SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Finished Measurements? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Finished Measurements?
What's with "printed on pattern tissue"
Shona
star
Shona  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 11/9/02
Send Message

thumbsup 11 members like this.

Date: 9/15/13 10:41 PM

I just got in a bunch of patterns from the latest BMV sale, and am I the only one miffed that the finished lengths, etc. are "printed on pattern tissue". If I'd like to check the length of a skirt to see whether I can get away with less fabric, I really don't feel like pulling all that tissue apart to find a tiny little square that lists the lengths. And this on pattern envelopes that have good-sized line drawings on the back with plenty of white space. That information could easily be fit in. Or at least put it on the instructions? I'm not going to remember to save that little corner of pattern when I cut it out, so next time I'm out of luck? And I keep my pattern envelopes in a binder with the pieces and instructions filed in a box, so it means more work. Grrrr. OK, rant over.

Rhey
Rhey
Intermediate
Member since 6/26/11
Send Message

In reply to Shona <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 9/16/13 1:43 AM

You are not the only one. I find it especially irritating when I am choosing between two different sizes that are in separate envelopes and trying to decide by finished measurements which one I should get.
What's worse is that the measurements are not concentrated in a little square on the pattern sheet. The measurements are placed on the actual pattern pieces where that measurement is; the finished bust measurements are on the actual bust line and the hem circumference is all the way down wherever the hem is on a totally different pattern piece. So you have to lay out every sheet of paper to find the measurements that are scattered throughout. On the bright side, you only lose the measurements if you lose one of the main pieces. I usually write all the measurements on a post it and stick that on the instructions, but it's still annoying hunting them down. Oh, and I think some of their knit patterns don't even have finished measurements printed anywhere.

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 9/16/13 2:20 AM

And another moan to add to this pile. The 'finished measurement' is not always accurate. Try measuring the pattern pieces across the bust line taking off seam allowances, and you'll see what I mean.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

Shona
star
Shona  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 11/9/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/16/13 10:20 AM

I forgot all about the body measurements hassle. I was thinking more of the lengths; on the first pattern I pulled off they are just randomly stuck OUTSIDE of any of the pattern pieces. The finished lengths always used to be part of the chart on the back of the envelope. grumble grumble

Nancy in A2

Nancy in A2  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/12/04
Send Message

In reply to Shona <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 9/16/13 11:28 AM

Oh, for pities sake. Some time last year (I think) BMV did this. A bunch of people complained and the measurements reappeared. It looks like we need another writing campaign, explaining that we need this information before we buy a pattern.

------
Nancy
Stitcher in Paradise, Ann Arbor

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 9/16/13 11:29 AM

I guess I should take the time to send a note to McCall's and tell them that whenever Simplicity offers a similar design, I choose Simplicity, because they care enough to put the measurements ON THE ENVELOPE.
-- Edited on 9/16/13 11:30 AM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/16/13 11:50 AM

Good idea!

MissParayim
star
MissParayim
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/22/12
Send Message

In reply to petro <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/16/13 1:01 PM

Oh THANK YOU for this confirmation of something I have suspected.
I found this to be the case on a Simplicity pattern (don't remember which one), as I was starting to work through Nancy Zieman's fitting book. It frustrated me so much, I didn't continue on with that book. I was sure I must be mentally deficient because I measured it several times, and my measurement (less seam allowances) didn't change and didn't match what they said it would be.

------
www.missparayim.com

ChristineX
star
ChristineX
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/28/05
Send Message

In reply to Shona <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/16/13 1:48 PM

I am also annoyed by this trend. I don't understand it.

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/16/13 5:03 PM

To play devil's advocate for a second, sometimes the pattern envelope backs are really crowded, with line drawings and all the other measurements they have to have on there, so it would be tricky to get finished measurements on there too.

I wish, actually, that pattern envelopes still had the outlines of all the pieces on them, like they did with vintage patterns for a while, so that you could visualize how things go together and how you'd lay out your pattern pieces.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Finished Measurements?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Other Sew News Oct. 06

photo
by: SewEccentr...

Review
Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.