SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Losing Weight and Sewing ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Losing Weight and Sewing
KathrynL
KathrynL  Friend of PR
Member since 2/2/13
Send Message

Date: 10/1/13 11:21 AM

I am just getting back into sewing. Here is my question. I have some lovely material, but I am also in the process of losing another 40 lbs. Do I wait to sew until I am closer to my goal to begin sewing.

SpitfireGal
SpitfireGal
Beginner
Idaho USA
Member since 9/24/13
Send Message

Date: 10/1/13 12:04 PM

I have been saving some fabric that I got while pregnant - I've been using other fabric to make wearable stuff and work on my techniques, but I'm saving the really special stuff for once I know what size I'll be + my sewing skills catch up. HTH

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/1/13 12:19 PM

Well, only you can decide that. But my 2 cents, it is important to look and feel good while you lose the weight. Look for some patterns that are forgiving over several sizes and make yourself something you like.

You don't mention the type of fabric. Skirts can be easily downsized when they become too loose. Some cardi and jacket patterns will work over several sizes.

There is always more fabric - go for it

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/1/13 1:34 PM

Sew it now- and sew something that makes you feel great at the weight you are. If we feel better about how we look it is easier to work towards a goal.
I really should practice what I preach!!

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/1/13 1:51 PM

It sort of depends how quickly you lose weight and what you are sewing. Personally, I've chosen not to sew things that need a tremendous amount of fitting work and take a lot of time to finish (anything like a coat, for example), just because it's very hard to get great fit when you're fitting a moving target. On the other hand, easy, fun projects with fabric I love I will sew. Partly though that's because I don't actually have that many clothes at my current weight. My choices are that I go out and buy badly fitting cheap dreck to fill in the gaps between my current weight and my goal weight, or I sew to fill the gaps. I'd rather sew. I have a friend though who has a wardrobe at every possible size she has ever been, and she has basically stopped sewing clothes altogether for a while and is doing other things while she loses weight.

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 10/1/13 2:01 PM

Weight Loss and Style Choices with SureFit Designs (video)

This video is from the SureFit Designs (SFD) video library, so part of the video is Glenda explaining her sewing pattern product, however, she does have some good general suggestions for styles that can be more easily altered as you lose weight (mostly pants & tops), and some other tips for sewing as you are losing weight.

CMC
PS: I'm not in anyway associated with SFD, yada, yada, yada, and you don't need to buy SFD to take advantage of Glenda's advice.

***Edited to fix the link.

-- Edited on 10/1/13 2:08 PM --
-- Edited on 10/1/13 2:10 PM --

-- Edited on 10/1/13 6:03 PM --

forestfloor
forestfloor
Member since 12/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/1/13 3:53 PM

First of all, enormous amounts of congratulations on losing the weight! Good for you. I agree with other posters, If you have something you love, make something for yourself now. I think too often we hold onto the best stuff for the "someday" we hope will come. But the realist in me says to try something that is forgiving or maybe, if you have enough, could you make a little something...even a collar or belt with your special fabric and then go full tilt on an outfit when you reach your goal? You go girl. Best of luck...big hug!

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 10/1/13 5:38 PM

Your link is brings me back to this page

-- Edited on 10/1/13 5:39 PM --

SpitfireGal
SpitfireGal
Beginner
Idaho USA
Member since 9/24/13
Send Message

Date: 10/1/13 5:44 PM

wanted to add that Debbie Cook lost a good deal of weight last year and blogged about sewing during it, and altering her stuff that had gotten too big. Her blog is Stitches and Seams

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 10/1/13 6:03 PM

IMO, it depends on what the material is, and what kind of garment it will be made into, and where/when you would wear that garment.

For example - is it winter weight or summer weight? If winter weight (and intended for an everyday garment) then sew something now - or use it to reward yourself in January. If summer weight, pack it away until spring and see what your weight/shape/size is then.

If it is special occasion fabric, do you have an occasion coming up? How soon/long until the occasion (wedding next summer, Christmas party, big anniversary (or whatever) party even sooner)? What is your weight loss goal for that time period?

Whatever you decide, be sure to make a muslin - so you are sure of the size and style (and that you will enjoy sewing it) before you cut into the special fabric. It can be a wearable muslin - or maybe you will like "it" so much that you will want multiple versions anyway - use those versions to get good at the pattern before the special fabric is used.

I also like the idea to make something simple (loose top, skirt) and after the weight loss it can be refashioned.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Losing Weight and Sewing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

McCall's 6348

photo
by: RebeccaMar...

Review
StyleArc Becky Yoga Pant

photo
by: clothingen...

Review
J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens

Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.