SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Pfaff Creative Sensation vs Babylock TOL ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pfaff Creative Sensation vs Babylock TOL
Which should I buy?
TxHoneybee
TxHoneybee
Member since 5/8/12
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 11:37 AM

Hi, I have been looking at a TOL Babylock. I currently sew on a BL Quest Plus. I currently mainly quilt, but have sewn a little home decor. I would consider myself an advanced beginner, but hope to continue to get better. I will be retiring in three years so this machine will be my retirement companion! Here is my conundrum. I have been taking a Craftsy class and noticed Kimberly Einmo sewing with a Pfaff. It has such a lovely straight stitch. Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to TxHoneybee <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/9/13 12:08 PM

The Pfaff CS is a pfabulous machine, and personally would be my choice over the BL. The #1 Must-Have for me in a main sewing machine is IDT, and the BL doesn't have it.

But the BL does have great features and does beautiful embroidery. For sewing, imo the CS beats it, hands down. For embroidery, I think they're both superb.

Both are TOL for a reason; they are superb machines. So you'll need to sit and play with both to discover which is meant for you.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

erinsluck
star
erinsluck  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/22/11
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 9/9/13 12:36 PM

I wouldn't strongly caution against Pfaff. If you follow the user groups Babylock is far more reliable as a general rule. However, shop for a dealer first. Make sure you find one with great classes and after the sale support. My dealer in Southern PA stands behind his machines and offers lots of classes and help. I started out a Bernina nut and now find Babylock much more to my liking. They are very intuitive and easy to use. I have heard a lot of unhappy stories about Pfaff.

------
Erin "Debbie" Wilson
Babylock Ellisimo Gold II, Bernina 830LE, Babylock Ovation, Janome 9900 and Featherflock

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to TxHoneybee <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/9/13 1:57 PM

Since you gave two choices. Pfaff vs Babylock.

I vote Babylock! For both sewing and embroidery!

(but you might want to add the Brother DreamWeaver/DreamMaker) to the mix....

-- Edited on 9/9/13 7:00 PM --
-- Edited on 9/11/13 12:30 PM --

------
AngieRose, who love sewing, machine embroidery and quilting. 2008 Babylock Ellisimo, 2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000, Bernina 1090, Singer Featherweight & 2009 Prodigy Quilter
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/9/13 4:06 PM

Pfaff for sewing, Babylock for ease in embroidery (though you can embroider larger on the Pfaff).
There. Easy answer. Did that make the decision easier?

------
Karen

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Karen31 <<

Date: 9/9/13 4:10 PM

Damn, that's what I tried to say, only you said it so much better!

------
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

TxHoneybee
TxHoneybee
Member since 5/8/12
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 5:54 PM

Thank you for your responses. I called both Pfaff dealers, in my area, and one gave me a price of 10k minus 20%, and the other quoted 5999. The only CS available are now pre-opened. I am not really happy about this, and since the cost savings is not terribly significant, I think I will probably buy either the Ellisimo Gold, or Unity.
-- Edited on 9/9/13 5:55 PM --
-- Edited on 9/9/13 5:57 PM --

Lori9999
star
Lori9999
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/6/12
Send Message

Date: 9/9/13 6:03 PM

I'm not familiar with the Babylock you referenced, but, I just purchased a Pfaff Creative Sensation a couple weeks ago, and after having used it a bit, I wish I had purchased the Babylock Ellisimo Gold.

Things I don't like about the Pfaff and you might want to check out in person:
-The Pfaff is not intuitive to use (for me anyway), and requires constant referral to the manual.
-It will not consistently make exact duplicate buttonholes and many of the buttonholes are not equal in width on the left and right sides.
-You have to scroll thru many pages on the screen to select stitches or embroidery designs, instead of being able to just enter the stitch/design number.
-Very difficult to align embroidery designs (vs the camera and snowman on the EG)
-The reverse button is in an awkward place and hard to see.
- The touch screen stylist holder is in an awkward place on the front of the machine and I constantly hit one of the buttons on the screen when putting the stylist in its holder, and knock it out of it's holder when reaching for my scissors, pin cushion, etc.

Hope this info helps.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation
Janome New Home MC 6000
Babylock Cover Stitch
Babylock Enlighten Serger
Bernina Deco 340
Simplicity 12 Needle Felting Machine

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/9/13 6:41 PM

My opinion - If you want to sew more than embroider go with Pfaff. If you want to embroider more than sew, go with babylock.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 9/9/13 7:02 PM

Unless you wanna do really big embroideries, as Pfaff has the largest hoops and I much prefer the Pfaff hoop closure to the BL.

But the BL snowpeople are very nice, especially when one wishes to embroider "the day after the night before".

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Pfaff Creative Sensation vs Babylock TOL

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Burda 8332

photo
by: MNBarb

Review
Amy Butler Style Stiches

photo
by: zombieamel...

Review
Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.