SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Pfaff Pfans - lovers of Pfantastic Pfaffs ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pfaff Pfans - lovers of Pfantastic Pfaffs
Talk about any model of Pfaff here....
Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 9/20/13 11:05 PM

Starting this thread with my elegant classic 1222E which has served me well now for 35+ years.

I couldn't find a topic that would encompass all our Pfaffs of any age, any line any model....old, new, TOL, bottom line, fun fantastic Pfaffs....

Now to the newest (to me) Pfaff I have, and it's a bottom line Pfaff Hobby 307, made in Taiwan, early 90s, when Pfaff was still owned and operated out of Germany. Terrific machine, and a real find. This one is another thrift store discovery and I think hits the jackpot. Price - 50% off sale for 45 dollars. When I got my hands on it at home, I found it to be pristine. Even had a lovely almost untouched manual. It had only been in the shop 4 days when my hubby snatched it up for me.

This is a mechanical machine with only 7 stitches and a 4 step button hole. It is solid, and heavy due to lots of metal in the build. Transitional - some plastic in the outer housing, but heavy metal on the bottom and the frame. It does FMQ right "out of the box" without any issues, and I am going to try it on my quilt I am trying to get finished in the next couple weeks. O.K...it does not have a long harp of course, just the regular machine harp - 7" harp.

I hardly had to clean this one up at all, and this one is special and joins my present Pfaff crew of my 1222E and the 1199. I cannot get enough of these Pfaffs from a previous era. Not all that old, so not vintage, but old enough so we ask: "Is this called vintage?" How old do you have to be before you are vintage?

So, people, come on over and talk about your Pfaffs. You know you have 'em.
-- Edited on 3/3/14 12:58 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 9/21/13 0:18 AM

My (our) 1229 can do anything! And it does it all fantastically well.

This is a repeat story. My three guys, hubbie and two sons, voted to buy 'our' Pfaff when my Montgomery Wards machine wasn't cutting it for making little Izod knit shirts. This was back when the patterns even included the embroidery pattern and instructions for the Izod logo. The vote was to skip one of our much anticipated camping vacations and to use the money towards the Pfaff.

I located a backup 1229 which I shared last year with the nicest cousin a person could have. She wanted to start sewing for her granddaughter.

I replaced the backup with a 1222E that is eagerly awaiting it's turn to be cleaned up and cleaned out, lubricated and trialed. I hope it has that same beautiful stitch by stitch precision as the 1229.

Beautiful working pieces of art. I do have two other branded machines - great machines - but my 1229 has me totally spoiled and has set a high bar for anticipated machine performance.

Everything works on the 1229 just like the first day I sewed on it. That includes the bobbin sensor and the needle threader. Imagine my surprise to find out that there are new machines without bobbin sensors. Sure, I route the thread and push the lever down on the needle threader. But, it has worked every single time for thirty years. Certainly not the highlights of this machine, just examples of what a great machine it is.

I so wish they would reissue the 1229 and/or the 1222/1222E; update the lighting and leave absolutely everything else alone. That includes the lovely compact free arm with the perfectly smooth finish that has never snagged the finest of fabrics.

It's been a great partnership.

-- Edited on 9/21/13 0:29 AM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 9/21/13 0:38 AM

I have my mothers Pfaff 130 that was born sometime around 1950. She bought it from a dealer who had an offer. She had to make so many aprons per week and that paid for the machine. Not long after the dealer 'sold' a ton of the machines, he reneged on the deal. She had to pay for the machine. I think it cost $150. Outrageous amount of money then. She some how paid it off and kept it. The machine was strong and steady. I learned to sew on it and used to daydream of a machine that would be perfect.

It sat in the garage on a shelf for 20 years. Sad right? I felt guilty every time I walked passed it. My fancy dan Viking never worked very well and finally the cam housing cracked.

I brought the old Pfaff back in the house, plugged it in and vroom, off it sewed. It needs some refurbishing and I'd love to fix it up as it is a strong machine. It weighs a ton though.

Now I have a Pfaff CS and love it! It is a miracle machine (except for the threader). I sew on it as much as possible. I wish my mother could see it and what it can do.

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

thumbsup 11 members like this.

Date: 9/21/13 1:12 AM

Count me in on the fun! I have a Creative Performance, an Expression 2034, and a Creative 7510 (that came from the loving home of an amazing PR person). On top of that, I have Pfaff toy machine from the 1950s (or so I am told). :D

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to lelliebunny <<

Date: 9/21/13 4:35 AM

What a gorgeous pic!!! They all look so happy together. and a for the baby (toy).

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Capella
star
Capella
Advanced Beginner
Kansas USA
Member since 6/25/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/21/13 7:09 AM

What a timely topic! I am so excited to be getting my mother-in-laws 7540, It's branded "Sewing with Nancy" or something. Plus I'm getting the embroidery bed, some creative cards and every thing that is in her two sewing rooms. (tons of thread and serger thread and every kind of googit in the world) I'm picking it up tomorrow. I remember when she bought it brand new and also bought a beautiful cabinet with lots of drawers and a top that extends out on both ends making it 100 inches. Now I hate it that she feels she won't touch her hobby again (she's very ill) but I literally cried when she offered it to me. Only her and I sew. It was always "our thing" to do together.

------
Pfaff 7570
Singer 9960
Singer HD4411
White 1934D

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/21/13 11:15 AM

It's so neat to see all these lovely machines!

Lelliebun I LOVE! that little red one!!! WHERE did you find it??

I have 2 Creatives, Princess my Creative 4, who is 3 years old now,

and Tyrian my Creative Performance, who is 5 months old.

Then I have Thomas the Traveler, my little Passport:

and I also have a serger, STILL can't remember which one after 6 (?) years! That thing isn't just a work horse, he is a Draft horse, he has worked so hard for me. No pictures, poor thing is so underappreciated.

------
Cathryn

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/21/13 11:24 AM

All the pictures are so great to see!

Capella, that 7540 will always be special for you. Having my DMILs 1199 is a great memory for me as well. She sewed as a business every single day and the machine is still in good shape.I did get it serviced and had to replace one little gear and for some reason the family lost the foot pedal after she passed away so I waited quite awhile to find another foot pedal, but ebay finally had one for me.

LOVE the pictures of everyone's machines...keep 'em coming!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/21/13 11:43 AM

Now, Mufffet, where's a pic of your beeeeeauuutiful 1222? Because it's really not right at all to open the thread with a pic of a Pfaff Hobby model, and not even show the 1222, which may well be the most beautiful sewing machine ever.

Even though I recently rehomed a Pfaff because I made peace with the fact that I'm hopelessly addicted to the knee lift (and hate the presser foot lifter inside the harp), I can't get over the 1222.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/21/13 12:06 PM

Nice-looking bunch of Pfaffs! I've owned a multitude over the years, re-homed my bought-in-Germany 7570 awhile ago, and currently have a Classic Fashion 2023 and of course Panzy the PCP.

I'll get a photo of Rupert (2023) taken and posted in the near future. He's a 6.5mm machine, very basic, 12 stitches or so, but an absolute gem of a stitcher, beautiful quality straight stitch, and a real expert in sewing knit fabrics.

Panzy (yes, he's a boy; full name is "Panzer" coz he's built like a tank, and goes over just about anything. ) is handsome and simply pfantabulous.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Pfaff Pfans - lovers of Pfantastic Pfaffs

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Sheer Black

PerfectFuse Sheer Black

Buy Now
Burda 7742

photo
by: Heatherriq...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.