SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > good introduction to fitting? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
good introduction to fitting?
stillclock
stillclock
Member since 2/9/11
Send Message

Date: 9/21/13 12:29 PM

hi :)

i find myself completely overwhelmed by trying to learn about fitting. the jump between beginner sewing and expert level fitting seems to be a one step leap.

what i need to understand is the theory behind how garments are supposed to fit and then an introduction to the how to, sort of step by step if possible.

have any of you got some great books on your shelves you could recommend? i can't make it to the local college's fashion courses, but i could take an online course. i'd much prefer to invest in a couple of good books though, for the ongoing reference part of the whole schmozzle.

thanks so much!

aileen

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to stillclock <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/21/13 8:49 PM

I have found that the Singer Sewing Series (especially Making Pants that Fit) have been especially instrumental in my learning process. Because of the excellent photos on people with real problems I have been able to address my pants fitting issues especially.

Your question is one that has besotted of many sewists here. Maybe you can do a search under the Fitting section on this board to find out just what books/programs, etc. all of us are into.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

BMoyer
star
BMoyer  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
OH USA
Member since 10/10/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/22/13 6:05 AM

Peggy Sagers has a bunch of free webcasts up on Silhouette patterns site that give some common sense for fitting. I have read a lot of books and looked at a lot of pictures but for me her videos sort of pull it into perspective. It might help some for you.
here is a link if you'd like to look into it...

(not affiliated in any way. but I have learned alot from these)

http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/html/media/livestreamchannel/index_replays.htm

grey ann
star
grey ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

Date: 9/22/13 8:25 AM

I like Sarah Veblen's classes on PR and her book, Complete Photo Guide to Fitting. It may seem a little much for a begiinner, but give it a try. She tells you how to read the pull lines on your muslin, how to make the adjustments on your muslin, AND - here's where this book excels - how to transfer what you did to the muslin back to the paper.

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 9/22/13 8:37 AM

Frustration with fitting garments accounts for why many of my sewing friends prefer to quilt. Books, especially those with photos, and online tutorials and classes help immensely. I too find Sarah Veblen's book and Sagers' free videos quite helpful. Live, in-person classes can be great. Try to attend a sewing expo/conference for access to sessions focusing on fitting. One of the greatest (and often hardest to find) "tools" is a sewing buddy. This one is tough when surrounded by quilters!

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

Doctor Sister

Doctor Sister  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MN USA
Member since 11/5/06
Send Message

Date: 9/22/13 9:05 AM

I started with Nancy Zieman's fitting video's which were shown on my PBS channel back when I was starting. Not sure if they are still around. But her pivot and slide was easier for me to understand that all this slashing of patterns.
Also, I'd recommend starting with things that don't require a lot of fit. A style that is loose and not a sheath dress with tons of darts and a waist. there are easier patterns. I started with knit tunics and skirts (non-pencil). Only having to make a few alterations is easier at the beginning.
Sis.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to stillclock <<

Date: 9/22/13 10:25 AM

THere are lots of links on here under "Knowledge Base" It might be a place to start for more info too.
No matter what fitting books you use, you might find that your body doesn't want to fit the standard or the standard alteration for fit. Part of fitting is knowing where you need more fabric and where you need less. It can be trial and error. People on here are great about helping too. I like the Singer Pants fitting book and lots of people like the Fitting for Real People series too. Awhile back someone mentioned some of the textbooks used in classes-they are a bit pricey though.

lca
star
lca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 6/4/07
Send Message

Date: 9/23/13 3:53 PM

Lynda Maynard has a great fitting class on craftsy. It's called "The Perfect Fit." She has real life models with different body shapes.

Aixoise
star
Aixoise  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 7/6/04
Send Message

Date: 9/23/13 5:26 PM

Don't forget Fit for Real People and Pants for Real People - otherwise known as FFRP and PFRP. These 2 books got me started years ago; I still refer to them almost every time I'm fitting a new pattern or have a question about what to tweak to get the fit I want. Lots of illustrations - both drawings and photos - and models who look like "real people" (not runway models).

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 9/23/13 8:55 PM

I'm taking Kathleen Cheatham's Adjust the Bust class on Craftsy. Between PR's calss offerings on fitting and what Craftsy has, there is a lot available. Also, FFRP and PFRP round out the basic resources. I am also a fan of the Singer series books. All of them!

Edited to add: Never pay full price for fitting books. There are always used books available from any of the online booksellers and the shipping is often more than the book itself.
-- Edited on 9/23/13 8:56 PM --

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> good introduction to fitting?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 1

photo
by: monkemama

Review
New Look 6731

photo
by: halleyscom...

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.