SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Creative Sewing > My Summer of Sewing ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
My Summer of Sewing
I just feel like making notes, hope someone reads!
Handshake
star
Handshake
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/19/13
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 9/29/13 3:15 PM

My Summer of Sewing all started when I wanted a new summer jacket. I found a seamstress in town who heard my request and immediately said she was too busy.

Since I've been sewing since a teenager, but had not sewn anything for about 10 years, I thought OK, I'll give it a shot.

It was typical of me to resume sewing with something so technical, and choosing the wrong fabric, but I made the New Look 6035 in curtain fabric, Started 6th August and it only took 10 days despite serious hiccups along the way.

Also along the way, I found this website and was so lucky to find a keen jacket maker living in USA who became my Jacket-Buddy.

During August I started another jacket (pattern unspecified) with striped material and abandoned it after a few days because it was horrible. At about this time I spent serious money on a new sewing machine, encouraged by Jacket-Buddy.

Knowing that the first jacket could be improved upon, I was keen to make another one, this time lined. I bought Burda 7074 and something else (I've forgotten) and eventually bought and made Burda 8201 in polka dot fabric. I had to construct the lining myself - very stressful round the neck for a shawl-collar jacket - but I got there in the end, finished on 28th August, only 12 days despite the struggles.

In September I started making shirts again - I've made them before but not for years! I started with Vogue 2634 in white, and disliked it so much that I regarded it as my shirt-making-practice and never wore it. This only seems to have taken days, because on 5th September I started on Butterick 5526 in lovely sea-green linen/cotton, which I took on holiday. Since then I've made Butterick 5526 again, this time with long sleeves and in pink gingham, finished yesterday (?).

Without a single day's break, I have bought and rejected Burda 7359 for the next shirt, and have today 29th September cut denim to make McCalls M6044. I am already planning to make a waistcoat (vest in USA) for my husband with left-over denim and I have not even threaded the machine for my own denim shirt yet!

I find all this industry astonishing: Since the 6th August - just under two months - I have made two jackets and three shirts (and part-sewed another jacket). I have a job, a home, a husband with all his needs to attend to (shopping, cooking, ironing, etc.) and a job (paid work, must be done!) and can only sew for an hour or two at the most per day. I now have a new sewing machine, a big bag of sewing things (USA = notions) and have learned SO MUCH along the way!

And the 'way' ain't over yet. The current shirt (cut today) will have snaps. I am already excited about sewing a boyfriend western style shirt with snaps. How crazy is that?

Thanks for reading, and THANKS for all your help and encouragement, pattern review people.

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/29/13 4:27 PM

Wow! You take my breath away with your industriousness. Good for you for following your heart and de idling to sew for your self when you were unable to find someone to do that first jacket project. Wishing you many more successes along the way.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 9/29/13 4:31 PM

Congratulations! You are clearly on a roll. Fun, isn't it? !! (For me, I consider a roll one garment in a month. )

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Handshake <<

Date: 9/29/13 5:57 PM

Good for you and welcome to PR! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm about sewing again. I was in the same shape a couple of years ago and like you I had some successes and some well some disasters. I found that my skills and knowledge was still there (as a teenager the only clothes I wore were the ones I made) but trying to fit myself is still a guessing game most of the time. I still haven't attempted a jacket/blazer; I used to be quite good at those and made my husband several (that was way back in the day) so I admire how you went for it!
You are sewing up a storm! It is very addicting so sounds like you are hooked again! So, what machine did you buy? Curious minds will want to know

Handshake
star
Handshake
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/19/13
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 9/30/13 2:02 PM

Quote: Marie367
Good for you and welcome to PR! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm about sewing again. I was in the same shape a couple of years ago and like you I had some successes and some well some disasters. I found that my skills and knowledge was still there (as a teenager the only clothes I wore were the ones I made) but trying to fit myself is still a guessing game most of the time. I still haven't attempted a jacket/blazer; I used to be quite good at those and made my husband several (that was way back in the day) so I admire how you went for it!

You are sewing up a storm! It is very addicting so sounds like you are hooked again! So, what machine did you buy? Curious minds will want to know

Hi Eleanor Anne and Marie

Thanks for replying!

I have realised that, if a sewing project is not challenging in some way, it simply ain't worth my while doing. Who wants easy? Pah to that.

Marie, it's a Janome, review here: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sm/readsmreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=5133

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Handshake <<

Date: 9/30/13 6:19 PM

Aw a Janome. I have a Janome 6600. I kind of like easy I sew alot of knits which was a challenge in another way. I am thinkng about doing a jacket of some sort this fall. Your enthusiasm is contagious!

JocelynJ
JocelynJ
Intermediate
Member since 11/29/11
Send Message

Date: 9/30/13 6:52 PM

You are awe inspiring, Handshake! I am retired and just today got my machine threaded to finish my blouse--and I am celebrating

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to Handshake <<

Date: 9/30/13 8:48 PM

Wow, I'm in awe! And I'm glad you posted- just reading your thread is inspiring. I feel like turning on the sm right this minute.

By the way, what kind of snaps will you use? pearlescent, or a color? And are they set with a Snapsetter or something else?

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

In reply to ShantiSeamstressing <<

Date: 10/1/13 5:33 AM

I'm also inspired to go sew something now! Thanks for the smile and long may your enthusiasm continue

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 10/1/13 6:53 AM

Enjoyed reading about your summer and sewing experiences. It was inspirational and encouraging.

------
sewing grammy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> My Summer of Sewing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

StyleArc Jessica Dress

photo
by: thewall

Review
Burda 7323

photo
by: chenille

Review
You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.