Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > Bodice Boning? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bodice Boning?
kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 12/28/12
Login to reply to this post

Date: 10/1/13 11:24 AM

I'm making this pattern for my daughters wedding. The pattern does not call for boning but is it something I should consider and why?

------
Runs with scissors
Universal Deluxe Zig Zag from the 60's
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
Singer Treadle 127 Egyptian
Juki MO 735

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 10/1/13 12:49 PM

I wouldn't think it's strictly necessary for a gown like this. Since it has shoulder straps, you won't need the boning to help keep the dress up. My wedding gown was similar (portrait neckline, sleeves, wide V-back) and had no boning. But underneath it I wore a Very Serious Longline Bra with underwires and lots of boning. If your DD doesn't intend to wear special (or, well, any) undergarments with it, then you'll probably want boning so the bodice can do some of the work of maintaining her shape.

That said, boning can help keep the dress's smooth lines through a long day of sitting, standing, dancing, etc. Even when wearing period gowns over corsetry, I'll often put in a couple strategic bones just to keep the dress smooth.

HTH!

------
~Gem in the prairie

MaryDB
star
MaryDB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 2/9/08

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 10/1/13 2:28 PM

I agree with Stirwaters about the boning. If you want to maintain a smoother line, yes, put in a few pieces of light boning.

The weight of the dress will be supported by the shoulders. I would recommend putting in a waist stay, or a pseudo waist stay to make it a little more comfortable for your dd, and not drag down so much - that's a big dress. One of the posters here recommends sewing a grosgrain ribbon in the side seams and attaching in the back under the dress with bra hooks. I did this on my dd's wedding dress, and also on several other formal gowns for her, and this works great.

Edited to add: Actually not grosgrain, but petersham; you can get this in the drapery trim department at Joann or Hancock.
-- Edited on 10/1/13 2:30 PM --

kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 12/28/12

Date: 10/2/13 1:40 PM

I've been doing some homework on boning and have found lots of different types. Most of what I have found so far are covered and some that are steel and some that claim to be lightweight.
I did a quick search here and found an old thread where someone replied (I think Stirwatersblue) that they used cable ties (aka zip-ties) for the boning. Would I be able to use them for the boning in this dress or would they be too thick or to stiff?
-- Edited on 10/2/13 2:07 PM --

------
Runs with scissors
Juki MO 735

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08

Date: 10/2/13 8:43 PM

I would probably use something like featherweight or Rigiline. Steel is for Serious Corsetry (and it's heavy), and cable ties--which I use all the time--are a good choice for Elizabethan clothing, which has a very different silhouette than you're dealing with. They'd be overkill for a dress like this, I think. But all you really want your boning to do is help the dress keep its shape--a gently curving modern silhouette, not the extremes of the corsetry eras--and dressmaking boning is what you want for that.They're also really easy to work with. Featherweight boning comes in rolls, already in casings (you iron it--boning, casing, and all--to remove the curve), and IIRC, you can just sew through Rigilene.

Good luck! Boning is one of those things that seems intimidating, but is actually easy-peasy, hardly any technique involved at all!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Catina
Catina
Expert/Couture
Member since 10/6/11

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 10/3/13 7:37 AM

I definitely second the recommendation of the Rigiline. It is lightweight, strong, thin and very easy to sew. However, the cut edges can unravel and the rigid strands of plastic "poke out" and the ends and can HURT! In manufacturing, it is common to just cover the ends with cotton or a little fusing, but those "thorns" can still poke through! What I do with those ends is heat seer them so the ends fuse together and will never unravel. Then I cover those ends with fusing or bias cut cotton that I have ironed heat n' bond to.... kind of creating a cotton "fusing" if you will.

I always put the boning in the inner layer of the innerlining/lining closest to the body, and those layers fit a wee bit tighter than the dress outer layers. This way the outer layer always falls smoothly without being strained with puckers.

------
Creatively Yours,
Catina Ferraine

www.CatinaFerraine.com
www.RawEdgeDevelopment.com
www.FashionForwardDevelopment.com

kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 12/28/12

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 10/18/13 12:05 PM

Quote: stirwatersblue
Featherweight boning comes in rolls, already in casings (you iron it--boning, casing, and all--to remove the curve

When you say casing do you mean the fabric type covering that I see some on some different types?

Should I be looking for covered boning since I've never used it before? I would think since it's covered it would be more comfortable.

I am hoping to get into Joann's over the weekend and pick some up so I can try my hand at installing. I'm actually a little excited about trying this!

------
Runs with scissors
Juki MO 735

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08

Date: 10/19/13 6:09 PM

The bones absolutely must be covered *somehow,* both to keep them in place, as well as to protect your skin from the boning (think the underwires in your bra). That can either be a casing (a tube of fabric into which you insert the boning, or that comes on the boning when you buy it), or with channels sewn into the layers of fabric. I have far more experience with the latter, because of the nature of the corsetry I've done. However, I have done a couple of projects where, when boning is inserted along seams, you actually fold back and tack down the seam allowances to act as the casings.

My guess for your project is that casings would make the most sense.

Here is a photo of boning channels sewn into a canvas corset.

Here's a good example of boning done with casings, on a dress bodice. This would be similar to the application you're doing. In this case, it appears that the seamstress used something like satin ribbon for the casings, which would work, altho' I'd prefer pre-made casing or bias tape. You would probably want to add an additional layer of lining to cover the casings.

This looks like an excellent tutorial from Sewaholic, "Sewing a Boned Bodice with Plastic Boning." She probably covers everything! The only thing I'd do differently is straightening the boning. She boils it, which to me seems needlessly complicated! I just iron mine. :)
-- Edited on 10/19/13 6:11 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AZ USA
Member since 12/26/11

Date: 10/19/13 7:07 PM

StirWater you make amazing garb and thank you for the links to helpful information on boning and casings!

Last set of bodices made (I use a combo covered boning for the Princess seams at breast line) and Home Depot electric ties which are really thick! haha

But the covered boning at Joann's is about the right weight for this lovely Wedding dress! A good pair of scissors helps "round" the tips after you peal some of the fabric away to cut your section - I've used nippers as well, and love to have a pair of new Toe Nail clippers to really round those edges, pull the boning fabric back over, and also set the ends in the Seam Allowance without being pokey...

Looked at this dress, how beautiful this is to create for her!

Saw you were going to J's this weekend and wondered how your adventure went?

Debbie

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to kowgiirl.up <<

Date: 10/20/13 2:10 AM

You probably don't need a foundation with this style, but there was a lovely article in an old Threads Magazine (#40 Apr/May 1992
“Draping a Gown on a Fitted Tulle Foundation,” Pg 44) showing one way to make a couturier boned tulle foundation on which the finished garment is draped.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> Bodice Boning?

Merchants on PR
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Basics
Fee: $14.99
(Regular $14.99)
Sewing Basics

Online Sewing Classes
Fit the Tee to a T
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Fit the Tee to a T

BurdaStyle Downloadable 08-2012 109 Printed Blouse
photo
Review by MadeByMeg on 1/14/14
Read Review

J Stern Designs Misses Jeans Pattern
J Stern Designs Misses Jeans Pattern

Details
Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Veronica Pocketbook
Veronica Pocketbook

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver S Field Trip Cargo Pants and Raglan T-Shirt Digital Pattern ( Size 5-12 )
Oliver   S Field Trip Cargo Pants and Raglan T-Shirt Digital Pattern ( Size 5-12 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Salme Bib Top Digital Pattern
Salme Bib Top Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6843
photo
Review by BettyMike on 7/13/06
Read Review

Kwik Sew 0129 Pattern
Kwik Sew 0129 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 2662 Pattern
Burda 2662 Pattern

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN