SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Commodore sewing machine: buy it? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Commodore sewing machine: buy it?
Need some input on what this machine is all about!
runrachrun
runrachrun
Intermediate
Member since 9/11/13
Send Message

Date: 9/11/13 3:49 PM

hi there

my friend sent me this listing for a Commodore sewing machine, which is a brand i have never heard of. I searched the message boards but couldn't find anything. My online research suggests it's a Japanese brand?

I've attached the link so you can see the pictures of it. Emailed the seller for the model number.
http://rochester.craigslist.org/fuo/4060767365.html

Anyone have any ideas?
Curious.
Thanks!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to runrachrun <<

Date: 9/11/13 4:01 PM

I don't know that particular name, but this is an older machine and in a line of Japanese made machines I think. I think a price of 50 is more like it, even if it does sew well. CL always has machines that are in "excellent condition" and "sew like a dream" but beware. What are you looking for in a machine? Are you a person with lots of machines, or a new sewer and so on?

If you would like it as a door stop, then great, but if you want it as a main machine, this might not be the best option. On the other hand who knows? It may be a gem. It is all so uncertain on CL.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 9/11/13 4:21 PM

It would seem to be a bit much to me. I thought at first it might be a kin to the Kenmore Commander 27 which is straight stitch only & a strong sewer. But it does not seem to be a Kenmore. ...As Mufffet said Buyer beware.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

runrachrun
runrachrun
Intermediate
Member since 9/11/13
Send Message

Date: 9/11/13 4:37 PM

the machine is actually for my friend. he wants one but i'm not sure if it's a good option to get a brand i've never worked with.

a.rose.sews
a.rose.sews
Advanced
Utah USA
Member since 6/14/13
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 0:35 AM

It looks like it only does straight and zig-zag. And It's quite old, and you probably wouldn't be able to get parts if you needed them. After you buy it, will it need to be serviced? That could cost another $50 to $90. I'd keep looking. If you can find an old Kenmore, those are pretty solid machines.

------
Annette -- Sewing Machine Mechanic
Bernina 230, Bernina 800DL serger, Kenmore (60 lbs), Singer Treaddle 1901, White serger, Mercury MO111 industrial, shell-stitch machine, plus several to fix and sell or use for parts.

Vandoels
Vandoels
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/27/13
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 0:59 AM

I've always had good luck with CL and machines. It's not fixed price, you know. Say you chatted it up/poked around, and the machine, if in good working order, is worth X to you. They can oy day no, but they rarely do.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 11:52 AM

Take a look at this link. It appears to be a British heavy duty machine. If your friend decides to purchase it, make sure it will run on USA electrical current and not European.

http://www.sewingonline.co.uk/machines/commodore/

sorry I don't know how to post a link, please copy and paste

Marie367
Marie367
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 1:31 PM

That machine might be great or it might need work. How handy is your friend with wiring etc? I think $25 is more like it; it is way over priced. You can get a vintage TOL Kenmore for about $100 (with cams etc) and probably several other vintage machines as well.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 1:45 PM

Commodore could be Montgomery Wards, but I believe most of those Japanese front loading machines are pretty strong.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 1:55 PM

Just read a comment on a Yahoo group discussion. The person has a Commodore (not sure what model) that was made by White for Sears.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Commodore sewing machine: buy it?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Vogue Patterns 1179

photo
by: Westy85

Review
Vogue Patterns 8742

photo
by: Gecko

Review
Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.