SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Serger coming Tuesday, what thread? How much? What else? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Serger coming Tuesday, what thread? How much? What else?
detroy
star
detroy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 8/4/13
Send Message

Date: 9/8/13 9:51 PM

I've never had or even touched a serger before, but I bought the Singer 14J250 Gold Box Deal @Amazon on a whim on Saturday. I've always wanted one, and now it's coming Tuesday! I don't know what I'll need as far as thread and stuff.... can anyone clue me in? Thread - how much, what kind, where to buy it? What else might I need?

TGWGWS
TGWGWS  Friend of PR
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 8/15/08
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 0:41 AM

I use Maxilock serger thread. I order from Wawak. They usually have some good prices on thread and when you need 4 to 5 spools for the serger, the savings add up. They have a 2 day sale right now for Maxi-Lock at $1.79 a spool...http://www.wawak.com/jump/20130909.cfm
Have fun with your new machine!

------
Tina
------
I do not weep at the world I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.
zora neal hurston

Viking Rose
Elna 945
Brother PE-770

Lovin To Stitch
Lovin To Stitch  Friend of PR
Member since 9/29/11
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 0:48 AM

Detroy, I highly recommend checking out Maxi-Lock thread at Wawak Sewing Supplies. In my experience, Maxi-Lock is a good quality serger thread and Wawak definitely has the best prices I've found. They are wonderful to work with, you can return any thread that isn't the correct color you need, and they do have sales. I also substitute Maxi-Lock Stretch when Wooly Nylon is recommended. I have found Sure-Loc to be a poor quality thread. Good luck and enjoy!

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 0:50 AM

Congratulations on your first serger! All you need is 4 spools of thread and some fabric. I have two sergers. One is a Janome I used for 9 years and the other is a new Brother that is easier to thread. I mainly use mine for finishing inside seams and the occasional rolled hem, though I know I should venture outside the box and try the other features as well. I will..I will...I will!

All this time I have gotten by with purchasing the large cones of serger thread, 4 of each, in the following colors: black, white, ivory, gray, and red. I match the fabric with the most closely related color and since it's on the inside it's fine. But you can use regular size spools too, except you need 4 of them. Not in my small space, thank you very much.

Here is a tip that is practical, especially for fine fabrics where the seam stitching could possibly show if the seam were stretched: Use thread on the needle(s) that match the fabric (regular small spools) and use your closest matching cone thread for your loopers. You don't have to buy or waste so much thread that way. For me, though, I have not had a problem using the cone thread for almost everything.

When you first get your serger, just use scraps you have and practice. Get used to the speed and how to slow down for curves. Read the book and watch the video, if there is one, and take in all the tips.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit: I have Maxi Lock, Madura Sure Lock and Toldi-Lock Gutermann cone threads and they have all been good. I have purchased at JoAnne stores and Allbrands online.
-- Edited on 9/9/13 0:57 AM --

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

sew4grands
star
sew4grands  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/23/09
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 11:16 AM

Don't buy a lot of thread, until you try it in your serger, some just like certain threads. Ask the dealer about what thread to use. He may recommend a brand.
I use off white or gray. Off white works for light colors, gray works for darks. You don't want to rethread your serger for every garment, like a sewing machine.
Also if there a loose threads threaded in your new serger,
just tie the new thread onto this thread and pull it through the serger until you have threaded it with the thread you want. Nancy Zieman tells a story where she got her new serger, saw the threads hanging out and pulled them all out before she realized why they were there, took her 1.5 hours to thread it. If a pro can make this mistake, anyone can.
Also there may be an order in which to thread it so consult your manual about this.
-- Edited on 9/9/13 11:19 AM --
-- Edited on 9/9/13 11:22 AM --

------
Nancy B.
I sew with 4 Brothers and a Featherweight
Babylock Serger

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to detroy <<

Date: 9/9/13 11:33 AM

The machine you have chosen looks like a good one and you may never need to update.

Here's Vince with a right out of the box video!

Buy the best thread you can find in neutral colors. For matching the fabric at the seam, use sewing thread in the needles. Been there, done that for over twenty years.

The manual will provide basic information. And, since videos tend to put me to sleep , (I will watch Vince) I have found Nancy Zieman's "Serge with Confidence" helpful for showing how to do different techniques.

Someone must have thought threading the left needle to be a little tricky and posted this video.

-- Edited on 9/9/13 11:52 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to detroy <<

Date: 9/9/13 2:25 PM

Congratulations on a new serger! I buy Maxilock from Hancock fabrics when on sale (about $2.00 a spool). I started with a dark gray/almost black color. I have found that goes with everything and I keep this in my serger most of the time. It handles darks nicely. I like white, cream/natural, and brown, too. I find these colors go with most of what I sew. You can always use regular thread in the needles if you want to match your fabric and a neutral in the loopers. Make sure you get the right needles. Mine take both sm needles and serger needles-I keep the serger needles in most of the time. Then all you need is fabric.

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 9:41 PM

Another vote for Maxi-lock from Wawak's!

And I agree, don't get a lot of colors at first; start with black, white, maybe some cream or brown

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 11:08 PM

I say buy threads! Maxilock seems to do very well across the board. Get at least 3 in a dk navy or brown and get at least 3 in a white or cream. If you can afford it, get 4. Also get 3 brilliant colors like a green, pink or red, and light blue. You will need to thread each needle and looper with a different color to learn just how the stitches are formed and to tweak the tension.
Get a pk of dental floss threaders and a double eye needle. You will need that to feed threads back into a serged seam. Get Fray Check (?) to seal off threads. You will want a good book of projects, like Ready Set Serge and a good book about sergers, like Serging with Confidence. Try your library.
That will get you started. After arrival, you may need to get a needle holder, needle threader and looper threader. Many sergers ship with these, some don't.
If you make garments save what's left after cutting out your pattern. They are the oddest shapes and sizes and will give you practice on various fabrics and doing inside and outside curves and corners.
That's my 2 cents!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 9/10/13 2:27 AM

If your overlocker didn't come with tweezers you will need them for threading. Look for nice long ones with skinny ends at a bit of an angle. If the tips have any sort of grip to them that's good too.
I like Maxi Lock thread a lot. You can use neutral light and dark colours for a bit to get started and then add colours that you wear often.
Make sure you have needles in sufficient quantity to last a few projects. Does it take special type of needles or standard?

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Serger coming Tuesday, what thread? How much? What else?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2009-125

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Folkwear 232

photo
by: patternadd...

Review
SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

Buy Now
A-Door-Ables

A-Door-Ables

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.