SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Fave sweater/cardi patterns? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fave sweater/cardi patterns?
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 9/21/13 8:31 AM

It's getting cooler, better start sewing them!
Are the swing cardis going to go out of style?
Some patterns pix look so voluminous, others with too much in the collar. Which are turning out perfect?

I like the look of the old basic cardigan over a T, but
they are hard to find in the stores, fabric thinner, ribbing low quality, length of waist and sleeves shorter.

Where/when do Hot Patterns go on sale?

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/21/13 8:35 AM

Style Arc has a couple of timeless cardi patterns.
I think the swing style and the trapeze hems will look out-of-date before we know it.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 9/21/13 8:45 AM

Although this pattern is designed for wovens, it's so simple that it also works for knits. The collar is cut with the body, but I've successfully cut and attached a contrast collar, too. And pockets can be added, as well. Oh - and it can be lengthened. Probably not what the designer had in mind, but it's a very handy pattern to start with. The simplicity of it means that the fabric does all the design work. Drapey fabric is better, particlularly for longer versions of the jacket.

A Little Something Jacket

Edit: I even used it to make a sequinned mother-of-the-bride jacket to wear over a knit tank dress.
click here

-- Edited on 9/21/13 8:58 AM --
-- Edited on 9/21/13 9:05 AM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

Date: 9/21/13 9:49 AM

I have, but have not sewn yet, this pattern from Pamela's Patterns. I don't care for the voluminous fabric in many of the cardi patterns and this looks more slimming and doable for me.

Karla, thanks for reminding me about the little something jacket. I saw that pattern in Nancy's Notions catalog. I made a mental note to order it but now I'll write it down as mental notes don't seem to work lately
-- Edited on 9/21/13 9:52 AM --

Marie367
Marie367
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 9/21/13 10:10 AM

I like New Look 6735. 6735
I have made it out of stretchy lycra knit and out of ponte knit. The ponte knit took some adjusting as the pattern is made for something stretchier. It goes together really easily. I want to make another or two for this fall/winter. At my age I prefer cardis to pullovers.
I know Kwik Sew has several basic cardis but I haven't made them.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 9/21/13 11:54 AM

I have recently made 2 StyleArc cardis. Both are more fitted than a basic RTW cardi and I recommend either one if you want something timeless with a little shaping.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/21/13 11:58 AM

Style Arc.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Campbell
star
Campbell
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 12/11/03
Send Message

In reply to Rhoda K <<

Date: 9/21/13 2:19 PM

I have sewn this pattern from Pamela's patterns. It was easy, fit well, excellent instructions.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<

Date: 9/21/13 2:52 PM

Looks rather boxy and wide sleeves in photo? I like the idea of the collar all in one. Is it more drapey/fitted in a knit, which I have 2-3 of to sew up?

Marie,
I like the idea of the button cardi, even if never closed.
What do they use or did you change for the buttonholes,
which I usually fight with in knits? Thanks!
-- Edited on 9/21/13 2:55 PM --

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

In reply to Campbell <<

Date: 9/21/13 3:29 PM

Thanks, good to know. I hope to get started this week. It's nice that she refers to the instructions she has posted on YouTube, if needed.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Fave sweater/cardi patterns?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Simplicity 4877

photo
by: lovenicky

Review
New Look 6962

photo
by: Madcap

Review
Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Snappy Wrap Pattern

SewBaby Snappy Wrap Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.