SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 800 series (The 'New' Ones) - Satisfied? Dissatisfied? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 800 series (The 'New' Ones) - Satisfied? Dissatisfied?
Informal Poll on Bernina 820 830 880
a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 9/27/13 9:12 PM

I am curious about actual owner experiences.

If you own, or have owned, a Bernina 800 series would you like to briefly share your experience. Positive or negative.

I am hoping that posters might include comments such as,

Had problem(s) with machine
Problems resolved
Problems ongoing
Gave up
No problems
No problems but just didn't care for the machine
Problems but worth the hassle
Like the machine a lot

Another group of comments, if you care to add them, might be on dealer support and education.

You get the idea. Please note if you are an actual 800 series owner or previous owner.

Or note if you have/have had access to an 800 series machine on a regular basis. If you have regularly used an 800 machine but have not been the owner, please include any pertinent comments about machine maintenance.

This is purely curiosity on my part. I'm not active on any other sewing/crafting sites and not employed by anyone that might benefit one way or the other. Not asking for reviews, just a very quick assessment from anyone who cares to share.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: Bernina 800 series (The New Ones) - Satisfied? Dissatisfied? Date: 9/27/13 9:30 PM

Bought my 820 QE new in mid 2011. No problems whatsoever. Highly satisfied.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/27/13 9:44 PM

Purchased 830 late spring, 2011. No machine problems at all. User error three times quickly corrected by checking the manual. Yes, I am the one that admitted to inserting the bobbin in backwards.

Very knowledgable and supportive dealer. Recently took an advanced care class put together by the dealer.

Very satisfied.
-- Edited on 9/27/13 9:45 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/27/13 9:52 PM

I bought my 830LE in August of 2011. It sews and embroiders like a dream. I have over 4,000,000 stitches on my machine. The only problem I've had is with the tassel stitch which would inconsistently get off track. My Bernina dealer replaced some parts in the embroidery unit. I've been extremely happy with my machine. My dealer offers great classes and support.

Edited to add that even though I've been very satisfied with the performance of my 830LE, it will find another home after my dealer cleans and services it. The 750QE with embroidery is calling my name -- a simpler, more straightforward machine with the new screen and B9 hook system.
-- Edited on 10/4/13 4:50 PM --

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7
Bernina DesignWorks

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 9/27/13 10:43 PM

I bought my dealer's floor model 820 in November 2012. This is an early 2010 manufactured model. Had it tuned it up after purchase by awesome tech in my home town. Now the Black is perfect. I love this machine - he is my favorite of all in the stable. No problems. I love the bobbin system, I love the threading, I love the performance. Cannot say enough good about this machine

------
Bernina 880, Bernina350SE,

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Nebraska USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

Date: 9/27/13 11:39 PM

I purchased a floor model of the 830, and waited until they had been out quite a while.
It does beautiful embroidery, but mainly I sew on it. It is my main SM, and I have several available.

Major likes-
-Lighting is great. All my other machines wear bright lights.
-Stitch is beautiful and very tight/secure. I like that until I have to pick it out.
-Dual feed foot. Probably my favorite feature.
-Big harp, plenty of room there.
-Embroidery gorgeous.

Minor dislikes-
-Not instantly on, have to wait a bit. Still much faster than the 730 I used to have.
-Cannot be hurried. Certain things must be done in certain order. Hard for quick and dirty sewer like myself to accept.
-I need not a only a clock, I need a buzzer. And someone else to run my kids to practices while I sew!

I have not replaced or fixed anything on it.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 9/28/13 9:49 AM

I bought the 830 the end of June 2011. It is my main sewing machine. I sew mainly clothing and do some quilting. I love my 830 and did not have a problem with the learning curve. I have been very satisfied with my extravagant purchase (yes, this is a luxury item for me).

I've had the needle threader assembly totally replaced, needle re-centered and the L print board replaced last June because off some odd occurrences which still happen now and then.

The recent updates Bernina has out for this machine have been full of glitches. I took them off and have the 31.29.41 version and have no issues. Unless Bernina can offer a glitch free update, I doubt I'll update mine.

My only concern is once it's out of warranty, will I be able to afford to fix it if it needs it. I have a feeling I may need to buy a new machine with my Bernina card if that happens. And it will not be another TOL since I won't spend that much money again on a sewing machine.

I have excellent dealer support. I received three years free services and great mastery classes.

-- Edited on 9/28/13 9:50 AM --

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

ajoseph
ajoseph  Friend of PR
Member since 10/10/12
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 9/28/13 11:51 AM

with all the stories of "bad" machine, my 830LE sat sealed in box for a year before i decided to take the classes offered and see for myself if i got a lemon or not. the first two classes went fine. nothing exciting(i took a HV Ruby survey, and was blown away by that). at the end of the 2nd class, the bobbin shot out and the silver thingy behind it, shot out with it. the instructor put it back in. at home, i discovered the tension was off. the decorative stitches were wonky. no amount of adjusting changed anything. i took the machine back to the dealer. got it back in 2 days. reading more "bad" experiences folks were having, i decided to sell the machine. as i was packing things up, just out of curiosity, i thought i should test the machine to see if the tension was indeed working properly. it was. i sat at the machine for at least two hours testing 99% of all the stitches and the buttonholes, all was well. i was very impressed with the
buttonholes. they were stitched in nothing flat. and accurate. i have more testing to do, but so far, my machine is no longer for sale. i tested the machine with black soft cotton fabric. white mettler poly in the bobbin. dark pink 100% coats & clark in the needle. all contrasting colors to better show if anything was wonky. decorative stitches came out perfect if stabilizer was used. not so much without.
i tested with single layer of fabric without stabilizer, then with. also stabilizer sandwiched in between the fabric, and without stabilizer. i used heavy and light stabilizer. both worked equally well. all went well. i have more testing to do, including the embroidery unit.
as i said, with all the "bad" stories about the 830, what influenced me the most was three Bernina dealers(not the one i purchased mine from) telling me to dump the machine asap or trade it in for a 780. but been hearing bad things about the 780/7 series. i'm thinking as long as my Bernina dealer can fix whatever might go wrong, as they did with the tension, i might as well stay with the machine. one of those dealers said some things that go wrong with the machine cannot be fixed. when my dealer tells me that, then i'll balk. i like the largeness of the machine. in the steady 2 hrs. i spent on the machine, so far, i'm liking it. i realize 2 hrs. is nothing, but liking is better then not.
i just did some more "testing". i wanted to secure the end of a seam. when i pressed the 'secure" button, the machine would stitch 3 or so stitches then secure. i wanted it to secure when i stopped stitching. after some more testing, i discovered, that pressing the 'secure" button, stops the stitching, secures the stitch and cuts both threads. i didn't read the entire manual, but i didn't find this in it when i searched for it. happy i found it. liking the machine more.
-- Edited on 9/28/13 1:02 PM --
-- Edited on 9/28/13 3:07 PM --
-- Edited on 9/29/13 1:57 AM --

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to ajoseph <<

Date: 9/28/13 12:10 PM

Oh my! I can't imagine leaving it sit in a box for a whole year!

Stitching on a single layer without stabilizer will not produce good stitches in any machine, imo. Keep testing, including the embroidery. It's still under warranty if anything should need fixed.

Glad you're keeping it!!!

PS.... I hope it's ok to post replies!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

Date: 9/28/13 12:26 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been looking at these machines for awhile as they have some features I'd love to own. I much prefer their appearance to the 7 series. However my local dealer isn't very supportive of the Bernina brand as they have not been well treated by them. Their tech isn't the hottest either, so I would have to wait until these are well clear of any finessing required of a tech before purchasing.

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 800 series (The 'New' Ones) - Satisfied? Dissatisfied?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Simplicity 2080

photo
by: MayenDesig...

Review
Other Patterns by Gertie

photo
by: Bex81

Review
SewBaby Poncho Pizazz Pattern

SewBaby  Poncho Pizazz Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby "I Can Do It" Cloth Activity Book Pattern

SewBaby

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.