SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > topstitching pant legsa ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
topstitching pant legsa
Jane Misslich
Jane Misslich
Intermediate
WI USA
Member since 5/3/06
Send Message

Date: 9/11/13 1:01 PM

I've searched the message boards and can't find exactly what I'm looking for so I thought perhaps the Sewing Techniques and Tips forum would be the best area for my question. In sewing jeans and pants when you want to topstitch the legs, how do you accomplish this when the legs are so skinny? Even with my free arm machine, it's hard to get all the way up and down the leg and have a nice-looking stitch. In the latest issue of Threads, in their article about jeans, Kenneth King advises sewing the side seams and topstitching before you put the legs together but then the inseams are hard to topstitch......any advice?

Thanks, Jane

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 9/11/13 1:49 PM

None of my RTW jeans have topstitching on the inside leg. I am still in the "thinking about it" stage on sewing jeans, but have decided that I will not topstitch the inside leg.

------
Ada

SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 9/11/13 2:32 PM

I only topstitch the side seams -- stitch up the side seams, topstitch and then do the inseams.

Have never tried to do both.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
53.875 yards sewn (as of 07/28/14)
79.875 yards purchased (as of 07/28/14)

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
OH USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

Date: 9/11/13 4:22 PM

Inseams are not topstitched. It's an impossible endeavor.

lca
star
lca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 6/4/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/11/13 4:31 PM

All my RTW jeans are topstitched on the inseam. I read somewhere that several years ago the RTW industry switched to the inseam because of wear and tear. I topstitch mine before sewing the side seams.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/11/13 4:38 PM

Keep in mind that the flat-felled seams you see on RTW jeans are produced with a specialized sewing machine that can put a FF seam on a tube.

Video: How It's Made Jeans (If this link is not active, just Google "video how it's made jeans".)

At time stamp 2:47 you can see the specialized machine that does the entire flat felled outer seam in one pass along a tube, not something easily accomplished with a home sewing machine.

ETA:Here's the machine: Feed-off-the-Arm machine, Singer 261U, and a more detailed description here. Speaking only for myself, I am unlikely to have one of these in me sewing room any time soon.

CMC
-- Edited on 9/11/13 5:01 PM --

Immelu
star
Immelu  Friend of PR
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 5/6/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/11/13 8:34 PM

It seems to me that on the Jalie jeans pattern, you do topstitch the inner legs before sewing the outside leg seams. Then, after you sew the outside seam, you only top stitch to down about where the pocket ends. It's shown in the instructions in steps 37 - 40.

Jalie 2908 instructions

Is that what you mean??
-- Edited on 9/11/13 8:38 PM --

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 8:48 AM

My RTW jeans have topstitching on the inseam, not on the outside seam but I once decided to top stitch trouser side seams after the legs were all stitched up, while using a pattern that did not ask me to top stitch, to be fair to the pattern maker! My own idea entirely. As I got further down the leg seam it was like sewing into a time tunnel, but I did manage it LOL Not sure I recommend it, but it's doable if you're patient (stubborn??!) and the legs aren't skinny.

A different pattern that did call for topstitching had me make up the pants in a different order. Very sensible.

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

In reply to Immelu <<

Date: 9/12/13 8:51 AM

Quote: Immelu
It seems to me that on the Jalie jeans pattern, you do topstitch the inner legs before sewing the outside leg seams. Then, after you sew the outside seam, you only top stitch to down about where the pocket ends. It's shown in the instructions in steps 37 - 40.

Jalie 2908 instructions

Is that what you mean??
-- Edited on 9/11/13 8:38 PM --

I did men's QuikSew jeans that made up like this also. Top stitched the inseam, before the other seams are sewn up, and top stitch just past the pocket on the outside seam.
PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 10:29 AM

Go with what Mr. King says!

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> topstitching pant legsa

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6136

photo
by: usbeckers

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.