SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > wilcox-gibbs, union-special vs. babylock ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
wilcox-gibbs, union-special vs. babylock
cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/12/13 2:01 PM

Hi everybody.

It looks for sure as if I am going to be selling the property that my husband and I had for 32 yrs. He has passed on and it is crazy for me to try to maintain so much property and trees when I am going to be an old lady in about 5 mins.

So, here is the question. I could sell my Union Special industrial cover-stich binder, which I use now, only for hemming T-shirts. It works very well, but is extremely heavy and takes up space.
And I could sell my Wilcox-Gibbs 5 thread overlock, which works extremely well, but I use it mostly for personal projects now.

How crazy would I be to sell both these machines and expect to fill that gap with a BabyLok, when I get to a new location? I have never sewn on a Babylok, but if it has a nice stitch, a good knife system and is easy to figure out, then it just might be the right choice.

All opinions are welcomed.

ajoseph
ajoseph  Friend of PR
Member since 10/10/12
Send Message

In reply to cinca <<

Date: 9/12/13 2:49 PM

i hear you!!!! i only know antique wilcox-gibbs sewing machines. the best advice i can give is for you to go to you local babylock dealer and try the machine you are interested in. bring your T shirts and whatever other fabrics u sew on to see which machine will do exactly what u want it to do. only u can decide what is right for u. good luck. sorry about your loss.

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

In reply to ajoseph <<

Date: 9/12/13 3:05 PM

Thank you. I know I have to find the time to go in and investigate, but always like to collect other insights as well. Well, I guess my Wilcox-Gibbs in getting close to being an antique. Bought it rebuilt, about 38 yrs. ago. Thanks for your input.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to cinca <<

Date: 9/12/13 4:12 PM

Well I have a over 10 year old, older Babylock Evolve, that will do a 5 thread safety stitch and a T shirt cover stitch. Since it's not on a big table with a motor under it, I guess it does take up less space.

Also of course, would not sew through thicker fabric as good, or run as fast or anything like that. Also it cost me a whopping $1,800 brand new, even way back then, and that is not even counting all the binders and folders. So even if you wanted one of those, and used from someone or someplace, I think you still might end up paying at least $600 to $800 for one of those old ones even too.

So, I think you had better count on trying to get at least $800 or so, from both your old Union Special and old Wilcox and Gibbs, if you even plan to use the same money from one thing, to even fully cover the other thing, even if you got a older used home Babylock to do that. If you wanted to get a New Babylock, (one or two of them) to try to do sort of the same thing, then I think you would somehow have to get probably 2 or 3 times that amount of money from your old stuff, to to do the same thing.

So depending on what you could get someone/anyone to pay you for what you got now, it might not even pay you and cover the money you would need or it would take you to buy a brand new Babylock that might do some of the same things, and really not quite as good. So I would not in particular equate "home machine" as less expensive at all, than non home machine at all, always either.

Babylock brand feet and folders and binders and such cost me maybe about $37 to $67 each most times also, and I think that makes them just as expensive (or even maybe more so) as any like thing for those other machines you got also. Same ones might even fit if you had bolt holes on machine bed in sort of like places though.

I think you had better go sew on some of what ever you are thinking about, before you actually part with your nice old stuff, that you really do use right now. I think that really is the only way to tell if you would like and use something else better or not, ahead of time at all.
-- Edited on 9/12/13 4:17 PM --

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 9/12/13 5:18 PM

Thank you, beauturbo. Many good points to consider. I don't think I can get enough for my old work horses to cover a new Baby Lok. But I would not have to move them. If I can find the model of Baby Lok which does both the cover and the overlock stitch, then I can save space, as I will have to scale down my space when I relocate. The crucial issue is how well it sews, so will have to try it out, for sure.

It is really hard to give up the kind of performance I am used to, but since I no longer need heavy duty machines, this trade-off could work for me. Thanks.

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

Date: 9/12/13 11:24 PM

Well, I thought I had heard or read about a BabyLok which does both functions. serge and coverstitch. Have been trying to find one online and did not succeed. So, that will blow my plan back to the drawing board. Drat.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

Date: 9/13/13 0:59 AM

I have the Babylock Evolution that serges and cover stitches. It's a pain in the neck to change over from one to the other. Always seems to be in the wrong mode. I worked and worked with it to make it the 'easy switch' they say it is. I'm fairly handy when it comes to equipment and it was a lot of fiddling to change from one to the other. Maybe 10 minutes each time, unless you drop the needle or can't get the needle lined up. Made me cross-eyed and grouchy.

I like that the Evolution is heavier than the Imagine and doesn't jump around when sewing fast.

I bought a used (demo model) BL coverstitch because I got tired of changed modes. It's ok, but probably not as good as what you have.

If there's any way to keep your faithful friends, I'd do it. The new ones just don't have umph you're used to.

Go sew on them and see what you think. If I had an old faithful, I'd keep it if there was any way to take it with you.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 9/13/13 7:43 AM

I have the BL Evolution that does both. I posted a review on it- there are quite a few on PR to look at. I can email you a copy if my review if you cant access it- its quite long and detailed.
We downsized and moved. I have had my Evolution for about 4 years now and still love it.
When you go to test it out take in your semi completed T. Have the sides done and sleeves in. Try putting the neck ribbing in and hemming it with the Evolution and see how you like it.

There are times that I think I need to get either another OL or a CS for convenience (laziness?) but I never do! It takes less than 3 min to make the switch between CS and OL- mostly due to moving the needles into the other location.
My favorite is changing thread colors- it is a breeze. I can match any color and use nearly every type of thread. It takes seconds!

So it depends on how you use it. I like that it is very compact and can share a space and one outlet with my sm.
I am very sorry for your loss and quite understand. My husband agreed to leave our 3 acres of trees to downsize so I would not have to do it alone. Please take care of yourself. And good luck with your move.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

AtiyaAfi
AtiyaAfi
New York USA
Member since 5/23/10
Send Message

In reply to cinca <<

Date: 9/13/13 9:34 PM

sewdoggie22 and SandiMacD have some good points and I say keep the machines. There's nothing like good old working machines that do good work. I remember giving away an 'old' machines (and other non-sms) in the past and was sorry afterward, as I was wanting its use and had to do without the 'good performance'. I always regretted it. Keep the machines.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 9/14/13 5:55 AM

I am guessing you are weighing the decidions of what heavy items you can do without when you move. We used moving company and they gave us a 10K estimate. We then gave away a UHaul and 6 pickup trucks full of stuff- furniture, closet linens, garage, tools, kitchenware, sewing stuff, etc.
2 weeks after they delivered we got a bill- the weight was 13K!!!
It was not worth it. They are not honest about your weight and then you owe them extra thousands of dollars.
I dont know if the weight is part of your concern. Yes, it is nice to keep the machines. I only kept 2 machines- my Evolution and Ellisimo. I am very glad I did not pay to move the other 4. But only you can know what you will be OK not taking.
Most of the things I took pictures of and gave to the kids. I am OK with not having them in my house here. But that is me.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> wilcox-gibbs, union-special vs. babylock

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Simplicity 2398

photo
by: MaidenJane

Review
Simplicity 2181

photo
by: chesneykat

Review
Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

More Info
SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.