Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Kenmore Pattern Cam ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Kenmore Pattern Cam
Searching for #21 (26861)
jlrasnic
jlrasnic
Member since 5/3/13
Login to reply to this post

Date: 9/12/13 3:16 PM

Hi, I'm a new owner of a Vintage Kenmore 158.16012. When I purchased it there were no accessories or even a presser foot on it and the zig zag was frozen. After lubricating and working with the zig zag it now works beautifully. Next, I bought four boxes of accessories from an ebay seller. All wonderful then I discovered I needed a cam for simple stretch straight stitch and stretch zig zag stitch which is cam #21. Anyone out there have a cam #21 for sale I would love to buy it. Thanks.

speattle
speattle
Member since 2/10/11

In reply to jlrasnic <<

Date: 9/14/13 2:32 AM

Have you checked EBAy? I found load of Singer cams there.

jlrasnic
jlrasnic
Member since 5/3/13

Date: 9/14/13 8:58 AM

Yes. One of my four boxes of accessories was a box of 30 cams. Very nice but it did not include cam #21. Still searching ebay daily. Don't want to buy another whole box of cams. Just the one I need. Hopefully one will eventually turn up.

tommig
tommig  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 6/17/10

Date: 10/2/13 8:17 AM

The box of cams you bought was probably for a machine that had that stitch built in so a #21 cam was not needed. I may have that cam if you are still needing it.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 10/2/13 10:09 AM

I have a Kenmore with cams so I understand the gist of the thread, but I have to say every time I read the title I imagine a tiny spy camera that can burrow into closed pattern envelopes.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

Date: 10/3/13 2:04 PM

Can you subsitute a narrow zig-zag stitch for the stretch stitch?

Did you get a manual with the machine?

-- Edited on 10/3/13 2:05 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

Date: 10/3/13 2:46 PM

I don't think you will ever get that machine to do any reverse cycle stretch stitches like that. Just because it's not only the cam,or only that it's Kenmore at all, it's also how they built and made the machine too. It has to have that capability first. I think that one is just a bit too old, to be able to do any stretch reverse cycle kind of stitches. When a cam is in there, cam fingers have to ride on the cam, and those control forward movement of the machine, sideways needle bar movement, and reverse cycle feed dog movement, and there are not even any cam riding fingers built into that machine's device where you would put any cam in, to even do that and make it try to reverse cycle the feed dogs like that at all.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

Date: 10/3/13 3:48 PM

Well, you made me curious, so I started Googling around. I bought a set of similar cams for my niece to use with a similar vintage Kenmore, so I'm somewhat familiar with these cams.

I found this review for a 158.17511 which discussed the reverse stitch cams in some detail: Kenmore 158.17511 review, Stitch Nerd blog by Sonia.

You can see that there's a reverse stitch length control knob on the back of the machine, which I assume is how you would determine if your machine does reverse stitching or not.

There are some pictures of reverse stitch cams, stitch outs, and the reviewer provides some info about how to set the stitch width and length to get the desired affect.

Enjoy,
CMC
-- Edited on 10/3/13 3:49 PM --

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 10/3/13 5:26 PM

Yes, but I think those are just two different machines, and so not the same. I wanted to see what the cam device and cam following/riding fingers even looked like, so I saw a picture of the same model of machine, with the top off, and the cam device here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92IplEgK34

There is no cam in that machine, but you can see the cam moving device and also the only cam follower/stitch finger that would be riding it, if you even had a cam up on top of it there, of any kind. So I just see nothing to even make your feed dogs know to move backwards (as in reverse cycling) or be able to do that at all, as I do believe you would need that there to do that. The one and only cam riding finger there I believe, is just going to control the needle swing of the machine instead.

Here is your schematic here:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-Parts/Sewing-machine-Parts/Model-15816012/0582/1220000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=15816012

Can't see anything about the cam mechansim that would let you do that either there. As it's only even going to take very flat single style cam finger, kind of cams. The kind that the cam finger riding on the cam, makes the needle bar go sideways. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I once found a lovely bag of 30 nice pea green double cams for a Kenmore for $3.95 at the Goodwill Store. then I found a Kenmore machine for $15 the same day at another Goodwill Store. I thought they might work together. I did not look at them compared to each other, good enoughOnly when I got home with both, did I realize that was not going to be happening.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 10/3/13 6:17 PM

Yes, they are two different machines, but sometimes there's a lot of commonality in the features of similar Kenmore machines.

You brought up the question of whether or not the 158.16012 is capable of doing reverse feed stitches. In the review of the 158.17511, the reviewer uses cams 21, 22, 23, & 24, which all seem to be reverse feed stitch cams. (She includes photos of the cams and the stitch-outs.)

The 158.17511 has a reverse stitch length knob on the back of the machine; if the 158.16012 (jlrasnic's machine) also has such a knob at the back, I would assume/guess that the 158.16012 can also do reverse feed stitches -- with the appropriate cams, of course.

CMC
-- Edited on 10/3/13 6:21 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Kenmore Pattern Cam

Merchants on PR
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Online Sewing Classes
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

ModKid Patterns nina nina
photo
Review by Saint Nolt... on 11/5/10
Read Review

Maria Denmark Paula Pleat Skirt Digital Pattern
Maria Denmark Paula Pleat Skirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.90
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Cathy Top and Dress Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Cathy Top and Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Onion 5038
photo
Review by Sew Little... on 3/6/07
Read Review

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victory Lola Paper Pattern
Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2331 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Simplicity 2331 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 7167 Pattern
Burda 7167 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN