SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Who's working on Halloween? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Who's working on Halloween?
meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 9/13/13 9:17 PM

Last year, I went way OTT. I've convinced my family to go simple and classic this year and my kids are excited. My boys will both be ghosts and my 3 year old will be a black kitty cat. (She's already crawling around the house meowing.) If its this simple, I figure we can dress up to and I want to be a witch. The kids have it in their heads that dad should be a fat pumpkin. They find this hilarious and I admit that I do too.

So the black kitty couldn't be simpler. I've been that enough times myself! Velvet ears and a tail and black clothes, some painted whiskers. Done. I'm interested in a big dramatic cape for myself, a pointy hat of course and black street clothes. How do we feel about Ryan challis for the cape? Will it be too leightweight?

For the ghosts, I'm thinking of hooded capes out of cheesecloth or something similar.

I'm stumped on the pumpkin. Felt? Fleece? I'm picturing a fruit of the loom style contraption, but I'm open to clever easy cheap ideas.

------
Melanie

Quickie
star
Quickie
NETHERLANDS
Member since 10/8/10
online now
Send Message

Subject: Whos working on Halloween? Date: 9/14/13 2:51 AM

That is not easy. I 'm afraid felt and fleece won't work for making an adult found. Sorry my english is not enough to understand a fruit of the loom contraption. Do you mean a construction with hoops in it? That was my thaught. Perhaps the electrician has those flexible pipes in which they fit the electric wires..But really. Is hobby going to put this on?

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Subject: Whos working on Halloween? Date: 9/14/13 6:23 AM

I have to laugh too. When I think of fruit of the loom contraption we have an American company called Fruit of the Loom and they make underwear! So a contraption to make underwear?

But now serious on your pumpkin problem. All the costumes sound cute. I think you are on the right track with orange fleece that can be stuffed out round all around the chest and belly. So a contraption like a hoop skirt frame but in the middle and not the bottom?
Then wear black pants and use black face paint for the stem. You can draw a face on the chest.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

Date: 9/14/13 7:35 AM

I just googled pumpkin costume, and there are a few. I saw one that looked like it was made like a bubble dress. I have just made several bubble dresses for my GD and it wasn't hard. Funny the about the Fruit of the Loom. I made a couple costumes for a fruit of the loom foursome 30 years ago, the 2 guys in the group were a banana and an apple. The women were grapes, using leotards and balloons. I made the apple like a bubble dress, using felt, but I didn't know what a bubble dress was then. I did add a little padding to the sections to make it stand out a bit more.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Whos working on Halloween? Date: 9/14/13 4:30 PM

Oh now I get it. The Fruit of the Loom company logo that is a picture of fruit pieces!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 9/14/13 5:37 PM

Yes, there were lots of commercials with adult men dressed up as the fruit. They ran for a long time. Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I'll see what kinds of supplies I have access to.

What is everyone else working on for Halloween?

------
Melanie

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

In reply to meleliza <<

Date: 9/14/13 6:40 PM

Consider a hulahoop for the basic shape of the pumpkin, or I have used the hoops out of the calapsible laundry/storage hampers.
I once did Humpty Dumpty by cutting and shaping foam, then covering it with fabric.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/14/13 7:01 PM

I imagine a huge t-shirt that's very long and doesn't have sleeves. Stitch high loft quilt batting to the inside, quilting it every four inches on the vertical. (pumpkin lines), in a darker thread than the orange fabric you use. Make a drawstring for the bottom, and once he's in it, fill with either packing peanuts in plastic grocery bags or light pillow batting, just around the bottom edges to make it poof out; maybe up a little higher toward his knee.

You could also use a very large pillow case, or sew two sheets together, after they are dyed and curve the seam allowances, starting about a foot away from the bottom edge, and continue to the bottom (to make it look more like a circle) Like this:
| |
( )
As to a hat/stem: A bill-less baseball cap with green felt triangles stitched on .

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Doctor Sister

Doctor Sister  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/5/06
Send Message

Date: 9/14/13 7:04 PM

I actually made a Pumpkin costume about 20 years ago. It was a commercial pattern from one of the big three. It was sleeveless and a big ball made out of sections. There was a lining (I think) that was slimmer fitting. Between the two there was a slit on the inside and you stuffed it full of netting (several yards) I'll look for the pattern. (It had a little green hat made out of felt.)

Sis.

Doctor Sister

Doctor Sister  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/5/06
Send Message

Date: 9/14/13 7:13 PM

there are a couple of adult and child pumpkin costumes on Etsy. Simplicity 4007 and Butterick 6850
New one I found on Simplicity 2788 for children. I think it's the same as the old one under the old number on Etsy. I mean would pumpkin go out of style????

If anyone has an infant....... McCalls has an infant carrot costume that is the cutest thing ever......

Sis

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Who's working on Halloween?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

McCall's 5815

photo
by: KG2

Review
SewBaby Petal Dress Pattern

SewBaby Petal Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.