SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernette Chicago 7 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernette Chicago 7
Just saw this, looks like a fun beginner combo machine
tkdnrun
tkdnrun
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/15/10
Send Message

Date: 9/28/13 11:24 AM

I went to our local round bobbin expo and saw this little cutie. I thought what a great starter or step up for both sewing and embroidery. It is listed at $1399, but they were selling it for $899. The hoop is bigger than 4x4 ( I think she said 4x6 or 7 was the size) and it takes USB. The 200 stitches were really diverse and I watched it sew and it did a fine job. Here it the link:
Bernette Chicago 7
Might be a good thing for an advanced beginner or one who wants to upgrade, but limited by funds this looks kind of fun. Plus it comes with lessons and the support of our local dealer.
Any thoughts?
Edited to add Not affiliated in any way yada yada (NAYY)
-- Edited on 9/28/13 11:46 AM --

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to tkdnrun <<

Date: 9/28/13 11:56 AM

Is this still supposed to take the place of the Deco 340 or are they keeping that one in the line up? If they do discontinue it, I wish they would have made the the same size hoop capability on the Chicago 7.

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
HI USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

Date: 9/28/13 12:29 PM

Sounds like fun, and a much more competitive price point for Bernina. Might just steal some buyers away from the Juki F600, as it offers embroidery as well.

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/28/13 12:59 PM

It does look cute. I read the whole instruction book though, and they don't mention how you are supposed to get any outside embroidery designs of your choice into it. So I wonder how you do that? Is it on that USB stick? And if so, can you do that with no embroidery software and just a computer, by dropping a more generic and common .dst or .exp formatted embroidery design onto a USB stick? Or does it only take some more proprietary and condensed embroidery format, in .art format, that you really need some additional expensive and costs you more Bernina kind of made software, to even get your outside made embroidery designs into the right format, to transfer to the machine?
-- Edited on 9/28/13 1:00 PM --

Harriet P.
Harriet P.
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

Date: 9/28/13 2:17 PM

HI,
I just glanced at the manual also. It does take a usb thumb drive. It also takes the exp. embroidery file so that you can use any design as long as you can either get it in an exp. file or convert it to the exp. file. It does look like a cute machine. I wonder who makes the machine? It looks a lot like Brother or maybe Janome makes it. My guess is that Brother makes it because a lot of the decorative stitches are the same as what one can find on the lower end embroidery/sewing machines. Harriet

cruzer2013
cruzer2013
Intermediate
Member since 8/11/13
Send Message

Date: 9/28/13 2:18 PM

It looks like it's exp format, so one should be able to use Artlink 6 and transfer to a usb stick to transfer. Just a guess. Another guess is that this machine will be made by Juki. They already have a connection to Bernina with other products and some things look very Juki-ish. Also I know that Juki is coming out with their own embroidery machine, so the timing would be very telling.

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
ME USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 9/28/13 3:58 PM

I love making guesses about where machines come from -

My guess is that the Chicago 7 comes from

here

Ive been thinking this machine would come out as an addition to the Pfaff Ambition line. Because, this factory makes the Ambitions, I guess.

Who knows? It is fun to speculate, though

It sure looks like the same machine to me. With some changes -- but the buttons are in the same place - same function as well as the dimensions and the presser foot lift.

Thats my guess.

------
Quilting up a storm!

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 9/28/13 5:42 PM

I think you may have nailed it !

cruzer2013
cruzer2013
Intermediate
Member since 8/11/13
Send Message

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 9/28/13 6:58 PM

I think you got it!! Some of the other Bernettes were from there.
-- Edited on 9/28/13 6:59 PM --

tkdnrun
tkdnrun
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/15/10
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<

Date: 9/29/13 1:02 AM

Hi copyright72,
I don't think it wil replace the deco as that is an embroidery only machine. This one can sew and embroidery. It is larger than the basic 4x4 begining field offered by brother and babylock ( which are great little machines too) so that might be attractive for those who dont want to out grow their machine as quickly. Usb means you can download any design as long as it is in the machines format (.exp).
To everyone,
Clearly some one is listening and trying to tap into a different market. The 770 by Brother (5*7 field) is the next size up from 4x4 and that machine runs around $600. So for $300 more one gets a bunch of stitches. I wonder if it is made by pfaff. They seem to be improving from their downturn after they left
Germany.
eta: I dont think you need special software either as the deco doesn't require any, the designs just need to be downloaded in the right format. I have a simple brother simplicity with a usb and I use completly different software to edit designs or just make sure the designs are in the correct format and plug in the usb stick.
Cant get my screen to go down far enough to delete the end of the text that got separated.

Germany.
-- Edited on 9/29/13 1:15 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernette Chicago 7

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

StyleArc Milly Knit Dress/Top

photo
by: mrsbewley

Review
Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.