SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Fusible Interfacing - Proper Storage? Expiry Date? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fusible Interfacing - Proper Storage? Expiry Date?
Longblades
Longblades
Intermediate
CANADA
Member since 7/28/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/16/13 6:31 PM

I applied some last night and it seems to have lost it's stick. As soon as I handled the facing pieces the lightweight fused interfacing began to separate from the fabric. Now, the fabric is 100% polyester, I think, and it's kind of satiny, read slippery. But the interfacing doesn't stay attached to cotton for very long either.

It was folded and neatly stored but I wonder if I should be storing it in a sealed plastic bag?

I'm not sure how long I've had it. Several years, more than 5 I guess. Does it have an expiry date? Should I only buy enough at a time to do the project I'm working on? Forgo stocking up at the Fabricland sale that's coming up?

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to Longblades <<

Date: 9/16/13 8:28 PM

I think it depends on the type of interfacing you buy. I have had some for 3 years that is still doing it's job.
I try to buy the best interfacing I can afford as I think price really does matter when you are buying interfacing.

------
Ada

BrendaR
BrendaR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 6/13/13
Send Message

In reply to Longblades <<

Date: 9/16/13 11:42 PM

Some polyesters are treated with teflon. You could try fusing the interfacing on to a different fabric as a test. I don't think anything will stick to a teflon coated fabric (that's the point), so it might not be the fault of the interfacing. Good luck.

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/17/13 9:05 AM

I learned the hard way to store water soluble interfacing/stabilizer in ziplock bags. Apparently that stuff can't tolerate any humidity at all!

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<

Date: 9/17/13 9:36 AM

I totally agree...I think you get what you pay for with interfacing. I have not had an interfacing issue since I quit buying the cheap stuff at JoAnn's.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 9/17/13 11:39 AM

There is a point, with too much heat and pressure it won't fuse and stick. And cannot even be re-fused down. At that point though (really over cooked) I think you are getting strike back and over fuse, and sometimes even the fusible applied to it, coming to the right top side of the fabric and being slick and shiny there. Sounds like that did not happen to you though, as I think to even get it to do that, it probably would have melted your shiny polyester fabric first.

I don't keep mine in sealed up bags, and never have it expire even if for years and years, but most times in drawer or such and not exposed to more direct sunlight all the time from a sunny window. I think you just got some bad stuff actually. Particular as you tried it also on just plain cotton, and it won't even fuse there either.

bakertoo
star
bakertoo
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 12/26/08
Send Message

Date: 9/17/13 12:10 PM

I have also heard that storing it on tubes, rather than keeping it folded is a good idea. Then you don't have fold lines in awkward places when you go to use it, since you can't iron out the folds! I have seen rolls stored on a thing that kind of resembles a shoe bag concept, or a hanging jewelry style storage system. I want to make something like this to store mine on, but in the mean time I try to get the cardboard fabric bolts from my fabric store. They always seem happy to give them up. Even the women at Joann's will give them to me now!

Brine
star
Brine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 11/21/04
Send Message

Date: 9/17/13 3:08 PM

For those of you who are concerned about wrinkles, etc. in interfacing that has been stored, Pam Erny has a tutorial with a remedy. https://www.fashionsewingsupply.com/tutorials/TUTORIAL-%20How%20To%20Rescue%20Wrinkled%20Interfacing!.pdf

------
Brine

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 9/17/13 4:01 PM

I bought some dud interfacing once, nice mid-weight grey armoweft style. It barely fused AT ALL and in a patchy fashion. I had to pull off what I could and then re-fuse new stuff.

I've bought the same type before and after from the same vendor, with no issue.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 9/17/13 4:28 PM

Quote: beauturbo
There is a point, with too much heat and pressure it won't fuse and stick. And cannot even be re-fused down. At that point though (really over cooked) I think you are getting strike back and over fuse, and sometimes even the fusible applied to it, coming to the right top side of the fabric and being slick and shiny there.

Since it doesn't stay fused to the OP's cotton for long, I was thinking what you said (in quote above). The glue over-melted and dissipated.

"Strike back" can be caused by those silver teflon-ey ironing board covers, too. I've heard many teachers caution against trying to fuse anything on boards covered with those.

Then there is Texture-Weft and all its clones. I have a devil of a time getting it to fuse properly when following the heat setting suggestion.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Fusible Interfacing - Proper Storage? Expiry Date?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

New Look 6000

photo
by: style insp...

Review

Pattern

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 1880

photo
by: VintageBlu...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.