:03 PM

Quote: EleanorSews
The unfortunate thing is that if the person disposing of your possessions has no clue that an item may have value, it can simply go to the dump... or hopefully better than that, but still not so good, is that the item might be given to Salvation Army or similar.

Yeah, I definitely get this. I've spent the last few weeks preparing for a yard/estate sale of my cousin's fabric and sewing stuff. It was a real job; and sometimes even I did not know why she valued particular items or even what they were. (Don't worry, I recognized Ultrasuede and silks...)

(edited to say: Who am I kidding? I've spent the last YEAR getting stuff ready for the sale.... I think it's time to start on MY stuff.)
-- Edited on 9/6/13 8:04 PM --

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Unwanted "collectible" patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.