SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > I think I might cry... ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I think I might cry...
I may need help with a new machine
Kalisews
Kalisews
Member since 2/8/13
online now
Send Message

Date: 9/23/13 4:20 PM

This is partly a cry with me story (at least some of you will understand how I feel) and partly asking advice.

So last Christmas I had my husband buy me a new to me vintage Viking 6460. I have always sewn on vintage machines. Mostly because when I learned to sew, I couldn't afford more than a $25 mechanical vintage model from my local thrift shop that someone got rid of. When that went up, if I couldn't fix it myself, I found another "great deal" and moved on. When it came time to buy a more expensive machine every one I looked at to me seemed plasticy and light weight, so I wanted to stick vintage.

He bought me a gorgeous red one, I brought it to a local Viking expert to have the interior gone through, the old oil pulled out and new teflon oil added so it wouldn't gunk up and freeze (as was the one major draw back to this model). What I thought I had after all this was a very nice, rebuilt, vintage, heavy duty machine with tons of power. Low gear to get through my tough sewing (and I do like to sew some heavy fabrics), small free arm for my kids clothes, even decorative stitches (which I had never had to this point).

That was Jan. On Friday I was sewing along happily when I picked my foot up off the pedal, but the machine didn't stop... it just kept on sewing......then the smoke started pouring out the top... then the horrible electrical fire smell It was so bad, I had to get the kids out of the house for a little while and open all the doors and windows to air it out.

I brought it back to my Viking expert today and am awaiting the estimate, if it can even be fixed. What I need advice on is whether it is worth it and at what price. I already have $400 or so into this machine. Should I give up on my vintage love? (I really, really, really still love this machine)

The sales woman did show me other machines today, but I feel like I would be back at square one choosing. She also showed me very interesting used models in my price range, a Pfaff 1472 and a Viking #1, but as I thought about it on the way home, I realized I would be replacing a mechanical vintage machine with a used digital machine. I don't think I want to do that either.

So, I don't really want to spend more than $500, considering I just bought this machine, this is kind of a stretch. Can I get a new machine that can deal with heavy fabric, mostly upholstery weight? I am an all over the board kind of sewer, so I want a machine that can handle whatever I can throw at it. I do quilt, so not a tiny space, I am right now working on sheers for my bathroom (that is what was in the machine when it went runaway train on me).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Kalisews <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/23/13 4:46 PM

I don't have any advice, but I must say that had to be awfully scary I know some of the Viking users will come up with the help you need to make your decision. I'm sorry to hear that your pretty red machine is having problems.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 9/23/13 4:51 PM

I really liked the Viking #1. It is a nice machine and I spent many happy years sewing with it.
Lots of feet that to the job they are designed for.

------
Ada

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Kalisews <<

Date: 9/23/13 5:02 PM

Oh my that must have been terribly frightening! ....
One of my sm kept overheating & increasingly got worse ... I sent to repair shop & unfortunately the estimate about $300 for new wiring & probably also needed motor. It did not smoke just kept turning itself off & got hot faster each time I used it. ............ If it needs wiring it is going to be a bit expensive maybe depending on what is needed. .......... if you really love it & can afford to fix it then that is what I would do. ....................... in my case I could not afford to fix it as it cost twice as much to fix it as I bought it for. .......................
I am so sorry this happened.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

idahodogs
star
idahodogs
Advanced Beginner
Idaho USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 9/23/13 6:02 PM

Personally I would put the $$ into getting a new motor/wiring/whatever instead of a new machine, if that's possible. The knowledge and habits you have with your machine are priceless.

Maybe I'm just a stick-in-th-mud, but I HATE having to get a new anything - car, washer, iron - it always seems like the new ones are plastic-y and, well, different!

ETA - also I refuse to use any machine that could be destroyed by a magnet. Investing in fixing a mechanical machine seems a lot safer than something with motherboard.
-- Edited on 9/23/13 6:03 PM --

anna53
anna53
Advanced
SWITZERLAND
Member since 12/11/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/23/13 6:25 PM

Hello Kalindi1121

Keep the 6440...and repair it!...I know the 6000 series also inside...I restaured more than 25 of this serie...from 60xx to 64xx...
This failure you described and the 'electrical smell' is not a great desaster...mostly it's only the capacitor in the footcontroller or the one near the motor...has a shortcut and motor is running all time, because the rheostat is bridged. This capacitor can be changed very easy!...and is cheap...maybe your husband or a friend can change it himself...capacitor is < 1$ in the local electronic-parts-store...
...the motor seems ok...it's actually running at fullspeed

Regards from Switzerland
Stefan
-- Edited on 9/23/13 6:33 PM --
-- Edited on 9/23/13 6:35 PM --

cruzer2013
cruzer2013
Intermediate
Member since 8/11/13
Send Message

In reply to Kalisews <<

Date: 9/23/13 6:34 PM

Could I pm you? I might be able to help you with this.

Michele Lommasson
star
Michele Lommasson  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 9/23/13 6:40 PM

What do I know? I'm not in your shoes. That said, if I were, I most likely would try to get it going again. (After all, it is red!)
It sounds like you already did research concerning the foibles of that particular model. If you haven't, check it out and find out if it's a machine which deserves fixing.
If so, definitely go for it. You love vintage machines. You've been sewing on its since January, and you seem to like it.
I love my computerized machines, but I also adore my mechanicals. If something happened to one of my old machines, I'd definitely get it fixed.
Here's the thing: I think it's time you had a back-up machine, mechanical or otherwise. Elderly machines sometimes develop issues, and have to go into the shop. New machines sometimes have issues and have to go into the shop. It would be sad for you not to have a machine to sew on.

------
Michele Lommasson

ajoseph
ajoseph  Friend of PR
Member since 10/10/12
Send Message

In reply to Kalisews <<

Date: 9/23/13 7:17 PM

only you can really decide. if you are so in love with the older mechanicals.........i'd stick with them. "smoke pouring out of the top".....of the machine? was the foot pedal at fault or the machine? if the pedal was at fault.....it may pay to keep the machine. maybe the motor? still may be worth keeping? what was the first $400.00 for? repairs?

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 9/23/13 8:06 PM

Im hapoy to see some people with know-how think it is worth a fix.

I would have wanted to fix it, too. But, I know nothing about machines and have to rely on the nice people here to help be try to have a few ideas before trusting shops.

------
Quilting up a storm!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> I think I might cry...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

New Look 6569

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Simplicity 9107

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Buy Now
10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.