SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > New Colette pattern - Zinnia skirt ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New Colette pattern - Zinnia skirt
What do you think?
retrotechgeneva
star
retrotechgeneva
Advanced Beginner
SWITZERLAND
Member since 4/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 9/17/13 3:29 PM

Here is the announcement on their website. Colette Zinnia

I think I'm a tad disappointed by this one - it seems so simple and hardly worth a $16 pattern. But I suppose this is how I know I'm no longer a beginner - that this seems so obvious. If I was just starting to sew, I would probably be intrigued...

Still, I am always inspired by Colette's fabric and styling choices, and this is no different - I'm usually partial to side seam pockets, but these patch versions are pretty cute.

In the comments to that post, someone mentioned (her comment has since been deleted) that the Version 1 skirt can easily be created using the free picnic blanket skirt tutorial from Tilly & the Buttons. Picnic Blanket Skirt

I'd also add that a lovely gathered skirt can be created from Gertie's great (free) tutorial, which I have used before and can recommend.
Gertie's Gathered Skirt

The stitched-down pleats in Version 2 also remind me of Deer & Doe's Chardon skirt pattern... it's a lovely detail I look forward to trying one of these days.
Chardon

Vandoels
Vandoels
Advanced Beginner
IL
Member since 7/27/13
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/17/13 3:45 PM

The "z" skirt is not worth $16! That's crazy!

aliesje
star
aliesje
Advanced Beginner
CANADA
Member since 3/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 9/17/13 4:20 PM

yeah, I'm definitely underwhelmed, again. The chiffon version is cute, but the others are pretty matronly, imho.

I loved Colette when I was first learning to sew 3 years ago (not long after they started!), when their offerings were really original, and mainly in the intermediate category. Now, I feel like the disgruntled PC user/android person who disapproves of Apple fanboys who loooove what Apple releases, no matter what.
(self-disclosure: i'm totally an apple user.)
-- Edited on 9/17/13 5:58 PM --

ScaryMerry
star
ScaryMerry
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 9/12/12
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 9/17/13 4:59 PM

Yes, you could probably create it for free, but imo it's worth paying the money to not have to do all that extra work. I'm intermediate/advanced, but if I spent all my time working on challenging projects, I would probably hate sewing and not have nearly enough me-made stuff to wear. I'm in the process of creating my fall wardrobe (I have hardly any fall me-made clothes) and this is a perfect pattern for the various separates that I'm wanting to make. I've found that the more expensive indie patterns that I buy fit me better and get more wear and remakes than the cheaper Big 4 (I always buy those when they're on sale for a dollar or two).

And it's kind of silly, the "why so many beginner patterns?" complaint. I hear it every time Colette releases a beginner pattern, but look at their line-up: Before Zinnia, there was Hawthorn (intermediate), the Laurel (beginner), and then Anise (intermediate/advanced) and Juniper (beginner/intermediate). That looks like plenty of variation to me.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
TX
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/17/13 5:13 PM

I agree that I'm disappointed.

But mostly because I look horrid in that style. No one with a bit of pouf in the tummy looks good in that. If it had a yoke, maybe. The sewn down pleats are marginal. Now if the gathers didn't start until 2 or 3" out from the button placket.... But I'm not much of a button skirt person anymore.

Their other skirts have been more fitted at the waist/hip, so it makes sense in their catalog. Also they already have lots of dresses and blouses, so again, it makes sense in their catalog. And it fits their modern-vintage vibe perfectly. Skirts like this have been around at some point in every decade since hems were above the knee. Add to that what ScaryMerry said about skill level, it makes sense.

I think that kind of price is hard to swallow for any beginner pattern - unless it has a huge amount of creativity in it (like their Crepe dress).

jenniferisnice
jenniferisnice
Advanced Beginner
GA USA
Member since 1/10/13
Send Message

In reply to retrotechgeneva <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/17/13 5:28 PM

I, too, am a bit underwhelmed. While I understand Colette wanting to offer beginner patterns, and it's great to reach out to beginners, they're just charging $16 and up for patterns you can either find for free online or buy for $4 or $5 from New Look. I have a great shift dress pattern from New Look that easily rivals the Laurel, and as someone else pointed out you can use the Tilly and the Buttons free picnic skirt tutorial to replicate the Zinnia. If they had done any research, they would have noticed that.

Having said all of that, I do really like Colette patterns. But I kind of feel like they have become lazy on the last few outings. I expect a little more from an indie pattern company. If they're going to offer beginner patterns, create something I can't go get for free online or for $4 at Jo-Ann's.

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/17/13 6:21 PM

Not my style, but I can see some advantages over the Big-4 patterns. It has instructions for gathers, for pleats, for button-up, for pockets, for belt loops, for a lined sheer ...

I wish they had showed the button-up skirt in a different fabric and with a different top (maybe one that compliments it?). I think it would look more appealing.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

In reply to AnneM <<

Date: 9/17/13 6:52 PM

Quote: AnneM
Not my style, but I can see some advantages over the Big-4 patterns. It has instructions for gathers, for pleats, for button-up, for pockets, for belt loops, for a lined sheer ...

I wish they had showed the button-up skirt in a different fabric and with a different top (maybe one that compliments it?). I think it would look more appealing.

I agree with Anne; I think it's a pretty versatile pattern--and it's a good basic separate or "cake" pattern vs. "frosting".

I ordered it just to get the instructions for working with/lining the sheer version. I've had several RTW skirts like the lined sheer view over the years, but even though I consider myself "intermediate", I've had a fear of sheers/drafting my own lining. And, as a toddler mom, a fuller skirt like this is a lot more practical for me than a pencil skirt right now. I also love the idea of a view that I can whip up in an afternoon.

I think this one could turn out like the Laurel, where it didn't seem all that exciting at first, but then people turned out lots and lots of cute variations where you could see the pattern's potential.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

SecondHandRogue
star
SecondHandRogue  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
RI USA
Member since 12/28/05
Send Message

Date: 9/17/13 7:13 PM

I ordered it already. I'm not an advanced sewer, so paying extra for something that is well drafted with great instructions is worth the extra $$. I'll probably skip the gathered waist, but looking forward to v.2-3.

I might add that one Colette skirt and one Jalie pattern equal just over $25 for FoPR members, and free shipping on both;)

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 9/17/13 9:31 PM

The new Zinnia skirt has a curved hemline and angled side seams while the free tutorials have a straight hemline and probably straight side seams.

Having the curved hemline is a nice touch. It makes a cuter skirt with less fullness at the waist. Still, $16 feels expensive to me for "just" a skirt. But I think the pricing is typical of Colette patterns. Unfortunately I don't think the drafting is superb in the pattern line, mostly good enough, but not top notch with virtually no issues which is what I wish for when I pay such a price for an independent designer pattern. At least there is a price break if you print it yourself.

There are lots of positives with the Colette line, sorry to sound so negative. The joy and fun of sewing is infectious, the styles are fresh, and the instructions are written by a real person who cares.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> New Colette pattern - Zinnia skirt

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 3515

photo
by: HOWsMom

Review
Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Buy Now
Chelsea

Chelsea

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.