SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Computers AARGH!!! > new dell computer with win7 pro ( Moderated by Pyrose, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
new dell computer with win7 pro
what are some free softwares
mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 9/16/13 10:04 PM

My new win 7 desktop has nothing to open a pdf and probably little else in the way of software. I have put antivirus on it and embird (machine embroidery software) . Any suggestions of what programs I might need that can be downloaded free. Any program I should just buy. I have winzip that I purchased but haven't installed yet. I am fairly lost still with win 7 as I have been using XP. Any advice I would appreciate as I am on my own and definitely know very little about what's free and what you buy in these things. I guess I will need something to handle pictures also. Input welcome. Thanks for any advice on this stuff.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 9/16/13 10:31 PM

You won't need WinZip as you will have unzip as a feature of the Win7. Macs and WIn machines both do that now without any other program.

I like this one for pictures and any graphic work and it is great and it is free for home use, and has almost the functionality of a Photoshop!:

FastStone Image Viewer
-- Edited on 9/16/13 10:33 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 9/16/13 10:54 PM

You can download Adobe Reader for free on adobe.com to open PDFs.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 9/17/13 8:20 AM

lelliebunny thanks I got the pdf download.
Mufffet thanks I will get the photo one too.
I am so lost. I knew how to do all sorts of stuff in win XP and can't even figure out how to do my documents and sort them in win 7. This is going better than I thought as far as surfing around but I am hitting my head on the key board -why do they have to change up everything. I had my XP files just great,photos organized and my machine embroidery files were easy to work with. On this one they have mozilla as the browser to use, haven't got the bookmark thing mastered like my old favorites. I would like to rant but it's useless so I will muddle on. I was on daughter's computer with win 8 to download antivirus and embird program to usb and that was more insanity. She says it is always a mess. Hope I get all this worked out soon. I have a disc for office starter edition which I don't know if I should put in. Argg! Thanks for all the help.

crankyoldlady
crankyoldlady
Intermediate
Member since 11/14/08
Send Message

Date: 9/17/13 9:37 PM

After years with XP, I, too, am struggling with 7. I finally found a small program which makes it possible to view 7 as "classic" windows. My 7 now looks more like XP making the transition easier.

You can find it here...
http://www.classicshell.net/faq/

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to crankyoldlady <<

Date: 9/18/13 6:30 AM

I am going to read on this site. Thanks for posting this link. I would like to learn to use the updated version if I can before I throw in the towel. Since I am so tech deficient I thought I should at least try to master a newer version. If I had any idea I would be this lost, I would have made the leap to an imac. The ipad hasn't been nearly the struggle of this mess.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 9/18/13 6:32 AM

Mufffet I am thrilled with the Fast Stone download. All I really needed was a good viewer and this is great.

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 9/18/13 3:48 PM

I feel your pain!!! New laptop at Christmas and I jumped from XP which I loved to that horrible Window 8!!! Took it to a computer place and MADE them take it off and load Win 7 :-) Better than nothing.

Win 7 also has a photo viewer built in - I LOVE Paint Shop Pro and need to buy the newer version to work, but Win 7 has a photo viewer where you can do simple editing (that's the good news).

WHY they got to keep mucking with what we all liked *sigh* I'm too old to keep up with this - Detested Windows 8 no matter how they tried to make it "look" like XP or Win 7!

You'll get there, good luck!

Debbie

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 9/18/13 4:19 PM

You can actually make Win7 look like your preferred look with your Windows references. Instead of trying to give you any info on either 7 or 8 (which isn't evil BTW) the first thing you should do is buy whichever version of "The Missing Manual" or "Dummies Guide to...." that is for your particular OS version, or buy both. The investment is well worth it!

I have them for our WIN machines and my Mac. You can then root around in the books and find out a lot of really good stuff. I use these titles a lot, and even really prefer the Dummies Guides most of the time, although the Missing Manual series is sometimes more intense so I like it a lot.

Believe me, Windows 8 isn't all that bad or hard to learn or even different. You can get rid of the blocks of color by clicking DESKTOP and only using your programs through the desktop, but really - do get a book and learn to use the OS you have without looking back. I mean we all have to learn a lot of things from time to time, and believe me the newer OSes from both Microsoft and Mac are interesting and have some pluses to make up for what we may perceive to be minuses. And they are more secure.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 9/18/13 4:50 PM

I think the dummies book is what I need;had the one for XP and it helped me get going. I did update thinking the later windows would be more secure and I am finding a few things I like just poking around. I will look for the dummies book. I have been able to install what I need and surf,etc just haven't figured out all the file folder system methods in the new interface. I was just so comfortable with putting my machine embroidery designs in folders in my documents and it is frustrating when I download a file to just get the option save not save as and where to choose and also to me it being harder to put files into folders. I would have done win 8 but have a nice large monitor (not touch screen) I wanted to use and some of my embroidery programs will still work in win 7 so I quit thinking about upgrading and researching and just bought one. I really appreciate your advice and help. I enjoy my computer and using the machine embroidery software side of it but I struggle with some of it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Computers AARGH!!! >> new dell computer with win7 pro

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

McCall's m4769

photo
by: Alinka.thi...

Review
The Whimsy Bag

The Whimsy Bag

Buy Now
10 inch Professional Shears

10 inch Professional Shears

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.